Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Dead 585x5 (dropped the belt for my last 3 reps) and some other fun!

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
With the kids out of school and other activities, it gave me the time to visit my old gym. Boy I miss this place! My training the last few months has been ho-hum and I have not been lifting real heavy. Been a few months since I even deadlifted. Decided to jump in with some guys. Went up to 585. Did 2 and my belt felt like sh!t. (gained too much weight and it felt too tight). I stripped it off and continued the set and did 3 more. My buddy stopped filming, and then restarted when he figured out I was still going. ;)

Never deadlifted 585 with no belt....was just pissed off enough that I stripped off the belt and said fuk it! Felt fine.

Later as I was finishing up, some guys were doing farmers walks. I have never done them before so I decided to try. These are 205lbs (handles weigh 25lbs). It is very different. Quite a core workout. The handles have no knurling so I was thinking grip might be a issue.....but it was no big deal. Did not want to push it as I deadlifted heavy earlier so I did two sets and see how I feel tomorrow!

I needed this a lot. Getting ready to go on a extended cut starting after the new year.

Happy new years guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
StrongLyfe

StrongLyfe

Mr. Worxx
Aug 25, 2012
Well I'll be damned, doing 200lb farmers walk after pulling 585 sure must have taken a good bit out of you but you seemed to have more in the tank!

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Nice. What's your body weight up to now?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
God dammit... I can do the 585 for 5. Not belt less though...

Happy New Year Mac!

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Hell of an effort. Not even close to doing that right now! Good shit.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Damn mac huge pulling! Looked like you held form well for all reps too. You definitely looked meaner once that belt came off! Awesome day!

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Wha? Holy Sheeit...

Well I'll be damned, doing 200lb farmers walk after pulling 585 sure must have taken a good bit out of you but you seemed to have more in the tank!

Thanks guys. Felt good to have a good workout. Just goes to show the impact a good environment can have on you. My other gym is loaded with chrome and treadmills...... Not a fun place to workout!

Nice. What's your body weight up to now?

Decided to run my first extended cal surplus in over a year and a half. I have stayed at 203-205 fairly lean. I upped cals almost 3 months ago. Scale is scrubbing 227 now. I have picked up fat for sure but not much noticeable sub-q. Mostly vat which gives me a bigger waist. Good news is vat is so easy to drop.

Looking at the numbers of the 20-22lbs I am guessing 10lbs is water/glycogen and of the remaining 10lbs it is possible I gained 5 lbs. I am happy with that for sure.

Going on extended cut now. Goal is to get leaner then I have been in a long time. Guessing i will be right back at 200ish....

God dammit... I can do the 585 for 5. Not belt less though...

Happy New Year Mac!

I did not even think about the belt. I just knew I did not like the way it felt and I was pissed it was screwing up my set. It wasn't till after that I realized I have never lifted that much beltless. Was no big deal really. Lookinh at the bid, it does seem like it slowed down my pull some but I did not feel it while doing it.

Hell of an effort. Not even close to doing that right now! Good shit.

Thanks man. It had been a few months off deads for me. Truthfully I had no idea what I had in me. I was pleasently surprised I have not fallen off too far from not training them.

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
Yeah buddy ! I wish I had those handles for farmers walk but I do it with hex bar on occasion

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Yeah buddy ! I wish I had those handles for farmers walk but I do it with hex bar on occasion

The independent handles definitely add some to the movement. I was surprised at the amount of muscle activation there was stabilizing them as I walked. It was very 'dynamic'. You have to be careful not to let any oscillations build up. I filmed my 2nd run at them. The first one was more ugly ;). I found holding a slight shrug helped me control the weight more as I transferred more from foot to foot.

I cant wait for some nicer days, we around going to bring them outside to the back parking lot and have some more room. Most of the guys I end up working out with are bigger dudes. Although I am stronger in many movements then they are, having an extra 75-100lbs on your frame makes carrying these easier. I noticed I get 'thrown around' more by the weight than they do.

This will be a keeper for sure! I am surprised though I am not the least bit sore from yesterdays workout. Especially because it has been months since I had last done deads. I was really hoping for some good upper back tightness. Time to step it up on the walks next time!

Happy new year!

Allrippedup

Allrippedup

VIP Member
Apr 7, 2012
Great stuff! I'm at a hardcore gym like yours only yours looks a lot nicer. You just inspired my dead workout for tonight. We have farmers walk handles so I'm definitely going to include them. Nice work, bro! I'm going for a 500 dead in a meet in early April. Grabbed 475 last time in the 181 / 55-59 class. Been working on form the past year so we'll see.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Just bumping this. That vid I orignally posted was my last dead workout before I started cutting. I was 227 in it. I have been cutting since Jan 1 and am down right at 30lbs. (just passed under 200lbs). Not cycling, just normal HRT. It is a little demoralizing seeing the scale dip that low. We become attached to our fat at times. I have decided to finally 'pay the piper and cut further than I have been willing to go in the past'. Pretty lean right now, but I am going to keep going. Not all the way to contest, but up to about a few weeks out.

To make myself feel better, I went in tonight to lift something heavy. I picked deads. I dont feel so bad or so much like a skinny b!tch after my workout ;). Heavy deads will do that to you. I think I had one or two more in me, but I did not want to push it as I have not been lifting deads in some time.

Overall pretty happy for a 'skinny' guy under 200. ;) Where is SAD when you need him?

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic