Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

cross fit athlete left paralyzed

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
It's amazing that this doesn't happen more often. I don't have a problem with 3rm for snatches, which is the event this guy was doing when he broke his neck. I have a problem with 3rm snatches after a bunch of other events that already completed wasted this guy's CNS and muscular coordination/endurance. This is why my wife, who enjoys Crossfit, will walk in sometimes, see the WOD, and then walk out and drive home. If she's unsure if it's retarded, she'll call me and I'll generally tell her it's retarded.

Crossfit has thousands of ridiculous WODs that millions of kool-aid drinkers do all the time, so it really does amaze me that more people aren't getting SERIOUSLY injured. Yes, injuries happen way too often because of stupid programming, bad form, and horrible coaching/supervision, but I'm really surprised that this isn't a monthly occurrence.

FLBB89

FLBB89

MuscleHead
May 27, 2013
Branch Warren could learn a thing or two about being hardcore from this guy

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
It's amazing that this doesn't happen more often. I don't have a problem with 3rm for snatches, which is the event this guy was doing when he broke his neck. I have a problem with 3rm snatches after a bunch of other events that already completed wasted this guy's CNS and muscular coordination/endurance. This is why my wife, who enjoys Crossfit, will walk in sometimes, see the WOD, and then walk out and drive home. If she's unsure if it's retarded, she'll call me and I'll generally tell her it's retarded.

Crossfit has thousands of ridiculous WODs that millions of kool-aid drinkers do all the time, so it really does amaze me that more people aren't getting SERIOUSLY injured. Yes, injuries happen way too often because of stupid programming, bad form, and horrible coaching/supervision, but I'm really surprised that this isn't a monthly occurrence.

Bingo! On top of that, I fear that most places don't have coaches that have the experience and/or training to instruct Oly lifting as well. I can honestly say, Oly lifting is one of those areas I don't feel I have the experience to instruct anyone on either. The research I have done tells me there is so much to learn in this area, and coaching form etc, is a multi-stage process and takes serious knowledge. Most of these folks are self made gurus, and you can get away with that with most other lifting, but certainly not Oly lifting.

biguglynewf

biguglynewf

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2010
Sad this happened.

And shorts....I think you make a good point.

This happens all over though. Not just with cross fit.....everywhere. How many retarded personal trainers do you have at your gym? I know I have more than a fair share at mine.

I don't know if that, in fact was the cause of this accident...but based on some things I've seen I can honestly say it wouldn't surprise me.

nychris

nychris

MuscleHead
Oct 12, 2012
I agree that most CF movements are ridiculous but with this particular accident he was just doing a Snatch, which is an Olympic lift. It really has nothing to do with CF. Here's the actual video of this horrible, freak accident.

http://youtu.be/JSl1r9DihSc

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
I agree that most CF movements are ridiculous but with this particular accident he was just doing a Snatch, which is an Olympic lift. It really has nothing to do with CF. Here's the actual video of this horrible, freak accident.

http://youtu.be/JSl1r9DihSc

Has nothing to do with crossfit? The guy doesn't have terrible form by any means, and the weight was not terribly heavy for him either. His inability to overhead-squat the weight without losing balance and dumping it on his neck was DIRECTLY related to crossfit, because the previous events that day were brutal and taxed his body to the point that performing a snatch with easy weight led to his permanent paralysis from the waist down. Almost all movements in crossfit are borrowed or bastardized from other lifting disciplines, so just because this was an Olympic lift doesn't mean that it has nothing to do with crossfit. The reason many of us can't stand crossfit is not because of the lifts performed, but because of ignorant coaching, horrible programming, and elitist attitudes.

Not trying to nitpick or play semantics either, but it's not a freak accident. The injury incurred is freak, but walk into a crossfit gym on a day that incorporates snatches into the WOD and you'll see untold amounts of idiots dumping weight improperly and hurting themselves. The accident itself happens daily, but normally people don't dump it in the exact wrong spot to break their neck.

Reactions: SJA
IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Holy shit! That's horrible. And To SAD and Shortz, I completely agree 100% with you guys. Big ugly you're right too. I'm a trainer, and the amount of garbage people come to me with from their trainer, or the one at their gym blows ky mind. It's like they are reading bro science magazine and preaching directly out of it. I might not even give them that much credit. What's even worse, is when these fools are head director of trainers, when trainers below them are making significantly less. (In most cases) I try to keep people away from crossfit, especially beginners and just get them on a good circuit routine and some training the movements on the major compounds. It's unfortunate to see how many robots just follow and hop on the crossfit bandwagom

hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
Sad and shortz said it perfectly. Left me with nothing to add. I've been saying the same stuff for months and it's impossible when your talking to an elitist

nychris

nychris

MuscleHead
Oct 12, 2012
Has nothing to do with crossfit? The guy doesn't have terrible form by any means, and the weight was not terribly heavy for him either. His inability to overhead-squat the weight without losing balance and dumping it on his neck was DIRECTLY related to crossfit, because the previous events that day were brutal and taxed his body to the point that performing a snatch with easy weight led to his permanent paralysis from the waist down. Almost all movements in crossfit are borrowed or bastardized from other lifting disciplines, so just because this was an Olympic lift doesn't mean that it has nothing to do with crossfit. The reason many of us can't stand crossfit is not because of the lifts performed, but because of ignorant coaching, horrible programming, and elitist attitudes.

What if the snatch was performed at the start of the competition instead of the end? Would you feel the same way then? You can walk into a gym fully rested and accidentally drop the bar the way he did on the very first set. Search on YouTube for Olympic snatch accidents, there are plenty of them. It's a dangerous movement regardless of what type of routine it's done within. If you are blaming this directly on the CF competition because they tired them out too much beforehand, then you must feel the same way about strongman comps to a degree. What if someone broke their back deadlifting in a strongman comp after competing in 5 events prior? This type of accident can happen during any workout, whether PL, strongman, CF, or just lifting at the gym.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic