Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Day Trading or Long term?

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012
Yes, up to 3k each year and previous year's losses can be carried over for up to 7 years.

but if you buy the stock back within 30 days.....that's null and void.

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012
Shorted ACAD today and it bounced so hard I lost money after being up 700+. Luckily AMRN saved the day and tanked. Shorted it at 6.30 and honestly didn't think it would make it to almost 5 bucks!

Do you use Limit Orders to cover....or do you just let it ride ?

danrojigga

danrojigga

Rottens Pimp
May 24, 2011
I got in on uahc at .08 a few weeks ago and sold at .15 I set on it for a week. My first two buys were stupid got ggsm at .0014 and uomo at .05 lost my ass so I'm sitting on them. I need to see what you guys are doing. Suxks losing but sure is fun to make 100% profit.

BLTC

BLTC

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2010
tvix is a garbage instrument IMHO. There are better way to get your piece, BLTC! come on, buddy.

you're right but how else can I play volatility? spxu sucks and im too much of a simpleton to use options.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Proshares and Ishares have very good ETFs I use for exposure to commodities, indexes, the VIX, currencies, etc.

As far as being long on commodities and shorting the broad equity markets, I'm down upper single digits to low double digits overall on those portions of my portfolio YTD. I'm up low double digits on crude and pretty much down somewhat on things like gold, silver, nat gas, platinum, etc. Up slightly on a small palladium position. Still holding lots of cash, and have been selling off more and more of my long positions in the last 11 months.

I had a short on HLF about a year and a half ago that I held a few months that did well for several months. I covered completely and got out once Ichan and others started getting in long. But I recently bought a put on it, along with puts on TSLA, JCP, and NFLX (which I also still have a small long stock position in).

I had been long on AAPL for years, but sold most of it early this year. But I recently bought more.

I've largely gotten away from long positions on very many stocks, but I have done well YTD on a limited # of holdings.

I have had long positions in: IEP, UHAL, BIDU, RGR, SWHC, AWH, BPL, OUTR, FRX, ECPG, CBST, CHK, XIN, GPOR, EOG, ROST, AIRM, ANDE, ANW, CLR, and a few others here and there.

And you always get hosed here and there on a few, of course. CTXS got pounded good a few days ago.

A few bucks in very speculative holdings: CVVT, AMAP, VNET, GGAL, AIR, CYOU, DQ, BLDP.

Sold the little LNG I bought several years ago after a great run it's had. Also sold GTAT after a great run up YTD. CYH too.

Made a killing earlier in the year on a short term buy of EBIX after it lost over 50% in a week on some scandal that seemed minor and isolated and seemed to quickly blow over. The stock quickly recovered, then shot up on news that GS bought them out a short time later. I thankfully sold out completely on that news, then the stock soon dropped again when the sale did not go through due to some sort of accounting irregularities.

Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
Do you use Limit Orders to cover....or do you just let it ride ?

I usually sell half and let the other half ride if it looks good. KERX I sold too early yesterday. Gotta stick with the plan!

BLTC

BLTC

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2010
so does that mean we'll pull back after this debt ceiling/budget "agreement"?

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
We've been walking on broken glass for years. The Fed continues to keep rates down and won't taper, and the recovery has been very sluggish. And just about everyone in Washington seems to only be concerned with the short term polls and doing whatever they have to do to keep everyone's 401ks artificially inflated - so they can not cause or get blamed for this or that short term crisis, and can get votes and hopefully win this or that next election. There's very little regard for the big picture, and very few have the courage to tackle the big issues such as the $17 trillion, true economic recovery and growth, jobs, entitlements, the budget, etc.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
4 letters.... GILD. It's been on fire, Biotech has been solid during all this.

Yeah, I'm no stranger to that one either - it's one of the more stable and fundamentally sound biotechs. In fact we've talked about it in this very thread a few months ago. :D

I sold off half of my ANW when that announcement came out earlier in the week about them issuing those notes (which dropped the price a good 15% or so) - I'd already made right at triple digits YTD with it. It's not something I have a huge amount of $ in anyway. I'm big on energy stocks these days for many reasons, but I do spread the risk out among a number of different companies - particularly with the more speculative companies.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic