Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Competed in my first PowerLifting Meet yesterday...

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I was pressured repeatedly by a guy on another board to attend a powerlifting meet for nearly a year and a half, and finally buckled under the pressure and did the RPS comp in NY yesterday. I'd been putting off competing due to chronic shoulder pain/weakness that has held back my bench press. I kept wanting to wait until I had what I felt was a bench that wasn't embarrassing. Which mine is. I did the meet and all 3 lifts anyway.

Headed to Rochester NY on Friday with Mrs FLEX, got weighed in (266) and checked out the venue, got my settings for the mono, then met some people from another board for dinner.

The meet was split into two sessions, AM & PM, due to the sheer number of lifters (I think there was 99 in total). Showed up to the event shortly after 10am to watch the end of the AM session, rules meeting at noon, then lifting started at about 2:30 and went to about 9:30pm.

Got the awards and took pics, then headed back across the border home, getting in around 1am.

Overall it was a blast and I will definitely do it again.

My results:

Squats

Got off to a rough start on my opener (495) because the mono was set up for an outside grip and I use an inside grip; was worried I was going to squash my hands re-racking and my grip was too narrow. I got the lift but I was pissed - lesson learned though; it was my first time lifting in a mono and I didn't think to check the set-up before addressing the bar, and didn't think to stop and have them fix it before my lift. Nailed my 2nd attempt at 525, which was a 10lb PR for me, then smashed right past that with a 545 lift for my final attempt. Super effing happy. That is only 10 lbs less than my lifetime best squat almost 20 years ago.

Bench

Went as expected; nailed my opener of 275 no problem, barely squeezed out my 2nd attempt at 305 (tied my recent gym pr) and bombed a 315 attempt when my right shoulder gave out on me. Yes, I am in pain.

Deadlift

It was forever between my final bench and my first dead due to all the lifters that did bench only. I think all of use were feeling like we lost a lot of steam; it was over 2 hours of downtime for sure. So I turned to caffeine to kickstart myself and it turned my stomach a bit, but it calmed down by the time I finished my warmups. Last warmup was a 5 plate pull and it went up like nothing, and I just held it there, looked across at my buddy Alex that pretty much dragged me to this thing and he gave me a nod and I knew I was going to nail my 525 opener, which I did (and was a bit worried about up until then). Now hindsight being 20/20 I should have been more aggressive with the deads, but it is what it is. Second pull was 550 and it again went up no problem. Final pull was 575 and I had to work for it, but I think I had more in me.

That was all good enough for a 1425 total and a trophy, although I am quite sure I won by default; I don't think anyone else was in my class/division.

Some vids:

My 3rd and final squat - 545

Mine and my Buddy Alex's 2nd bench attempt - 305

Alex went right before me so Lisa just let the camera run.

My 3rd and final deadlift - 575

Couple pics.....

Dinner Friday night:

IMG_20130809_200454_521_zps5c101bf0.jpg

I'm on the left with the glasses and Mrs. Flex is the brunette behind me. Alex is on my right.

Me, Alex and Bando (he's a member here but I don't think he posts at all anymore) with our trophies at the end of the meet:

RPS_001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Superman

Superman

VIP Member
Aug 28, 2012
Congratulations man, Great total! Hope you continue to compete. Awesome lifts.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Congrats on a good first meet.

Gene puts on a great meet, I'm glad to hear that you chose one of his to dip your toe in the water with.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Congrats on a good first meet.

Gene puts on a great meet, I'm glad to hear that you chose one of his to dip your toe in the water with.

Thanks.

When we were loading up my stuff back in the car he was outside packing up the trailer, so I went and told him I had a great time and it was my first meet. Said thanks and shook his hand.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Super proud of you Flex.

Welcome to the club brother. You're not just another guy in the gym. You're a powerlifter. You're a competitor.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Congrats Flex, well done man. You busted your balls out there and hung in, great effort and result !!

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
Looks like you had plenty of gas left in the tank on squats and deads.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a large increase in your total for your next one.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Nice job flex. Glad to see you went for it

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
That total for a first meet is awesome!
Good shit my dude!

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Nice Flex ! Congrats !

How is the shoulder today ?

So how do you think the final week prep went that we had talked about in your log ? Do you feel like having about half a week off helped you peak better ? Or do you feel you would like to have had a light session 4 days before ?

Just curious.

Did you have fun?

Congrats again man.....you defnintely have a 600 pound dead lift

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Thanks everyone. Here's another pic. I'm in the Inzer singlet.

1249056c6bc330294e29e7dff2de2b72.jpg

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Congrats. That was a great first meet. How's the shoulder?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic