Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Considering trying AAS

P

Phaeer

Feb 11, 2019
I worked out for 5 years and felt like I reached my natural potential in that time.
I might have been able to do a little more but I bet that most lifters on here has reached this point.
Was able to deadlift 550 lbs, squat 400 and bench 315 but then real life happened. Work got crazy, while getting a new girlfriend and so on. I started going to the gym less and less often until the point of not going at all for 2 years.
I'm 35 now and want to get back in the gym but I feel slightly demotivated because I know that I likely won't be able to surpass my previous best lifts.
At the same time my sex drive isn't what it used to be, which drives me crazy. I'm not impotent or anything like that but I just don't have that urge to fuck like I used to have.
This can be a age thing but also just an unhealthy lifestyle (not active enough).

I'm considering TRT but also considering doing a cycle to get back to my previous strength quickly.
Unfortunately I live in a country where legal TRT is not an option.

Am I being a complete idiot thinking of this stuff before even getting back into the gym?

What are your thoughts?

EDIT: I have never tried any PEDs but I have read about the stuff for years.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Have you had any blood work done? I would suggest that as a starting point.

P

Phaeer

Feb 11, 2019
Have you had any blood work done? I would suggest that as a starting point.
It's been years.

This is my next problem.

I live in Denmark so if anyone know how to go about getting blood work done in Denmark without it costing hundreds of dollars - I would love to know.
I can probably go to my doctor and ask for blood work once but no way he is willing to do blood work on me every 3-6 months. Especially if he suspects me being on gear.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I would at least get it done so you can see if any of your values are off.

P

Phaeer

Feb 11, 2019
I would at least get it done so you can see if any of your values are off.
I would never jump on without getting blood work done beforehand and during.

I make a decent living but to shell out $400-800 for blood work every 3-6 months seems a bit extreme.
Those are prices I have found on private hospitals.

Jin

Jin

MuscleHead
Jun 15, 2018
The most important thing to know are your natural levels to make sure you don’t have underlying hormone imbalances before you go and mess with exogenous hormones. Be it cycling or trt.

Go to the doc and tell him you want your test levels checked and give him your possible low t sides. Post your blood work and we can help from there.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
If you are low T then TRT would make your life all-around better. Gotta start with the doc and a test.

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
First off, get back into tip top shape. In the mean time study going 'on' and coming 'off'. Take heed to the risks as they are real. Get blood work now and then at 3 months of consistent training and eating properly. Go from there.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I agree with CFM. Don't start AAS until you have spent the time getting back into shape and get your bloodwork done before starting. At least you will have a good baseline to measure your progress and the side effects, when you start using AAS.

Also, be aware that long term use of AAS can lead to serious side effects, loss of libido, heightened blood pressure and cholesterol, kidney failure, liver failure, etc. You can control those somewhat by keeping your doses moderate over time and drinking a gallon of water each day, and monitoring your blood pressure and having bloodwork done regularly to look for trouble indicators. Also, ancillaries (DHT inhibitors, estrogen blockers and/or inhibitors, and the like) can help.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask for advice from those who have real life experience.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Why the hell is trt illegal?

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I'm 35 now and want to get back in the gym but I feel slightly demotivated because I know that I likely won't be able to surpass my previous best lifts.

How do you know this?

At the same time my sex drive isn't what it used to be, which drives me crazy. I'm not impotent or anything like that but I just don't have that urge to fuck like I used to have.
This can be a age thing but also just an unhealthy lifestyle (not active enough).

dont underestimate lifestyle (nutrition, stress, sleep habits) on how motivated you may or may not feel

I'm considering TRT but also considering doing a cycle to get back to my previous strength quickly.

If you had the strength before, you might be surprised at how quickly it came back. Muscle memory is very real.

Am I being a complete idiot thinking of this stuff before even getting back into the gym?

Yes. The advice below is good. Spend some time getting your life in order (more than just the gym). Relying on external hormones to make up for deficiencies in your training or lifestyle will just guarantee that you will not hold your progress.

In my opinion AAS should be used to push you over and above your natural limits....not to make up for your desire to not put work in. You are setting yourself up for failure.

First off, get back into tip top shape. In the mean time study going 'on' and coming 'off'. Take heed to the risks as they are real. Get blood work now and then at 3 months of consistent training and eating properly. Go from there.

This is GREAT advice. I spent 3 years training hard and fixing my lifestyle before I had my hormones checked and was the same age as the OP and I had been out of the gym for 10 years. It took me less than 3 months and I started to eclipse the best lifts of my 20s'. Within 12 workouts I was deadlifting 500+ again. But after getting in better and better shape, I wondered why I still felt like crap. I figured out I actually had true low t. (Like below the bottom of the scale....12 year old girl levels). I had suffered a TBI 3 years earlier along with a broken neck and that is what got me off my a$$ and back in the gym....but come to find out it damaged my pituitary. I was both hypothyroid AND hypogonadal.

That however did not stop me from from hitting 10% bf in fairly short order and closing in on a 600lb deadlift, squatting 500 and benching close to 400 at under 200lbs. Too many people treat low-t as an excuse. There is a lot of evidence that test is NOT as big a player in overall muscular growth (when talking within normal physiological levels...again not discounting it's effects at super-physiological levels)

By all means, if you are suffering symptoms of low-t get checked and treat it. But dont think it is a fast track to gym gains. Simply not so.

If you want to run a conventional cycle, get some time back in the gym. Get your training right, along with nutrition and then make that decision.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic