Members
Latest Member
lk has no balls
What's New?

Crossfit Trainer Making a Switch

IronMates

IronMates

Jun 15, 2014
I'm 21 years old and have been involved with weight and strength training as well as many sports for roughly 18 of those years. I am currently making the switch to a body building 5x5 workout plan for the next 3 months to bulk up. I'm currently 6'2 180 lbs looking to gain up to 200 in the next 3 months. Good bulking meal advice and general lifts are appreciated. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402859403.422467.jpg

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
........Good bulking meal advice and general lifts are appreciated.

Simple.... eat A LOT and most of it should be solids. Don't rely on shakes and MRP's. As for lifting, if you want to train size than make sure you're pulling, squatting, benching, and OHP'ing. 5x5 is a good starter program to gain both size and strength.

When you speak of lifting, want to include just the time you spent actually training. I seriously doubt you were lifting at 3yo. Not even the Russians start that young.

IronMates

IronMates

Jun 15, 2014
The part about sports was for 3 years old. As far as weight training I started at 11 but for the first year my father only let me use the bar on all the lifts to perfect my form. I'm on a 6 meal a day diet right now with 2 protein shakes (one in the morning, I'm not a good eater until I get started and one right after my workout). I've worked off a percentage chart similar to what I'm doing with the 5x5 before when I was playing football in high school so I'm not totally unfamiliar with a low rep high weight system. I'm actually not overly worried about gaining strength, I'm genetically blessed there. I just have a metabolism that many would kill for, except those trying to gain weight.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Make sure you're taking in Kcal dense foods like steak, potatoes, oatmeal, etc. Also don't neglect your green veggies like green beans, kale, spinach, etc. If you're metabolism is very high you'll probably also want to throw in cheat meals periodically. They'll help you recover and grow.

IronMates

IronMates

Jun 15, 2014
You just named most of my foods right there haha. Yeah, I throw cheat meals in on lift days to cancel out the extra calories I burn. (Like a hot and ready $5 little Caesars pizza).

IronMates

IronMates

Jun 15, 2014
My big issue with the eating is that I feel like a slug because I'm so full while I'm lifting. I'm assuming I'll get used to it though.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
I applaud and echo BrotherIrons sentiment - every word - even more be patient depending on how devoted and driven you are - even then it may take years to reach your goal . Discipline and patience are one edge of sword - enthusiasm and intelligence hone the other side . Most think too much and not do! Do - then look for your body to show you signs - listen and know your self. Train hard carry on ! Don't let anyone turn you! Strong mind builds strong body

5x5 good beginner place - training goes far deeper - even how you perform a single rep need consideration - people think about this whole " rep thing" when it's actually about time under tension . Slow up slower down really feel the muscle you work force the contraction don't just lift . It's this that actually separates those who make changes and those who become just bigger version of what they were . Food for thought...

Last edited:
IronMates

IronMates

Jun 15, 2014
No worries on dedication, I actually own and operate a fitness center so I'm there every day, even my off days! haha. Thanks for the encouragement. I may need it more once I'm at the dinner table tonight.

IronMates

IronMates

Jun 15, 2014
I guess I could say the eating part is much harder for me than the actual training.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
No worries on dedication, I actually own and operate a fitness center so I'm there every day, even my off days! haha. Thanks for the encouragement. I may need it more once I'm at the dinner table tonight.

Like I said even the best of us can," dedicate to the detriment of ourselves ". Fitness and bodybuilding are worlds apart. If you are wanting to build asthetic proportions meaning size in one area, shape or toning another , correcting imbalances then at least for period bodybuilding will bring you closer to your goals . Carry on !

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Welcome to the board. I realize that since you are 21 and a gym owner with18 years of experience. There is nothing I can offer you in terms of training or diet advice. Good luck and congratulations on your accomplishments.

IronMates

IronMates

Jun 15, 2014
Overtraining could also be an issue. I did well this week but it is just week one lol.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic