RalfKelleh
What's New?

Core Problems

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
Not sure if this is the right spot, and I did a search already,

I am 15 years post-op abdominal surgery patient gastric bypass, I was 13.

Back then they didn't have the advances in laparoscopic techniques that came to be a few years later, my stomach was cut from the bottom of my bra to my belly button and my lower abdominals torn rather than cutting to get around per the charts, I had major difficulties, am lucky to enjoy the health I do now, and was rushed into emergency surgery, where they re-cut through the same healing cut a bit over 48hours later.

Now I think there was definite negligence in that there was never thought to be any kind of therapy to redevelop and establish the abdominal wall, in fact it was discouraged. I do have irritating excess skin (that is a frequent question), but it is not the cause for my concern.

Now 5 years back into the gym regularly, and I lived an athletic youth, there is nothing that I can do to seem to re-develop/strengthen my abdominals outside of my obliques.

15 years post-op and the problems continue to worsen, my hips frequently are out of place causing severe sciatic style pain, my posture is difficult to maintain no matter the focus i give it, and despite having a strong lower body I am stalled in all lifts that uses abs to support it.

i have had doctors look at it and agree that i "need" surgery to fix the separation, and remove scar tissue that is inhibiting it, but this is considered cosmetic. I can come up with the money but I can't help but feel it selfish, and that maybe I'm not doing all I can do.

I have honestly given up in the recent past, and decided I should ask for help.

I have tried to incorporate physical therapy exercises but I'm not really sure how to attack the problem.

Thanks in in advance if anyone has some help for me!

Last edited:
monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I had abdominal surgery when I was 15, they made about a 5 in incision on my lower right abdomen. The wound got infected and the stitches were yanked out in the ER. 25 years later I still have a huge ugly scar. Even when I was in condition at 4.5% bf, I had a weird little gut on the right. I had a 5 pack. I don't think it could be fixed, but I wouldn't bother if it could. Of course it's much smaller than yours and less of a problem.

sorry, this was useless to your post. I have no help.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Cosmetic? If I could do something (besides major back surgery) to help my sciatica, I would do it, hands down. That alone would be worth it.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Pics please?
In all seriousness DC can you post:

1 pic directly from the side at hip height

2 pic from front showing feet to mid abdominal

3 pic from behind showing feet to mid abdominal

4 pic from side showing mid abdominal to head

Don't wear baggy clothing or shoes and socks. I want to try and see if the sciatic is actually related to the abdominal weakness and how you are compensating for this weakness.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
In all seriousness DC can you post:1 pic directly from the side at hip height2 pic from front showing feet to mid abdominal 3 pic from behind showing feet to mid abdominal 4 pic from side showing mid abdominal to headDon't wear baggy clothing or shoes and socks. I want to try and see if the sciatic is actually related to the abdominal weakness and how you are compensating for this weakness.
also... post one in a mini skirt and thigh highs (panties optional) from behind while bending over and touching your toes... we need to make sure you don't have scoliosis ;)

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
also... post one in a mini skirt and thigh highs (panties optional) from behind while bending over and touching your toes... we need to make sure you don't have scoliosis ;)
Is that how your school nurse did your screening?

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
Is that how your school nurse did your screening?
kinda... but it was more involved... it was odd though... he put on rubber gloves to check from the inside... but I felt Both hands on my hips when he was checking... I think he was a magician or something...

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
In all seriousness DC can you post:

1 pic directly from the side at hip height

2 pic from front showing feet to mid abdominal

3 pic from behind showing feet to mid abdominal

4 pic from side showing mid abdominal to head

Don't wear baggy clothing or shoes and socks. I want to try and see if the sciatic is actually related to the abdominal weakness and how you are compensating for this weakness.

thanks POB, I'll send you the above tomorrow.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic