Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

Deadlift bar question?

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
So, getting geared for my first meet and I had not used a deadlift bar in training before this week when I did just a few sets to get the feel for it. The bar actually belong to the personal trainer who uses it for his clients.

Anyway, my question is, when you do you just grip and rip or take the tension out when setting up and then lift?

Thanks,
Hawk

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Not using a DL bar in training gives you a great advantage.

Assuming you pull conventionally you will set up, grab the bar however you do it and then as you start to bring the hips down and chest out and up and tighten the legs just pull a bit and you will feel the whip. Take a smooth hard pull from there. Couple hundred pounds of tension assuming you pull over say 500.

Don't attempt to do it Dan Green style and yank it off the floor.

One thing to watch for is don't pull the slack out too hard. If the plates come off the ground and for whatever reason they set back down that is your pull. 3 red lights.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You don't want to grip and rip b/c you'll lose some of your power that way. The bar will flex a bit before it breaks the floor. You want to pull the slack out of the bar before you begin your pull.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Thanks for the explanation POB with support from brotheriron. I do pull conventional, but suck ass at DLing. Fortunately, I am weak off the floor so I could use the help.

Hawk

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
I recently purchased fatgripz, the premise being use these and then when you dl without them you will be able to pull more? given the only thing that changes is lighter weight and bar thickness.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I recently purchased fatgripz, the premise being use these and then when you dl without them you will be able to pull more? given the only thing that changes is lighter weight and bar thickness.

That's the same premise when you use a standard bar to pull with. A deadlift bar is thinner which makes it eaiser for you to grip/hold the bar while pulling.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
The thinner bar, better knurling, and more flex will make everything feel lighter.

Preload the bar as you sit back on to your heels then blast up using your quads. If you time it right the bar will whip just below your knees and carry you through the sticking point at the bottom of the knee.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic