Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Cryptocurrencies

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
@ItalianMuscle I never said gold was 'bad'. I said it is part of a balanced portfolio. It is NOT however a very good growth asset(if you look at it's actual performance over the years)

It has had almost zero growth over past 10 years. Whereas that same money invested in s&p is 2.5x over same time period. So if you bought 10 k in gold, you still have 10k in gold (but the dollar is weaker so there is less buying power with it. But if you took same 10k and put it in sp, you have 25k now

Also sorry to sound foolish. This 'I dont have to pay taxes on my gold' stuff. Well sure, that is great if you want to move 5,10 maybe 100k. But what if you want to make larger moves than that? What do you do when your net worth is in the millions rather than a few 100k? That model does not really translate to any real world success unless you want to live like a drug smuggler.

Say you want to convert some holdings into real-estate or something. That 'off the grid' model starts to fall apart when you have assets of significance. By all means, I think having assets on hand at the house at any given time. For me it has always been cash, but gold will have more 'value' in an end of world event. I like being able to make cash deals on things that pop up that I want to buy. But any more than that is a waste. My real assets are invested. Thankfully for me, I choose to put almost all my resources into real estate over the past 10 years. Sold my 'play money' stocks about a year ago and bought another car. (60k up on that car in the time). I did not buy the last one as an investment. Just bought it for fun, but it is great that is has appreciated.

No crystal balls. But any approach to investment should be a balanced one. Just like we all buy and pay for insurance. To me gold in a portfolio is very similar. Not something you are really making money on, but a useful holding if things go south.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
This is pretty incredible since JP Morgan was very anti BTC for a long time.

This is mind blowing. Follow the money!

"In a note to clients issued Wednesday, the bank has also stated that it is replacing real estate with digital, or crypto, assets as its preferred alternative asset class along with hedge funds, citing “potential lagged repricing” in private equity, private debt and real estate. Alternative assets typically refer to investments that aren't stocks, bonds or cash."

Stickler

Stickler

VIP Member
Oct 28, 2010
This is pretty incredible since JP Morgan was very anti BTC for a long time.

This is mind blowing. Follow the money!

"In a note to clients issued Wednesday, the bank has also stated that it is replacing real estate with digital, or crypto, assets as its preferred alternative asset class along with hedge funds, citing “potential lagged repricing” in private equity, private debt and real estate. Alternative assets typically refer to investments that aren't stocks, bonds or cash."

Yup. The housing bubble pop is coming!

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
All I know I was on another thread here about investing and was saying at the beginning of Covid to buy Nasdaq, not gold.
Gold did nothing but go down while Nasqaq continued to rise with the exception of runup double top beginning of '22 and has since sold off like Nasdaq. I'm not an investor though. I'm a trader that goes long and short but I was doing nothing but
buying /NQ futures contracts the entire lockdown. At the end of the day trading and investing are individual endeavors.
Would I throw some money into bitcoin for buy and hold? Absolutely. When? I have no idea. Maybe at 10-15k? I don't know I'm not in any rush but right now just sticking to what I know best and that's trading NQ.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
All I know I was on another thread here about investing and was saying at the beginning of Covid to buy Nasdaq, not gold.
Gold did nothing but go down while Nasqaq continued to rise with the exception of runup double top beginning of '22 and has since sold off like Nasdaq. I'm not an investor though. I'm a trader that goes long and short but I was doing nothing but
buying /NQ futures contracts the entire lockdown. At the end of the day trading and investing are individual endeavors.
Would I throw some money into bitcoin for buy and hold? Absolutely. When? I have no idea. Maybe at 10-15k? I don't know I'm not in any rush but right now just sticking to what I know best and that's trading NQ.

I dont think you will ever again see 10-15k. I think it is possible we could see low 20's and maybe 25 again, but as soon as the resistance breaks we will look back at the time you could have bought BTC in the 30's. We just broke 9weeks with the first green candle. Some say if this holds, we have seen the bottom. I dont know. But I think any buy, even at current levels is good.

Saying you might buy at 10-15 is like saying you might buy amazon if it hits $60. Not really worth saying unless you just like talking about almost non-sensical terms. But hey if it dips to 10-15, I would just wait till it hits 3500 to buy as that would be a lot cheaper ;)

Good luck. Will be interesting to look back at this in a year or two and you can all either bust my balls or...... Who knows?! I am still feeling good.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
I dont think you will ever again see 10-15k. I think it is possible we could see low 20's and maybe 25 again, but as soon as the resistance breaks we will look back at the time you could have bought BTC in the 30's. We just broke 9weeks with the first green candle. Some say if this holds, we have seen the bottom. I dont know. But I think any buy, even at current levels is good.

Saying you might buy at 10-15 is like saying you might buy amazon if it hits $60. Not really worth saying unless you just like talking about almost non-sensical terms. But hey if it dips to 10-15, I would just wait till it hits 3500 to buy as that would be a lot cheaper ;)

Good luck. Will be interesting to look back at this in a year or two and you can all either bust my balls or...... Who knows?! I am still feeling good.

I'm not saying it will go to 10-15k. I'm saying I specialize in Nasdaq futures so there's no need for me to put money into bitcoin hoping it will go to 100k. I already trade the king of all leveraged instruments. At that % buy and hold it'd be a 67% ROI however I make more than that day trading /NQ in a year. Will bitcoin go to 100k in a year? Probably not. Someday. Sure! So I really don't have an interest but I might have interest if it were discounted heavily otherwise no need for me personally. I hope it skyrockets. I do believe it is here to stay. The true value of bitcoin is something I have absolutely no clue about.

I

Iron1

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2021
Hardly an investment, but they're nice to look at.
I consider investing in physical metals to be a hedge against me spending that money on stupid shit that won't be worth anything in 6 months. I am my own worst enemy.
Gm1OHLU.jpg

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I'm not saying it will go to 10-15k. I'm saying I specialize in Nasdaq futures so there's no need for me to put money into bitcoin hoping it will go to 100k. I already trade the king of all leveraged instruments. At that % buy and hold it'd be a 67% ROI however I make more than that day trading /NQ in a year. Will bitcoin go to 100k in a year? Probably not. Someday. Sure! So I really don't have an interest but I might have interest if it were discounted heavily otherwise no need for me personally. I hope it skyrockets. I do believe it is here to stay. The true value of bitcoin is something I have absolutely no clue about.
Interesting. I dont do any trading, but it is the leverage trading that brings the validity to BTC. They have leverage exceeding 100:1. Some are 1000x. CRAZY. Me, I am too boring to try my hand at that.

Very cool you can make a living day trading. I have at times considered it. I dont think I could take the stress!

klbsa

klbsa

Jan 5, 2011
I have a Trezor Hardware wallet..... A hardware wallet is the only way to hide your Crypto from Uncle Jewey...... Now that the online exchanges are all reporting transactions.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Interesting. I dont do any trading, but it is the leverage trading that brings the validity to BTC. They have leverage exceeding 100:1. Some are 1000x. CRAZY. Me, I am too boring to try my hand at that.

Very cool you can make a living day trading. I have at times considered it. I dont think I could take the stress!
I haven't delved much past btc futures which is around 20:1. I do have a Coinbase account but haven't done anything with. I need to research more but if you have any links or ideas on where to look please let me know. I've traded futures for 13 years, 7 professionally.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic