Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Conventional to sumo

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Has anyone made the switch from conventional to sumo DL after years of training one way? I have no problem pulling sumo providing you take 200 lbs off the bar. I'm sure in time I would get use to the motion but will not be happy if I'm pulling less.

For the record, I'm considering the switch after a hamstring injury.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Has anyone made the switch from conventional to sumo DL after years of training one way? I have no problem pulling sumo providing you take 200 lbs off the bar. I'm sure in time I would get use to the motion but will not be happy if I'm pulling less.

For the record, I'm considering the switch after a hamstring injury.

I did... What I did was during warm ups I would do every other Sumo. Switching back and forth between Sumo and Conv. On my top sets which ever one felt better that day. I would use that stance for my heaviest sets. For me Sumo took over. Once I figured the little things with Sumo that make that pull work. Sumo just took off and is still climbing.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I did... What I did was during warm ups I would do every other Sumo. Switching back and forth between Sumo and Conv. On my top sets which ever one felt better that day. I would use that stance for my heaviest sets. For me Sumo took over. Once I figured the little things with Sumo that make that pull work. Sumo just took off and is still climbing.

That gives me hope Ramrod, thank you. Took off huh? I would be ok with my current conventional PR's in the sumo if I was able to avoid injury, but you got even more out of it; INSPIRING!

Look, I know when you push your limits, you're taking the chance of something really bad happening. I get that but I have found that my limiting factor is injury. Not that I have a multitude of injuries; it's just where I'm at, a level 2 strain will set me back 1/2 a year.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Wouldn't you have more issues with a hammy injury pulling sumo?

My hams are tight and I pull easier with Conv. With sumo, the first thing that I feel tightness is in my hamstrings and glutes.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
You need to learn how to pull sumo. It's a bit more complicated than conventional.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Wouldn't you have more issues with a hammy injury pulling sumo?

My hams are tight and I pull easier with Conv. With sumo, the first thing that I feel tightness is in my hamstrings and glutes.

Yes and No, If you Do Sumo right yes more stress. If you pull Sumo in a Conv. manner and don't spread the floor. It seems to take some of that tension off the hammies. I pulled my Hamstring a while back and I found that. Sumo was less pain then Conv.

You need to learn how to pull sumo. It's a bit more complicated than conventional.

YES it is.. I pulled sumo for a long time thinking I was doing it right... NOPE.. When it took off is when I figured out how to do it right.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Yes and No, If you Do Sumo right yes more stress. If you pull Sumo in a Conv. manner and don't spread the floor. It seems to take some of that tension off the hammies. I pulled my Hamstring a while back and I found that. Sumo was less pain then Conv.

YES it is.. I pulled sumo for a long time thinking I was doing it right... NOPE.. When it took off is when I figured out how to do it right.

I'm planning on starting out light. One thing I have learned over the years is to not fight my body. It seems like guys get this idea that there is only one way to lift heavy things and adopt some other person's technique just because they can pull a lot. You can't learn what is proper technique for you until you know your body.

Spreading the floor as you mentioned would not be my first approach. A large part of my strength is in my quads; being a quad dominate squatter all my life. I'm hoping a slightly more upright position will take some stress off my hams and utilize my quad strength.

H

hulk.athletics

Aug 13, 2016
If you have access to on track bar takes allot of stress of the hamstrings depending on how you pull.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Train both, switching every other week. I lift about the same with both but still prefer conventional. When I first started conventional was over 100lbs more. Getting there...

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
If you have access to on track bar takes allot of stress of the hamstrings depending on how you pull.

The trap bar mimicks a squat not a deadlift. Not at all the same lift. The COG is mid foot rather than out in front.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I'm planning on starting out light. One thing I have learned over the years is to not fight my body. It seems like guys get this idea that there is only one way to lift heavy things and adopt some other person's technique just because they can pull a lot. You can't learn what is proper technique for you until you know your body.

Spreading the floor as you mentioned would not be my first approach. A large part of my strength is in my quads; being a quad dominate squatter all my life. I'm hoping a slightly more upright position will take some stress off my hams and utilize my quad strength.

I don't care about your quads. Grow your hams. Make them a strength. Maybe it will prevent further injuries in doing so.

Also pushing out is to involve the hip. The hips are more important in a DL than the quads even conventionally as a deadlift is really just a hip hinge.

H

hulk.athletics

Aug 13, 2016
This is true. Giving the hamstring injury if he still feels the need to pull some way I'd suggest trap bar over sumo.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic