Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

Crawford benches 825 @ 298

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Great lifting..... I agree that the press call was quick, but the bar was motionless and that's all it needed to be. The rules never say how long.

It took me three or four views to get an idea of the lockout.
At first it looked soft, but if you watch his elbows they are locked at the top and he is clearly in control of the weight before the rack command. It just looks strange because he finishes the lift over his face but takes his liftoff out over his belly so he can drop right in to the groove..... it looked locked to me.

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
I think the pause was fine the judge clearly tells him to press (albeit a bit quick), the lockout is hard tell from this angle it looked better when I watched it a second time. Still strong as shit

what I was thinking , hard to tell with crapy camera angle.

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
Great lifting..... I agree that the press call was quick, but the bar was motionless and that's all it needed to be. The rules never say how long.

It took me three or four views to get an idea of the lockout.
At first it looked soft, but if you watch his elbows they are locked at the top and he is clearly in control of the weight before the rack command. It just looks strange because he finishes the lift over his face but takes his liftoff out over his belly so he can drop right in to the groove..... it looked locked to me.

^^^

E

eknight

Mar 28, 2013
Awesome display of strength. Having said that, I've been redlighted for soft lockouts like that- or I've been hung out to dry with no "rack" command while head judge waited for me to finish the lockout. When you're a legend like Crawford, though, you've probably earned the benefit of the doubt on lifts like these. Nice work. -EK

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Awesome display of strength. Having said that, I've been redlighted for soft lockouts like that- or I've been hung out to dry with no "rack" command while head judge waited for me to finish the lockout. When you're a legend like Crawford, though, you've probably earned the benefit of the doubt on lifts like these. Nice work. -EK

The Feds are all a bit different. Watch a squat in SPF. Their policy is "meh, good enough."

E

eknight

Mar 28, 2013
Ah- all of my meets were USAPL, APA, or AAPF/APF. -EK

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Ah- all of my meets were USAPL, APA, or AAPF/APF. -EK

I'm not yet familiar with every Fed, there are certainly a lot. But I do of course know USAPL and if you get three whites there, you can get them anywhere.

I compete in a newer federation started by Gene Rychlak Jr. RPS.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Wow, I can't imagine 800 pounds in my hands. I've had 495 before with my shirt on. And it felt like the bench was gonna collapse.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Wow, I can't imagine 800 pounds in my hands. I've had 495 before with my shirt on. And it felt like the bench was gonna collapse.

It's all relative... when I was first handling 400 pound benches they felt really heavy.... when I was first handling 500 pound benches they feel really heavy..... now when I'm handling mid 800 pound benches they still feel heavy.

I handle mid 8s in the gym and when I compete the mid 700s feel light.

Crawford handles 900+ so I'm sure that his 800+ comp benches feel light. What feels heavy changes as you get stronger.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
It's all relative... when I was first handling 400 pound benches they felt really heavy.... when I was first handling 500 pound benches they feel really heavy..... now when I'm handling mid 800 pound benches they still feel heavy.

I handle mid 8s in the gym and when I compete the mid 700s feel light.

Crawford handles 900+ so I'm sure that his 800+ comp benches feel light. What feels heavy changes as you get stronger.

Can you help me figure something out... Why is it guys can go heavier in the gym than on the platform like that?

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
There are a lot more variables in equipped lifting.

1. How well the lift off is

2. How good of condition your gear is on meet day

3. Anticipation

4. If you gain or loose a couple ponds your gear works differently.

5. How well rested you are for the meet. Equipped lifting is hard on the CNS. Also, the stronger you get, the longer it takes you to recover in between sessions. If your not recovered enough for meet day, your numbers won't be where they are in training.

If everything doesn't go smooth, it's really hard to hit your potential on meet day.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Can you help me figure something out... Why is it guys can go heavier in the gym than on the platform like that?

There are lots of different reasons.... and it's different for everyone. Some guys can go to meets and PR over their gym PR - I do that on deadlifts but not squat or bench.

Part of it is being on a bench and having a liftoff that you are used to in your own gym. Benches this big use a 3-man liftoff and they can easily get goofy if your regular guys aren't at the meet with you.

Part of it is just rolling the dice on meet day. Some days you show up to the gym at 100%, some days 50% - on meet day you just roll the dice and see where you'll be at. You only have 3 attempts to hit your numbers not months of training to ht your numbers somewhere in there.

Turbolag has it right about the mental stress of a meet plus your bodyweight fluctuation - especially if you have to travel for a meet and have to eat out, sleep on a hotel bed, compete at a different time of day than you are used to lifting.
Not sure why but I always seem to get diarrhea on meet day... some guys throw up from the stress or can't eat.

Part of it is also the quality of the lifts. In the gym I pressed a mid-800s bench but my teammates gave me the quickest press call of any bench ever. In my last meet we lowered my opener below 700 because we noticed the head judge making the earlier flights pause for 4 or 5 seconds before the press call - that makes a difference too.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic