Dead Lift Form Critique

Discussion in 'Powerlifting Training and Strength techniques' started by Turbolag, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Turbolag

Turbolag TID's Official Donut Tester

Oct 14, 2012
    Here is some video from todays session. Squats are first in the video, then deadlifts. I tried to change some stuff up on dead lifts, but it still doesn't look right. How come my back is not straight? It looks kinda rounded? I liked the idea of pushing your pelvis into the bar. I did this today, and it helped.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2016
  2. Go Away

Go Away TID Board Of Directors

Dec 28, 2011
    Are you left handed? Noticed that's the hand you face outward.

With the hip thrust, don't over extend backwards. Just hump the bar into the position that'll get you a green light. Bending backwards like that is putting unneeded pressure on your lower vertebrae.

The hip positioning is much better though. Still lots of room for improvement, as we all have.

And make sure on your squats you're doing the same hip thrusting as you do in the deadlift. It's a game changer.

No clue why the upper back is rounded before initiating the pull. Maybe because you aren't pulling your shoulders back hard enough? PillarofBalance EastCoast1 BrotherIron Halo MJR woodswise thoughts?

Turbolag likes this.
  3. BrotherIron

BrotherIron TID Board Of Directors

Mar 6, 2011
    I think turning his elbows in would help with that.

Turbolag likes this.
  4. woodswise

woodswise TID Board Of Directors

Apr 29, 2012
    My coach says to position my feet (and my shins) so I am coming up in a straight line with the weight. If you watch the weight as you D/L you are having to go forward to get past your knees. That tells me your feet are too far forward. I recommend moving your feet back an inch or two and see if the bar comes up in a straight line.

For me, I position my feet so when I look down from standing up straight, the bar is right over the joints in my big toe. When I bend down to grab the bar, my shins just about touch the bar when I am at my lowest point. Then I raise my hips slightly and straighten my arms, keeping my chin down on my chest (this rounds my upper back) while keeping my lower back flat. Then I dip slightly and at the bottom, start pulling. As I do so, I picture myself being lifted from the point at the base of my neck (the knob between my shoulders) like a puppet on a string. This technique has dramatically increased the weights I can deadlift.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2016
    Turbolag and Go Away like this.
  5. PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance Strength Pimp Staff Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Turbo you look way leaner for starters. Awesome.

Your upper back is round because you made it that way. Your posture isn't great and may be a weakness in the upper back. Fix both.

More upper back work. Get your upper back tighter before you pull.

Halo, Turbolag and Go Away like this.
  6. Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
    Thanks a lot man for helping. Going to keep working on this.

Thanks man. Can you explain this please?

7. Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
    Thanks a lot WW for all the detail and taking the time to write it. Really appreciate it.

Thanks man. I'm about 232 right now.

When you say posture, do you in general or dead lift posture?

8. PillarofBalance

Feb 27, 2011
    Hold your arms straight out with palms down. Now turn thumbs pointing up. Squeeze your armpit. Back is not tight.

In general. Bit of a slouch

9. Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
    Is there someone who goes over correct posture.

Ive always been a little self conscious of posture because I didn't want to look like I was trying too hard. But I also want my neck and back to be healthy.

10. PillarofBalance

Feb 27, 2011
    You can't fake it so don't try to. Stronger upper back will mostly do it.

11. BrotherIron

BrotherIron TID Board Of Directors

Mar 6, 2011
    It's just a cue. Turning your elbows inward help keep your chest up and even engage your lats.

12. woodswise

woodswise TID Board Of Directors

Apr 29, 2012
    @PillarofBalance I know conventional wisdom when deadlifting is to keep your back flat, including the upper back. But I have seen my coach contradict that wisdom by rounding the upper back while keeping the lower back flat, and take his deadlifts, then mine, then other deadlifters' deadlifts through the roof. He says by tucking your chin (putting your chin down on your chest) and rounding your upper back, you are shortening the distance you have to lift the weight.

He talks about lifting as though you have a marionette (puppet) string attached to your spine at the base of your neck, and having your shoulder blades relaxed and forward and tucking your chin, then lifting the weight in a straight line. When I do this, I find I have better leverage and can lift heavier weights. I realize it sounds crazy, but he knows what he is doing and it works.

Last edited: May 1, 2016