Threads
Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
From time to time, I am either approached or meet someone who is training hard in the gym and they have that voice in the back of their head to compete. Nobody really knows where it comes from, but one day it sneaks up on you and there are they whispers in your sub-conscious – “Hey… Do it. Do a meet!”

However, when that thought becomes part of a conscious conversation it transforms into a phrase I hear over and over again.

“I’m not strong enough yet”

Let’s talk about this…

If you were to ask Dan Green – multiple world record holder – if he thinks he is strong enough what do you think he would say? How about Benedikt Magnusson? He deadlifted 1016lbs. Which was actually just beaten by 2lbs in fact. Nobody is ever “strong enough” no matter what level they play on.

If you are considering doing your first meet, don’t give yourself delusions. Unless you are some genetic outlier; a complete freak of nature, chances are you won’t be breaking records.

But! You will walk away from your first meet with the most incredible feeling of accomplishment. Your friends and family who come to support will be jumping around and screaming. They will talk about your feats for months on end. Even for myself, my own accomplishments pale in comparison to the excitement I feel when a client or training partner gets on that platform and just crushes weights they didn’t think were possible for them.

Some other benefits to just committing to getting on the platform:
- It’s a brotherhood. While we are technically competing against each other, the reality is you are there to show self-improvement. Chase your own PR’s down and tackle them. Because of this, the warm up areas and times between flights are often spend clowning around with some of the other guys there. You’ll build a strong network with other lifts and when you need advice you’ll find someone to turn to.
- It directs your training. My training takes on a whole new level of intensity when I am training FOR something as opposed to just training. Also, after your first meet you will find that you have made mistakes in training. The lesson I learned during my first meet was that I needed to stop training with headphones in. It became this neurotic thing. If I forgot my headphones for training I would panic. I had to have them. But you can’t wear them at the meet. I suppose you could try but you’ll miss the judges commands, cues from supporters and I have no idea where you are going to tuck that iPod into your singlet.
- You earn a title. You are not a powerlifter because you eat burritos and lift for heavy singles and doubles in the gym. You are not a powerlifter because you “train Westside” whatever that means. You are a powerlifter when you fill out the form, train, show up at the meet and get your total.
- The Iron Bug will bite you. After the meet you will immediately be thinking about when you can do this again. That’s an automatic.
- Facebook likes. You will get tons of likes on your pics on the facebooks when you post things such as your distorted squat face or giving a thumbs up with your buds while wearing a singlet.

I will say that the process of preparing for the first meet can be intimidating. How do you fill out the form? Am I amateur or pro? Raw classic or modern? I weigh 250lbs should I be 242 or 275 class? Should I cut to 198 so my lifts are more competitive? And what on earth is a peaking cycle?

Well, I’m here to help you with those things. I have coached quite a few through their first meet. I’m a patient person and will guide you through the process every step of the way. There are no stupid questions. I can help with everything from filling out the form, writing and adjusting your meet prep cycle to mobility and pain management.

No excuses… Let’s do this together!

Joliver

Joliver

MuscleHead
Jan 19, 2014
For anyone considering a meet, it DOES help to have someone to know what it takes to get there. I always laugh at what I didn't know when I first got up there. The guys who've been there help. You always know who has a solid corner. One guy is using chalk on his legs before a dead, the other guy is using talcum powder. Seems inconsequential....almost.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
For anyone considering a meet, it DOES help to have someone to know what it takes to get there. I always laugh at what I didn't know when I first got up there. The guys who've been there help. You always know who has a solid corner. One guy is using chalk on his legs before a dead, the other guy is using talcum powder. Seems inconsequential....almost.

Hahaha that's a great example. Probably the more obvious though is the guy who has his knees wrapped when he is 4th out. Can't feel his feet by the time it's his lift.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Hey, the chalk helps my hitch!

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Thanks POB! I'm training now for my first meet in Aug and have ton of questions. First would be weight class, that have 181 or 198. I'm rite at 190 now. What to do? I have no clue. I'll pm if you prefer

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
“I’m not strong enough yet”

This was the main reason it took me so long to get on the platform. And I ended up setting 2 records in my federation and making the rankings on PLW.com at my first meet.

I wished I had stepped up sooner.

I was lucky enough to have an e-friend from another board drive from Boston to Rochester to help guide me through my first meet.

Excellent post, PoB! Bang on.

cmeliftheavy

cmeliftheavy

Jan 29, 2011
Did my first meet this years, knowing the time from when they call your name to addressing the platform was helpful. Big thing is to listen for commands, my last attempted squatting red lighted due to not listening to commands the squat was clean too! Big things is to listen...

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Thanks POB! I'm training now for my first meet in Aug and have ton of questions. First would be weight class, that have 181 or 198. I'm rite at 190 now. What to do? I have no clue. I'll pm if you prefer
I try to keep anyone I am working with within 8 pounds of their class. That's 1 gallon of water. This can be expelled naturally. I never recommend drugs for dropping water. I myself use black tea. I have another article I am writing up on dropping water weight but I have a couple questions for Joliver and SAD before polishing it.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Did my first meet this years, knowing the time from when they call your name to addressing the platform was helpful. Big thing is to listen for commands, my last attempted squatting red lighted due to not listening to commands the squat was clean too! Big things is to listen...

You want to research what the commands are for each lift you will perform in the fed you're competing in. Then you train that way so it becomes second hand. When it's time to perform the lift on meet day listen for the command and you'll be g2g.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
You want to research what the commands are for each lift you will perform in the fed you're competing in. Then you train that way so it becomes second hand. When it's time to perform the lift on meet day listen for the command and you'll be g2g.

And practice makes perfect. If I'm coaching someone long distance I have them do the metal militia way. Hold your lockout for a 3 or 5 count. Just get in that habit. My first meet I got red lighted on what was a great PR for me. I was so damn excited to smash the weight that I racked it right away and jumped up lol

So many noob mistakes!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
And practice makes perfect. If I'm coaching someone long distance I have them do the metal militia way. Hold your lockout for a 3 or 5 count. Just get in that habit. My first meet I got red lighted on what was a great PR for me. I was so damn excited to smash the weight that I racked it right away and jumped up lol

So many noob mistakes!

That's a good idea... holding the squat after completing for 3-5 sec. I don't do that for squats but I do that for deadlift and bench.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic