MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Getting Close, What 5 days out?

You got this.;)

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Thanks guys. Sorry, I've been barely around - we've had some restructuring here at work that's been keeping me pretty busy. I would try to jump on the boards for a few minutes at a time, but would get interrupted before I could reply to posts, or update my journal.

My concerns about carrying a higher training weight closer to the meet seemed unfounded. First time I've ever drastically cut carbs, and the weight drop was pretty fast for me. I'm still eating full calories, just at a 55p/10c/35f macro split. But I'm within range to make a relatively painless water/food fast the night before weigh-in.

One aspect to all the "making weight" guides is that people are either BS-ing when they say keep carbs under 20-25g (including fiber carbs) or they are totally forgetting to mention the need for a stool softener like Senna to keep you from getting backed up. I've been keeping my carb intake between 35-45g fyi but if it weren't for Senna, I'd be in some serious discomfort. :p (apologies for the tmi)

With regard to my lifts.

It's a bit of a crapshoot. I don't feel as ready as when I went to AAPF Nationals, but I feel better than I did before I did the meets beforehand.

My shoulder/bicep issue seems to have been a bicep tendon that slipped out of place. With the help of some youtube videos, I think I have it mostly back in place now (will have someone look at it - after the meet), so that means I'm back to benching with minimal discomfort, but my technique is wonky (landing higher up on my chest). My DL moves well, but having grip issues again (possibly connected to my bicep/delt issue). Squat progressed well, but last few weeks felt heavy. With that being said, I'm going to try and hit a 1030 qualifying total raw (belt and wrist wraps only) for the XPC Classic at the Arnold. My openers are going to be 345 squat, 185 bench, 425 deadlift.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Great numbers there Chris, wishing you all the best buddy!

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Well I missed the Arnold Qualifier (1030) by twenty pounds. And despite not really feeling like I was going into the meet with the right mental and physical preparedness, I ended up getting tiny PRs in squat and deadlift, and total for 9-lifts.

Final numbers: 370 squat/185 bench/455 deadlift = 1010 total at a weigh-in weight of 123.2lbs/55.8kg in the 123.4lb/56kg class.

I did take first place overall lifter, which was pretty cool. But it was a small meet, and a lot of inexperienced/new lifters. Still, I'll take a first place win in which I competed w/ no wraps or sleeves and with an arm that was a little nicked up.

Warming up on squats was rough, and I missed my 345 opener because of depth, but I was able to get my second (355) and third (370) although I thought I was going to be high again. Bench warmup felt good, but started feeling some discomfort in by bicep/delt area again. But my 185 opener moved so well, I was convinced that I had 195 and maybe even 200 in me. But my second attempt at 195 stalled and my third attempt at it barely came off my chest. So at that point, the Arnold qualifier wasn't going to happen. So my goal was to just try and get a 1000 total and go 3/3 on deadlifts. So I lowered my opener to 415 which moved stupid well, I then went to 435 (I thought that was my 1000lb total - meathead math) and that moved really well too (even the lockout surprised me). So from there I went for the small PR of 455. I had not faith I was going to get it. I went to the bar thinking "give this audience a show by bringing it to my thighs stupid fast" ... but I surprised myself that I was able to lock it out. Now, the astute observer noticed my left hand grip giving out as I held the lockout so the down command came just before the bar would slip from my grip. I may have had 460 in me, but I don't think the grip was there for anything more.

Video below is compilation of my top lifts (370sq/185bn/195bnMiss/455dl)

My wife did bench only at this meet and went 3/3 and hit a PR on her second attempt, and again on her third attempt. I was real proud of her as she grinded out 130 on that third attempt. We were the only two people to set or break UPA national records - so that was kind of cool too.

Last edited:
Yomo

Yomo

MuscleHead
Dec 18, 2015
Congrats CL...awesome work, despite circumstances....sorry about barely missing the Arnold...just more motivation for you to move even heavier weight we all know you're more than capable of...congrats again my friend...Strong work....

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Congrats Chris, bloody amazing !! There's always next year... and I'd hate to think what poundage you'll be hauling by then. Fantastic stuff buddy.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Hope all is well with you Chris, you still lifting buddy?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic