Members
Latest Member
bsimon7074

Deadlift Block Pulls > 1RM

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
In a couple of weeks, I'm going to have a deadlift session in which it will be my first attempt at doing block pulls above my 1RM. In the past, I've done them in the 90-95% range for doubles or triples off of two plates. I'd like to go 105 or 110% of my 1RM for singles but I'm not sure how many plates I should stack? I'm 5'2" and have short legs, long arms, so I'm not sure if I should stick with two plates or go higher?

Any thoughts/suggestions/critiques would be helpful, thanks!

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Hmmmm I generally do 18 inch height. I'm 5'6 and that's just below my knees. My weak spot is about mid shin

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
My deadlift PB is 418.

In terms of relating that to block pulls I could pull 440 off three plates Chris, but I'm a little taller than you at 5'8".

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I like the 4 inch blocks. It let's you use heavier weights but at the same time isn't so high that it's really just for ego or strongman.

How about instead of just saying I will pull 105% you just keep pulling and use your perceived max for the block pull. When you feel like you have pulled a 9 out of 10 perceived difficulty you are pretty much there. Because it's not off the floor it will of course be higher than your deadlift. But you might surprise yourself and hit 150%. Who knows.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Buddy, go for it and load the fukkers up. My 1RM was high 4's (hadn't tested more than triples at the time) and I block pulled 545 off of 8 inch blocks.....felt awesome to hold that weight. There's a pic somewhere on here of it.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Does your own height have anything to do with how high you would set the block at? I'm thinking no, as varying the height if the block pulls will offer different benefits but interested to hear opinions.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Does your own height have anything to do with how high you would set the block at? I'm thinking no, as varying the height if the block pulls will offer different benefits but interested to hear opinions.

I don't think so either. 4 inches of the rom is 4 inches.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I don't think so either. 4 inches of the rom is 4 inches.
I hear you POB, but wondering if that would matter if you're applying it to someone that is 5ft tall and another guy that is 6'5"?

I'm sure I am overthinking something that doesn't have much bearing on anything lol.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011

The higher the block the less carryover it actually has to increasing your conventional deadlift. That's why people can rack pull a house but still have a lackluster deadlift.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
The higher the block the less carryover it actually has to increasing your conventional deadlift. That's why people can rack pull a house but still have a lackluster deadlift.
Good to know.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Block pulls are good for lots of different things- and every one has a use.

The higher blocks are great for getting your nervous system used to handling big weights. They'll also test your grip and get you used to how the bar will respond with different weights. Great for building the upper back too.

The lower blocks are great for working a sticking point or just saving your lower back if you are jacked up from squatting.

Carry over is different for everyone depending on build and sticking point.
For example, my wife pulls a bit over 320lbs either sumo or conventional and weighs around 130 at 5'. I pull upper 7's conventional at 6'4" and 330#.
I can pull mid-9s from 2" below my knee my wife pulls less from below her knee than she can off the floor - it's just an awkward starting point for her.
Off of a 2" block I can pull low/mid 8s and my wife can pull upper 3s.

Everyone is different. My suggestion is to do one of two things. Either, pick a weight you have a good shot at for your next contest and start getting used to handling it off of higher blocks then work down to a lower block every other week. Or, pull from the floor until you miss, then put the same weight on a block and pull it. Keep adding weight and blocks until you are pulling from just above the knee.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic