Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Clean And Press

silvereyes87

silvereyes87

MuscleHead
May 28, 2016
Think clean and press has its place in powerlifting training?
I personally love them. My wrestling coach had us doing them in highschool and always came back to them.

Florence Noir Belot

Florence Noir Belot

TID Lady Member
Jun 11, 2018
It's not specific for powerlifting.

If you are preparing for a meet, I don't see any advantages in exchanging Squat, Bench and Deadlift for Clean and Press.

However, if you are off season and in volume phases, you can have a more non specific type of training.

silvereyes87

silvereyes87

MuscleHead
May 28, 2016

If you are preparing for a meet, I don't see any advantages in exchanging Squat, Bench and Deadlift for Clean and Press.

However, if you are off season and in volume phases, you can have a more non specific type of training.

Oh i was never going to replace any of the big 3 with it. It qas just an addition on a different day. I thought it could gelo with speed, and perhaps a little to full body strength. But I could see it as hurting me if it hurt my recovery time as a whole.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
power cleans and/or clean and press are great for improving functional speed, explosivness, and power off the line. I think they are essential during the off season for football lineman an either side of the ball and excellent for all other positions except for maybe QB. the only issue is its easy to get injured because of the type of movement especially your wrists. as far as powerlifting goes any change up in routine will help so throwing those in during a down phase using lighter weights improving on technique and explosivness.

silvereyes87

silvereyes87

MuscleHead
May 28, 2016
I like that idea. Offseason training definitely

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
I thought this was going to be about Chinese laundry.

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
It was my favorite lift 20 years ago. Now I'd get injured watching someone do it. Back to my old people machines...

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Think clean and press has its place in powerlifting training?
I personally love them. My wrestling coach had us doing them in highschool and always came back to them.

Absolutely not. The law of specificity........in other words........if you want to get good at the squat bench press and deadlift, then you have to squat bench press and deadlift. The clean is done with the weight more on the toes. The press.....powerlifters don't do anything over head so you are putting the already stress out shoulder from heavy bench press training at risk of injury. Powerlifting is done with the weight on the heel so the bar travels in a line closer to the center of the body. Only do assistance exercises that follow the same plane of movement as your core lifts.

The only exception would be if you plan on including repetitive movement exercise (8-12 reps) to increase hypertrophy. If you are wanting to increase speed (force production) use rubber bands with your core movements and do about 40-50% of your max (10-12 sets of 3 reps). That way you are assured the gains will directly transfer.

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011

This makes zero sense. You telling me the only thing you do for PL is squat bench and dead? You Bulgarian by any chance?

Gpp? Conjugate? I mean since when does an over head press not carry over to bench? Or the explosiveness of the clean not carry over into squats and deads?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Absolutely not. The law of specificity........in other words........if you want to get good at the squat bench press and deadlift, then you have to squat bench press and deadlift. The clean is done with the weight more on the toes. The press.....powerlifters don't do anything over head so you are putting the already stress out shoulder from heavy bench press training at risk of injury. Powerlifting is done with the weight on the heel so the bar travels in a line closer to the center of the body. Only do assistance exercises that follow the same plane of movement as your core lifts.

The only exception would be if you plan on including repetitive movement exercise (8-12 reps) to increase hypertrophy. If you are wanting to increase speed (force production) use rubber bands with your core movements and do about 40-50% of your max (10-12 sets of 3 reps). That way you are assured the gains will directly transfer.
If you want to prevent shoulder injury while benching then overhead press.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Cleans have a different set up, and the mechanics are different as well ie. shoulders in front of the bar instead of lined up or behind when you deadlift. Now, that doesn't mean it can't be a great accessory lift to increase explosiveness, coordination, etc. You want to make sure you have the proper equipment as well as the proper training so you don't "woof" the bar up which is worthless. There are plenty of posts/threads in here from yours truly.

I would recommend performing power cleans and not squat cleans. I wouldn't recommend jerking the weight as it's more about getting under the bar and properly alinging your bone structure to maximize efficiency so you don't "press out". Instead perform a Clean and Press. It'll have a greater carryover to your sport which is key. You can perform the power cleans (which is dictated by your recieving position) from the floor, hang, or from blocks all work different facets of the lift and accomplish different goals. Blocks are for speed, hang is for really strengthening your lower bar, floor allows you to work all 3 pulls of the lift.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic