Threads
Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I can confidently state that at least 80% of the people I train with are complaining about chronic elbow pain. And no matter how much they floss their elbows, stretch the biceps and triceps nothing seems to alleviate this pain.

It seems to ache the worst on squat days and will often times shut down pressing days. When we are trying to progress, these kinds of aches are a tremendous hindrance. When your bench day is calling for some triples at 340lbs and you can’t even press 225 progress stops.

So what the heck is causing so many lifters to suffer? Look no further than the bar you’re using! This isn’t new information but it seems to be something that escapes a lot of people in the gym. So I don’t mind repeating it at all.

When you pin yourself under the squat bar and get your back nice and tight, chest is up and you’ve got a big belly full of air you are in a horrible anatomical position! You are pinching a nerve in the shoulder and the elbow pain you feel is referral through the nerve. If pain referral is unfamiliar to you, this is the phenomena where pain stimuli in one area of the body are perceived as coming from another part. The easiest example of this is a type of visceral pain referral when having a heart attack. Sensations of pain are felt in the medial portion of the left arm. This is because the same spinal segments (T1-T5) innervate the heart as well as the arm. For whatever reason the brain is interpreting the pain stimulus as coming from the more common pathway in the arm.

The anatomy of the shoulder is quite complex. In fact I think it is one of the most amazing structures in the human body. There are several nerves with roots in the cervical spine (C4-C8) as well as the first vertebrae of the Thoracic Spine (T1) which run down the arm. Most notably, the radial (and axillary which branches off) nerve, musculocutaneous nerve, ulnar nerve and median nerve as pictured below.

CFV6rls.png

Which nerve you are crushing is unclear. I have never found a definitive source explaining which nerve, but it is clear from the characteristics of the pain that it certainly is nerve pain. My best guess is you are pinching either the radial or median nerve.

I propose going through the process of elimination.

Step 1. Stop wrapping your thumbs around the bar. In some cases this is enough. This is not a safety issue in my opinion. Your thumb is not what is holding up the bar, your back is. The heel of your hand is perfectly capable of stabilizing the bar. Use chalk to prevent slipping. If your gym doesn’t allow chalk either use it anyway or find a new gym. Chalk is for safety!

Step 2. Bring your grip width out further. No this does not mean your back will be loose. Shove yourself under the bar and set up like you would with your normal grip. Once the bar is on your back where it should be (but before unracking) slowly extend the elbows so your hands move away. Do not let go of the tension on your upper back when doing this. Once you are at max extension possible, perform your squat.

Step 3. Stop squatting with an Olympic Barbell at every session. You simply need to give yourself a break from it. There are many other options for you to squat with fortunately. Safety Squat Bar, Camber Bar, and buffalo bar are the most common. The Safety Squat Bar (SSB) is one of the most difficult to use and will add pounds to your squat. Don’t plan on using your typical working weights with this monster. The Camber Bar I find awkward and don’t use it as much as I should. It’s fantastic for good mornings with chains or bands as well. The Buffalo Bar most are not familiar with. The bar is simply curved. When racked it looks like you have 2,000lbs on it. Except the sleeves holding the plates remain parallel to the floor. The Buffalo bar will take some getting used to as well. It forces me into a higher bar position and it is a challenge to keep the chest up. This is a great thing though!

Laura Phelps-Sweatt with a Buffalo Bar
myMOllH.png

So if it took you all the way to step 3 to find relief you need to be aware of some things if you plan on stepping on the platform. You will need to swap that bar out for a squat bar at some point prior to the meet. Depending on how you peak this is very possible to do. You can certainly still accumulate a ton of volume. But you do need to get your technical bits in order. Typically switching from an SSB to a squat bar is actually quite simple. The challenges of an SSB will improve your squat mechanics. So don’t fret. Just switch back to the squat bar when you are 4 to 6 weeks out.

-Strength First

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I am one of the victims who suffers the heartbreak of elbow pain. I want a SS bar for sure but they aren't cheap. I will try the first two tomorrow

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Working on shoulder mobility may help with the pinching of nerves since so many have limited mobility in their shoulder which I would take as their shoulder sitting to deep in the socket (this leads to an impingement) and that leads to limited ROM.

Personally, I can't squat with a wider grip. I do lose tightness and it throws me off.

Buffalo and cambered bars throw most people forward when squatting so watch out and be sure to go a bit lighter to get used to the sway. I'm guilty of not using my SSB and that is something I'll start doing. I'll put it in my assisting lifts.... still going to hit my main squat with my squat bar.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Nice write-up. I'll add that there is also a massive imbalance of work done closing the hand, vs opening the hand. How often are you opening your hand against resistance? Now how about closing it against resistance? MASSIVE imbalance there, and somewhat designed like that physiologically, but not to the extent that lifters find the imbalance. Solution? Put a rubber band around your fingers while watching tv and open you hand up against the pressure. Fill a 5 gallon bucket with uncooked cheap rice and then dig your hands to the bottom by knifing through with an open hand and spread fingers. You'll need to wiggle and flex and twist and open to get to the bottom. These things help too.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
x2 and I'm always fighting it as well. There is an attachment from Dave Draper called the Top Squat. It's a nice tool for guys who can't haul a full Bar to and from the gym.

E

EastCoast1

Jul 20, 2015
Great info. Definitely have had my fair share of this over the years, and it is a real bitch to deal with. Even worse than the Olympic bar is the squat bar. That thing will light me up in one session due to the added girth.

I love the SSB. I spent all winter/spring grinding away on that thing. We have a Duffalo(Chris Duffin's buffalo bar) on order and I can't wait to spend some time with that.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
x2 and I'm always fighting it as well. There is an attachment from Dave Draper called the Top Squat. It's a nice tool for guys who can't haul a full Bar to and from the gym.
Unfortunately, it's unavailable. I looked into this awhile back. I suspect it may be discontinued permanently.

If cost is not a factor, what would be the easiest bar to learn to use comfortably for a high bar squatter? For those who compete, when is the best time to use an alternative bar (off-season, early stages in a peak period, etc.) and how often (every week, once a month, etc.)?

Last edited:
E

EastCoast1

Jul 20, 2015
Unfortunately, it's unavailable. I looked into this awhile back. I suspect it may be discontinued permanently.

If cost is not a factor, what would be the easiest bar to learn to use comfortably for a high bar squatter? For those who compete, when is the best time to use an alternative bar (off-season, early stages in a peak period, etc.) and how often (every week, once a month, etc.)?

In my opinion, the best money you will ever spend on a specialty bar, will be an SSB. This is probably my favorite piece of equipment, personally speaking. If you can budget 2 bars a Buffalo/Duffalo bar would be a great addition and compliment to the SSB.

How to best utilize them depends on the bar. A buffalo bar is more like a traditional BB squat so it can be kept in longer IMO. Your movement patterns are going to be much more similar to your competition squat with this bar. It doesn't really change the dynamic of the squat. I would be fairly comfortable using that up until even 6-8wk out. Should have no problems as a high bar squatter adopting to this bar. I would hold out for Chris Duffins version. It is on presale now, and looks to correct some of the shortcomings of other Buffalo bars. We have one on order and I can't wait to get it, as our current buffalo bar sucks dick.

The SSB changes your movement patterns to a degree, and just "feels" different than a traditional bar. It really wants to fold your ass over, so it is great for building the mid/upper back, and also relieving the arm pain of death. I personally use it heavy in the offseason. In prep I use it more for assistance/secondary movements. Things like paused squats, dead squats, etc that come after my main working sets, is where I use the SSB as I get closer to a meet. Again, as a high bar squatter, you are going to have no issues using this bar.

Get a GOOD SSB. I have used some that felt awkward, and not well designed. Can't go wrong with the EliteFTS SS Yoke bar.

Just my opinions and experience here. I am sure you will get some insight from others as well.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
PillarofBalance .. you should post this on your Facebook page, so I can tag/share it.

Last edited by a moderator:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
ChrisLindsay9 you asked in your log about which bar to use and how to incorporate this prior to a meet.

I agree with Eastcoast. The SSB is the best bang for the buck imo as well because it can be used for all sorts of other assistance stuff like JM Press, goodmorning, rounded good mornings, front squats etc.

You can consistently use this bar in training and very close to a meet.

For example the peak you just ran - I would have you use the SSB thru the first and second blocks. At the deload between block 2 and 3 I would put the oly bar back in. 5 weeks out.

Switching back is easy. When you pick up an ssb you are shrugging into the bar the whole time. It's not like you can relax the upper back. So getting tight under a squat bar actually becomes easier.

JoeFriday

JoeFriday

MuscleHead
Mar 21, 2014
*raises hand* Question, Mr PoB. Would this nerve also go for arm work in general when it comes to barbells, both weighted and Olympic? How about with overhand grips?

Rod crowley

Rod crowley

Dec 1, 2012
I have elbow and shoulder pain.On and off.I contribute it to my age.I'm 51.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic