What's New?

Climate Change - Real or Not?

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
:)

Sure thing. Let me know.

When it comes to quantum wave function collapse interpretations I tend to be a Many Worlds ( Everettian) guy. Sean Carroll has many lecture on this theory. Sabine Hossenfelder has an interpretation called Super Determinism which is interesting.

My favorite areas of interest are quantum entanglement, quantum gravity, computational complexity (Stephen Wolfram). I'm also very interested in dark energy (cosmological constant) and the expansion of the universe. And of Black Holes.

Will do!...I've got a few pages of notes from the Hawking book (Space-Time)...I'm gonna find the other thread to respond further on this subject (may as well, as we have already touched on it in that thread)...Look forward to the discussion my friend!!!...

T

taniyatmadden

Mar 13, 2023
It's crazy how the weather has become more unpredictable and severe in recent times, right? As for me, I live in a coastal area and have noticed more frequent and severe storms and flooding. It's concerning.

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
Yesterday I saw something I never thought I would see. Sun out 36 degrees. First snow then sleet then rain all floating around pollen puddles lol.

MorganKane

MorganKane

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2012
Climate change is real. You have to be in idiot to deny it.
Why its changing , that seems to be up for debate.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
The climate is always changing. It's always been changing. What impact are present changes we see caused by human action? Some say it's significant. I say it's insignificant.

I'd like this basic question answered. (I'm not being a smart ass. This is a reasonable question that has to be answered before anyone should reasonably agree to have their behavior regulated by the state).

If the climate is changing, and that's a bad thing, then the person making that statement that climate change is a crisis is implicitly stating that they know what the optimal climate is, and that the present changes in the climate are moving us away from and not towards the optimal climate for the earth. What is the optimal climate? and why?

If the optimal climate is 1 degree warmer than the present climate temperature, global warming is a good thing and not a bad thing. If the optimal climate is 1 degree cooler than the present climate temperature, what criteria are we using to conclude what is optimal climate? Is there consensus on that? I never hear anyone talking about this, and without agreement on this, how can we reasonably discuss creating rules and regulations to encourage/discourage behavior?

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
The fun part is: none of our right leaning members are denying climate change, yet here we have @fasttwitch using elementary slurs for his neighbors and fellow members here on TID.

No one denying it @fasttwitch. Please stop with your dividing at best/ nasty at worst labels for people.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
The fun part is: none of our right leaning members are denying climate change.
I might be. Would someone please define climate change for me?

If it means just what the normal language means, then no one could deny it. After all, the only constant is that the weather changes. But that's not what is meant by the term because that would not be newsworthy, and certainly not scary. It used to mean global warming, until the data showed a "pause" (remember U. of East Anglia's "hide the decline" email?). In fact, the global temp data since 2013 shows no statistical increase. So climate change means something different.

Right now, when there's a drought, it's due to climate change. When there's a flood, climate change! When there's a big hurricane, climate change. When there's a quiet hurricane season, climate change... Color me skeptical. A reasonable discussion has to fix the meaning of the terms, and then provide data to support the contention.

Until then, I deny climate change.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
I DO believe that weather warfare is a real factor.
https://apps.dtic.mil/docs/citations/ADA333462

I also recognize that in as many of my 56 years that I’ve been old enough to observe / notice weather patterns through my lifetime — the patterns are different than I’ve personally ever experienced…. So that’s a “change.”
The biggest contention seems to be a question and presumptions of WHAT the cause of change is rather than if there’s a change or not.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic