Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Costochondritis recovery

C

Clevor

Sep 20, 2017
I am 64 and am trying to get back into shape. Haven't exercised in the last 4 years and I am 30 lbs overweight. Tried to do dips right off and it was inevitable: felt a pop in middle of my chest. I've had bruised ribs before after a bike accident and I know how long it takes to recover from chest-rib injury. It took 6 months before I could cough and not feel any remnants of pain. I took ibuprofen for two months to take the edge off the stabbing nature of the pain when you try to get in or out of bed.

How long will it take to recover from costochondritis? Do I take ibuprofen to alleviate the pain and exercise through it? I get the impression the ibuprofen is masking the pain and the injury is still there. But if the ibuprofen reduces the inflammation so I feel no pain, it's OK to exercise through it? Or do I take ibuprofen for a couple of weeks and rest completely? I really want to start working out immediately. So far the pain has been lingering on for a week. Doesn't seem to get better each day.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
It sounds like you know the answer already...

I read up on the condition (had no clue what you were talking about) and from what I gathered, time is the ticket...

There were 4 different causes of this condition, if indeed this is what you have...One of those causes mentioned was lifting...So, you could be right on what you have...If medication is relieving the pain, then according to my research, you have a mild case which is a good thing, I guess...

I can't see where continuing to lift will help, however, im not even close to being qualified to give medical advice...Hang in there and I'm sure someone with qualifications will chime in....

Don't give up whatever you do, I am qualified to say that, LOLL!!!...Peace!

C

Clevor

Sep 20, 2017
Thanks for the reply BackAtlt. Costochondritis is an injury where you pull the chest muscles which attach to the sternum or breastbone area, so for me, the pain is directly in the middle of my breastbone. I also pulled a calf muscle skipping rope. The pain started to subside by taking 200 mg Ibuprofen 4X a day, so I started skipping again and I strained a muscle to the right side of my calf. I often say I rarely pull muscles because I am not muscular and don't have muscles to pull, but having not exercised in 4 years and being 30 lbs overweight will do this.

I saw a Sports Medicine doc yesterday, who actually is one of the top hip and knee surgeons in my area. He checked me out thoroughly to be sure the attachment points of the muscles and ligaments to the bone were not torn, and told me I suffered only muscle strains. He said Ibuprofen can be taken for prolonged periods (several months) with no problems. He also said it is OK to exercise while taking it if I don't feel any pain.

It turns out I am recovering quite quickly (I was afraid my age would be an issue). The pain (for both injuries) lingers around for about a week, and subside each day the following week (on Ibuprofen). I can now do spread arm pushups now with no pain. Dips, I wasn't even able to do one (but the doc said they ARE hard to do), and now I just have a light twinge of pain if I hold myself aloft with stiff arms, but I'm sure it will heal so I can attempt them in the future. I'm laying off the skipping rope for two weeks.

My doc really emphasized stretching properly both before and after exercise. He probably noticed my lack of flexibility while examining me and highly recommended taking yoga or Pilates classes.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic