N

MuscleHead
Jun 22, 2012
sometimes it's big fun to take more time with less weight
sometimes i select 35 kilo at this point

don't you use pyramids sometimes?
I saw that in a gal's thread - forgot the member's nick now - her log
but saw it aswell elsewhere in the tid and on the net

you start with little weight with more reps - in the middle more weight with less reps - and back like in the beginning

but I never have a real checklist - :eek:

tanker_67

tanker_67

Aug 8, 2012
you don't want your reps going over like 15 lol. I guess some people like 20 reps but 44 reps? Unless you're doing a burnout I don't get why you'd do that. ESPECIALLY if you are wanting to get stronger. Those high of reps only would be for more like a cardio training.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
you don't want your reps going over like 15 lol. I guess some people like 20 reps but 44 reps? Unless you're doing a burnout I don't get why you'd do that. ESPECIALLY if you are wanting to get stronger. Those high of reps only would be for more like a cardio training.

5 reps tops for strength!

IMO 3's and 5's are best for building strength for a long time and 1's and '2 lean towards testing strength.

On the Deadlift it can be hard to commit to 5 reps as you got to have your technique down or each rep becomes 1 big mess after another and higher starting points, I reset each rep.

Doing 1's if I don't PR I'm not satisfied and do a drop set with reps, with the team I was with it was how we did it.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011

Over the past few years a lot of bodybuilders use the 20 rep scheme to build muscle but yeah it's a cardio also at least for my tired ass it is, 8's and up I'm doing cardio lol.

tanker_67

tanker_67

Aug 8, 2012
yeah dude. Like I stay under 8. Every once in a while if i grabbed too light of weight I will stop at 10 lol. most times its 5's and 3's for me too.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
yeah dude. Like I stay under 8. Every once in a while if i grabbed too light of weight I will stop at 10 lol. most times its 5's and 3's for me too.

Singles are a must when leading into a meet but when you got the numbers little porky keg has singles are always being done at least it is in Northern Cal with the 4 big teams out here.

I learn a lot from Mark Bell and he straight up told me to stop testing my strength and build some with 5's and 3's at one time.

My problem is I need a serious shoulder and bicep surgery so training is not at a point of PR's right now, I have lost strength!

N

MuscleHead
Jun 22, 2012
I don't have a biceps. :D I am really greatful of those few muscles I can "train".
Last monday I had three energy drinks before the gym - at the abductor I took all plates - 10 reps - hehe
the leg extension - I don't take many plates but that day it was going very well softly paining.
then squats in the beginning, pectoral machine in the end, the bench press in the middle like I described ... I was two days off now. The energy drink is not good before the gym. Or? Maybe it was good at the end of a gentle wave of gym visits.

tanker_67

tanker_67

Aug 8, 2012
Singles are a must when leading into a meet but when you got the numbers little porky keg has singles are always being done at least it is in Northern Cal with the 4 big teams out here.

I learn a lot from Mark Bell and he straight up told me to stop testing my strength and build some with 5's and 3's at one time.

My problem is I need a serious shoulder and bicep surgery so training is not at a point of PR's right now, I have lost strength!

Injuries suck bad! I had a partial quad tear in March, dropping my squat numbers in 1/2 and I refuse to train too heavy with legs still. Its crazy. I hear you on 1's and 2's. I have a meet coming up next month, so I have been doing 1's with my 5's and 3's, but I want to get my peak lift off, typically I'll do less 5's when I'm quite a ways out. My bench isn't impressive, but its not bad at 415 ish.

tanker_67

tanker_67

Aug 8, 2012
I don't take any supplements/steroids/etc all I take is protein.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I don't take any supplements/steroids/etc all I take is protein.

A legit raw 400+ bench drug free is impressive.
SFGiants is also right about having to lower the reps and frequency of heavy days as you get in to bigger weights. It fries your CNS too much.
I agree with doing some rep work to build strength, also speed work and overload sets either for partial ROM's or with a band to deload. Either way, good luck in your contest.

tanker_67

tanker_67

Aug 8, 2012
Thanks man. I've been considering doing some band work recently. I've heard some good things from some of my friends who have tried it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic