Latest Member
Kiddorism

Dead Lift Form Critique

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
PoB and BI nailed it......

Start your pull by grabbing the bar. Squeeze your back tight and then sit back. You'll feel your hamstrings pull tight - that's going to help pop off of the floor. Honestly, with this light of a weight you'll probably have the bar 2" off the floor by the time you really wedge in. If you need a visual cue, try keeping your knees and ankles in line, shins vertical.

The belt is definitely too low. It's causing you to hunch to get to the bar.

Here's a question for you Porky.... I tried wearing my belt high (George Leeman high) and I just couldn't do it. I wear it on my belly button but wearing it a good bit above just didn't sit well for me. It threw me off completely. I've heard from those who feel you should wear it high and from others not to. Just wondering what your insight on that is....

Perhaps, I should just work it and in time I'll get used to it.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I have to move the belt up next time, no doubt. It was pinching me so bad each time I did a rep it was painful, and it was making it hard to focus on form.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Good advice already here.

I just want to emphasize the suggestions .. ditch the touch and go, and do full re-sets. Especially if you're wanting to take care of that back. It's a lot easier to stay true to safe and proper form with resets in between the reps.

Nice to see you doing deads man. :D

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Nice work, Tub. One thing, your neck is cranked up a bit. You don't need your head up like that as if it were a squat.
An ideal head position would be in line with your spine with your eyes focused 4-6 feet out n front on the floor.
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Thanks Chris and CTJ for the input!

That helps a lot!

Can't wait to implement all of this.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Ass down head up that's the way we like to ....... Lift.
Good job

Not sure I can add anything further with all the good lifting advice provided.

My only comment is: ass down and head up might be good for lifting, but otherwise my advice for the ladies is head down and ass up.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Here's a question for you Porky.... I tried wearing my belt high (George Leeman high) and I just couldn't do it. I wear it on my belly button but wearing it a good bit above just didn't sit well for me. It threw me off completely. I've heard from those who feel you should wear it high and from others not to. Just wondering what your insight on that is....

Perhaps, I should just work it and in time I'll get used to it.

A high belt is relative based off of the size, fatness, and shape of your torso.... for me that means the bottom of the belt is right around or a RCH above my belly button. Basically, you just want to wear the belt around the part of your gut that you can push out. That'll be different for everyone.

As for Head up vs. straight....... that is individual. Obviously a lifter can overdo it in either direction, but it's not a big deal.

Seriously though, little things can help IF there's a problem.... but, don't nitpick - especially with lighter weights. Unless there's a breakdown in form don't worry about it as much.
The guys that nitpick the scientific studies " well, blinking your left eye yields a 1.75% increase in power" ...... those guys rarely amount to plop other than swinging their dink around on the bodybuilding forums. Go and push as hard as you can, when something breaks down then look for fixes.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Here's a video from today's dead lift workout. I have noticed that I feel stronger with my back slightly rounded, instead of having my back completely straight.

Any critique or input?

[video]https://youtu.be/LECzP5DSu84[/video]

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic