pbtom
What's New?

Cutting the cable.....

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Trying Hulu for a free week. 1 day in and I like it. Also like the $100 savings!
They make it really easy to cut cable now. I haven’t had cable since 2015 when I had a brief package that got canceled after the year was up. I really don’t even like getting internet from them. Best part is, that will be changing soon too.

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
I wish I had cable still. I watched a whole hell of less TV then. Lol. Cable did it to themselves with greed I lived for the day I could cut the cord. I did several years ago with direct TV now ...but they did the same thing kept raising prices. Ended up getting hulu already had hbo and Disney net flix and prime video. So many other apps out there too. I have Spectrum cable internet and supposed to have 200 mpbs and did a speed test and it was 20! They keep cutting the speed. Ting fiber is in my area which I may end up getting. I miss the old days of posting on message boards in my home office which is now a spare bedroom.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
I've had a lot of Hulu crashing lately and have been looking into fixing that. It does seem to be a common issue from my internet searches. Its definitely a downside if your Smart TV/Firestick app isn't working well.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I wish I had cable still. I watched a whole hell of less TV then. Lol. Cable did it to themselves with greed I lived for the day I could cut the cord. I did several years ago with direct TV now ...but they did the same thing kept raising prices. Ended up getting hulu already had hbo and Disney net flix and prime video. So many other apps out there too. I have Spectrum cable internet and supposed to have 200 mpbs and did a speed test and it was 20! They keep cutting the speed. Ting fiber is in my area which I may end up getting. I miss the old days of posting on message boards in my home office which is now a spare bedroom.
Oh fuuk direct TV, had that too. They checked reception and said its fine, then when the reception was shit, they wanted me to cut down some 20" oaks.

Had direct TV come get their shit and they tried to bill me for breach of contract. I explained they terminated it when they couldn't provide the service.

Another move they make is to tell you you'll get all the local sports, not where I'm at!

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I still use Rabbit Ears.
No offspring in the house right? Lol

I've tried to explain U-13 to my young men and physically turing the knob. The look is like when you whistle at a dog.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I've tried a few streaming services and honestly, they aren't horrible. But you are at the mercy of your internet and it's ability to stream. I first did YouTube TV and was quite happy with it, but the fiancee is a Cubs fan (I am a White Sox fan so we have a house divided). That being said, YouTube TV does not have the Marquee network that carries the Cubs game. The Sox are always on NBC Sports Chicago so I was good. We found FUBO TV and it had both. So far, besides a few glitches with streaming, it hasn't been a bad experience.

The nice thing with either of the two aforementioned streaming platforms is no contract so you can cancel anytime. YouTube TV even has an option to put your services on hold if you travel or are going to be gone for a certain amount of time. Thus not being billed and being bound to any contract. I definitely like that option.

Similar to Dish and Direct TV, you can stream from your smart phone too. I think I pay around $80 for my programming. The only issue I found is just like other cable and streaming services, every once in a while you might lose a channel due to negotiations and etc.

Honestly, FUBO is known for their sports channels. I don't watch a ton of TV, but during baseball season, I do watch it more. I suppose college football too. But otherwise I don't regularly watch much beyond that. It suits me.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
We got rid of cable at the end of last year. At first it sucked, a lot of my shows I watch were the Science channel, History, Discovery, Fox News, Travel channel, and sometimes AMC, etc.

I got Disney, Netflix, and the Discovery+ app and it's been okay. We have ROKU TV's, so we have options on it, and access to Newsmax and OAN. I got rid of Disney after their woke crap. The kids had already stopped watching it anyway. I may get HULU, i'm not sure. We already had Amazon. I may get AMC+ after the Walking Dead is over, then binge it and cancel. lol.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic