Dead Lift Form Critique

Discussion in 'Powerlifting Training and Strength techniques' started by Turbolag, Nov 26, 2014.

1. BrotherIron

BrotherIron TID Board Of Directors

Mar 6, 2011
    Rounding the upper back isn't something that's frowned upon... actually one of the most famour pullers, KK, deadlifts with a rounded upper back (while keeping his lower back flat aka... neutral).

woodswise likes this.
  2. Turbolag

Turbolag TID's Official Donut Tester

Oct 14, 2012
    Thanks for the replies.

I have an idea of what to work on now.

Question though: Should I try to arch my back when I dead lift like you do when you squat?

3. BrotherIron

Mar 6, 2011
    You don't mean arched. You shouldn't arch your back when you pull or squat. You should keep your back neutral or flat.

Turbolag likes this.
  4. Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
    Ah ok. Do you ever see videos of Louie coaching people and then telling them to arch? What does he mean?

5. BrotherIron

Mar 6, 2011
    Probably just his cue for flat back. If you're arched... then your back isn't in it's strongest position b/c it's curved and weight on a curved back isn't as strong as a flat back.

Turbolag likes this.
  6. Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
    Ahhhhh ok. Thanks. Gonna have to remember this.

7. BrotherIron

Mar 6, 2011
    You'll hear a lot of coaches now use the cue... neutral spine which means flat back.

Turbolag likes this.
  8. Halo

Halo TID Board Of Directors

Jul 5, 2011
    I concur with all of the comments and suggestions. In the end though the deadlift is the craziest of the three lifts people can do this shit so different and frighteningly and still pull it off. I always try to be exacting but know that trying small variations can yield a big return. I've had to concede a couple of form changes that I had a hard time watching but the results were worth while.

Turbolag likes this.