Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

cutting, what reps and sets

E

earthbuddy

Nov 8, 2010
Im in a cut now after bulking for a bit. Since calories are dropping, cardio is going up, how should my lifting change? Looking for hypertrophy so holding onto what size I have built the last year is tops while cutting the fat. Im at 152 at 18% or so BF now looking to get to 10% by end of may so calories and cardo will be changing to favor fat loss.

As I understand, training in a way to stimulate new growth will only result in muscle loss. I should alter my lifting to keep intensity high but duratin low. One or two sets I believe but keep reps in the 8 to 10?

How would others train during a cut such as this?

milleniumgirl

milleniumgirl

Sep 12, 2010
When I think cut I think high reps (and 4 to 5 sets) but what works for females doesn't necessarily apply to guys.

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
high rep 10-12 and 4 sets

jdjack

jdjack

MuscleHead
Sep 22, 2010
I've cut with high reps before, but using diet is the MAIN part. I've cut with a rep/set scheme of 5x5 and 3x3 before just as easily. When you tear that muscle fiber lifting heavy, you have to rebuild it so its going to increase your metabolism for 48+ hrs.

Get that DIET in order and you'll see 'results'.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
............As I understand, training in a way to stimulate new growth will only result in muscle loss. I should alter my lifting to keep intensity high but duratin low. One or two sets I believe but keep reps in the 8 to 10?

Why do you say this?

Performing the same sets/rep scheme as what you did to build your muscle will also hold onto it. Higher reps, lighter weight will actually work your type 1 muscle fibers (endurance) which will make you slower and hamper your gains in the future. Did you know 40% of your muscle fibers are capable of being changed from type I to type II, meaning you can make yourself stronger and bigger just from your training methods. So the whole, I have bad genes is nothing more than a cop out for people who either don't want to work or don't know any better.

Last edited:
usa

usa

MuscleHead
Dec 24, 2010
Give us more info earthbuddy. Age/Height/Years training.

V

vtliftvt

Apr 4, 2011
If you're already lifting volume, the only difference you should make when cutting is to shorten your rest between sets. Continue to lift heavy as possible in order to NOT lose muscle.

E

earthbuddy

Nov 8, 2010
Thanks for the info. To answer a few questions:

Im male, 45, 5'2" (cant help that) and have been lifting off and on since high school but I have been real serious with proper nutrition for the last 3 years. The past year and a half has been more bulking to get some mass back. I went from 135lbs (after a sustained cut from 205 with a 45" waist) to 160 at around 20% bf. Now I wish to cut to 10% without losing my muscle mass this time.

I have cleaned the diet over the past month and have been eating between 2000 to 2200 cal per day in 5 to 6 meals. Macros were 40 30 30 CPF but I have made a move three weeks ago to 40 40 20 CPF. I believe I need to nudge the calories down a tad and up the cardio effect ( by doing more cardio or going for 30 second rests between sets).

Im currently doing an antagonist set hitting two muscle groups back to back then getting a 60 second rest and going for another set. I have been changing up the reps some going for 8 one week then 10 another then 15 on another. I hit each muscle group twice weekly. Some muscles like two sets. Others seem to like 4.

Things I notice: when I go 8 reps. Some muscles respond, others do not. When I go 15 reps, all seem to respond and seem to get fuller and stay fuller on the off days.

I have read somewhere from maybe it was LM or TV or perhaps another well known trainer or coach that posts on the internet that during a cut, calories will be less than needed to properly build new growth and strength and that the less than optimal calories, coupled with increasing overload such as when calories are abundant will lead to muscle not getting repaired properly and thus some loss of muscle will happen. Is this not true? It did go on to say that the muscle still needed to be stimulated well and that keeping intensity high but short would provide the stimulation without major overload to help the muscle maintain itself.

Other thoughts?

T

TheIronWarrior

Cutting is a function of diet not sets/reps. Reduce your cals through carbs, keep your protein high and give your muscles a reason to stick around by lifting as heavy as you can.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Agree on all points thus far, except that no one has mentioned that overtraining is more of a possibility while cutting, so listen to your body, and don't increase frequency, if anything, take an extra rest day each week.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
If you go to the Prom than dance with the girl you brought. In other words don't change your training, instead change diet and add cardio.

Best of luck,

Hawk

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic