Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Colonoscopy now?

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Lol, I dreaded my first colonoscopy. If you're 50, it's been a while since what your Dad is talking about. Ask any colonoscopy veteran more recently, and they will tell you what was said above by someone ...... the procedure is nothing, it's the prep people hate. And that's not about pain, just the inconvenience of it all.

captaincaveman

captaincaveman

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 17, 2010
The cleanse is the worst part...but its only about 18 hours from start to finish. Schedule the procedure EARLY AM...mine was at 6:30AM...I was eating eggs and bacon at 8:30am. Ask for the "Michael Jackson" and you will not feel a thing before or after.

Also, see if you can get an upper GI done at the same time as the lower GI. Some places give a discount if the same tube is used for the lower and upper GI.

(The last part was/is a joke.)

R

Realize

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2010
Everything Raw said is correct from my experience. Simply, you cant eat and you'll be shitting your brains out for about a day. I even vomited but I didnt tell them about it.

Also like Raw said, if you have no symptoms there is no law saying you have to have it done on your 50th birthday. I got mine done at 37. Doctors orders.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
LMAO ....... something like that actually crossed my mind on my first "trip." Glancing around nervously before the sedation hit me much, I saw this gawdawful rubbery looking tube hanging from an oversize coat tree thing. My Doc doesn't offer the upper/lower special, but I did worry if they rinsed it off between me and the previous patient.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Everything Raw said is correct from my experience. Simply, you cant eat and you'll be shitting your brains out for about a day. I even vomited but I didnt tell them about it.

Also like Raw said, if you have no symptoms there is no law saying you have to have it done on your 50th birthday. I got mine done at 37. Doctors orders.

YES. I did have symptoms, a splotch of blood now and then while doing routine paperwork, and I was also less than 50. Naturally I went into denial for a while, recalled a co-worker who had the same symptom but his was just from hemorrhoids, so why worry. Wifey nagged me about it though, by the time I gave in they found just one polyp, but it was large and looked "like it had been there a while." Didn't say anything else but he looked worried. Irony was that the usual post-op pathology report said it was just "pre-cancerous," but that scared me enough to follow doctor's orders when he scheduled more-frequent-than-usual procedures on me for the first few till I seemed clear. Either that, or he was just very, very fond of me. Stupidest thing in the world would be to die of colon cancer, or else live with a colostomy bag the rest of your life, when either is so easily prevented.

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
NOTHING LIKE A GOOD CLEANING

i went in with only 12 hours of no food --lol doc was mad
but i was all cleaned out lmao

Reactions: CFM
Swiper

Swiper

VIP Member
Jan 8, 2011
lol the camera goes in about 5 feet. i’m sure most you clowns are use to about 12inches anyway........

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
Having just turned the big Five Oh and seeing my doc this Thursday.... the colonoscopy is on his to-do list so I've got one coming too. Keeping tabs on this thread, Thanks for bringing it up.

Btw if I am cutting, doesn't the fast and purge actually help me?

Last edited:
R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Having just turned the big Five Oh and seeing my doc this Thursday.... the colonoscopy is on his to-do list so I've got one coming too. Keeping tabs on this thread, Thanks for bringing it up.

Btw if I am cutting, doesn't the fast and purge actually help me?

Lol, not sure if serious or joking, but that 50yo recommendation is not a precise "must do." It's probably based on tons of statistics, and it's a nice round number with which to sell the public on the idea. Also pretty convenient for doctors to use to plan their case management of long term patients who stay with them as they age, and maybe for insurance companies to set their own rigid rules as to when is too soon. I'm a believer in colonoscopies as well as bloodwork, chest x-rays, and a few other things that vary with the individual, but I view "50yo" as a guideline and not an exact figure. I had my first procedure done earlier because I had symptoms, but an asymptomatic person could probably factor in some leeway there.

If you're cutting or bulking, or cycling or blasting, and if that's gonna be for 8 weeks or 20, get that first procedure done somewhere around 50, don't obsess, and don't let the doctor coax you into something that exactly matches his program.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
I look at my clinic's account and it says "Overdue" and under overdue is "Flu shot" (I get one at work) and "Colorectal Cancer Screening-Colonoscopy" and "overdue since (my birthday)". I have my yearly physical this week and I just assumed he would bring it up. But yeah, its not like an emergency thing, more of a "do sometime sooner rather than later".

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
Btw the doctor just ordered a home test kit instead of the colonoscopy procedure. If it comes back negative I won't need a colonoscopy.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic