Rolanalon
What's New?

ChrisLindsay9's Journal - "Lightweight Strong"

Eclipse73

Eclipse73

MuscleHead
Nov 13, 2014
Chris great few last workout!!!!
I didn't check this :sorry::sorry:,now I try come hier often.
I think that is great that you try new exercises bro!!!A lot of guys stay in the same place for years.It's very good idea and can help you with your goals:):)
DB Incline press-I'm not agree with most of the guys-everybody have to find owner incline-I use usually 30 degree,a lot of guys in my gym 45 degree,but if somebody tell me that my incline is not good,yeah I said only one "Fu...Off this degrees working for me very good ,if you think other that is your problems not my """""
I know the people which use 60degree but I never said to somebody that your incline is bad -it all depends on how you feel this movement,my chest work much better by 30 degree and that's all,no discussion
You have to find yours "degrees"-our bodys are different,mechanics of movement also - if you look to 1000 guys out gym which do for exemp. BB curls or Bent-over rows you can see how many diferences are between technique of them,the same situation is with DB incline press

Face pull -maybe this can help you?????
Bullet Proof Shoulders: 3 Ways You're Screwing Up Face Pulls

Good luck bro!!!!

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
THURSDAY (05/08/15)
(Recovery Week*)

*Also using this week to try out new accessory/assistance exercises that will be in my new program; determination of proper weight/reps, practice form, and gauge overall intensity.

Squat (no belt. no knee support) - trying out low bar squatting
135x15
155x15 (vid)
175x15

Good Morning
115x7 (RPE 5)
135x7 (RPE 7-8) (vid of last set)

Kettle Bell Pull-Through/Swings - (new-ish exercise)
35x15 x2 sets (video of second set)

DB Bulgarian Split Squat
- (new exercise)
8x10 x2 sets (video of second set, after about a dozen takes ... haha)
*got the advice of using only one DB, but I couldn't do it .. don't have the coordination or balance for it

GHR off Lat Pull Down Machine
BW x10

Leg Curl Machine
75x40 (RPE 6-7) ... 75 rep PR! hahaha
*POB has me doing a 100-rep set to failure in a few weeks at an RPE of 10, so I wanted to get a feel for what the weight should be at 100 reps. I'm guessing it'll be 45 or 50lbs.

Low Bar Squat ... I know the form is a bit off. So the good - the barbell placement feels good because it was resting on that shelf. The bad - I'm not sure about the degree of bent-overness, and my depth was a bit high on most of my reps, and my head angle varied from set to set (trying to be neutral with spine, but easier knowing than doing I guess).

Before everyone starts sending me video links, save your time (for now). I have the best low bar squat technique vids on my phone, and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" book in my gym bag. So, I know what to do, just gotta learn to do it. Any cues that might help, feel free to comment.
[video]https://youtu.be/cuarU9mSsog[/video]

My GMs are starting to improve. I think the movement pattern learning is just about done ... because 135x7 wasn't as hard as when I would try doing 135x4 or 5. And I'm really feeling a good stretch in the hamstrings and decent glute contraction.
[video]https://youtu.be/4kd-3HdarDc[/video]

POB suggested that I try to bend over a bit more, so I can go further back ... will work on that.
[video]https://youtu.be/ZNi2BsrUbxQ[/video]

As I mentioned above, I received the advice of using just one DB at a time, but I couldn't do it .. don't have the coordination or balance for it. Maybe when I get better at the movement, then I will. ... This exercise feels more like yoga stretching than strength training right now .. haha.
** Oh and a tip from a split squat technique vid that POB sent me about leaning forward a little was of huge benefit to me.
[video]https://youtu.be/ErJjFiPMyyU[/video]

Last edited:
Eclipse73

Eclipse73

MuscleHead
Nov 13, 2014
Chris that was awesome bro!!! All workout!!!
You evolve -a lot of new exercises-great man.

One thing Chris-I'm not sure but-bulgarian split squat-I think that you crus(is that good name-part of your leg between knee and foot) have to be more with vertical position

Hier is vid of J. Meadows

Last edited by a moderator:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
What did you think of the sandbags? I have a couple of my guys doing them now and it has done a lot for upper back strength and builds work capacity for deadlifting... its someone experimental in the program at this point. Give me an honest assessment

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Oh also the JM press is like the love child of the bench and skullcrusher. So bring down like a bench and once your elbows get to parallel or so press/extend back up.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
What did you think of the sandbags? I have a couple of my guys doing them now and it has done a lot for upper back strength and builds work capacity for deadlifting... its someone experimental in the program at this point. Give me an honest assessment
I will definitely do that. I like to give an exercise at least 3-4 chances before being comfortable in giving some feedback. Except birddog, we may need to talk about that one. Heh.

FRIDAY (05/08/15)

(Recovery Week*)

*Also using this week to try out new accessory/assistance exercises that will be in my new program; determination of proper weight/reps, practice form, and gauge overall intensity.

Paused Bench
160x3 x3 sets

Strict OH Press
105x3 x3 sets (RPE 7-8)

Front DB Raises
25x10 x3 sets (RPE 7)

JM Press (new exercise)
45x10 (VID)
50x10 x2 sets

DB Spoon Press
40x12 x4 sets (RPE 7)

Face Pulls (new exercise)
25x15 x2 sets

Bird Dog
I think I got 30 seconds of meaningful work, out of 4 minutes of getting into the form. I might be able to get a trainer to help me with this next week.

NOTES:
Oh also the JM press is like the love child of the bench and skullcrusher. So bring down like a bench and once your elbows get to parallel or so press/extend back up.
Got it. I also think the movement clicked for me from two cues that helped me from a video I referenced; they were (1) palms up and (2) imagine the bar movement that of a smith machine. I definitely felt it in the triceps afterwards.

SUNDAY (05/10/15)
(Pre-Peaking Week - Transitional Program*)

*Continuing my plan to use this week to try out new accessory/assistance exercises that will be in my new program; determination of proper weight/reps, practice form, and gauge overall intensity. This week is my programming. Next week it's PoB's programming.

Deadlift
185x15
205x15
235x15 x2 sets (with belt) - 53%
*vid of last set
Ugh ... next week it's 242x15 x4 sets :-??

Sumo Deadlift (experimental/new exercise - not in PoB's program)
165x5 x3 sets

Barbell Row
75x10 x2 sets
95x10 x2 sets (vid is of last set)

Lat Pulldown
70x10
100x10
110x10 (RPE 7)
120x8 (form broke down on 8th rep)

Weighted Planks
90lbs. x 30 seconds
115lbs. x 30 seconds

Bird Dogs
Haha - nope! But will try again with a trainer next week.

NOTES:
I'm thinking of incorporating sumo pulls in my warmups/pre-workout mobility work to help get the hips warmed up. I have been doing some band stuff from the internet, but I'm not sure if it's really helping. Plus, it's something different that I've been wanting to try for awhile. I'll take it real easy and just keep it under 200lbs for the duration of the program.

[video]https://youtu.be/ou2brftiCNw[/video]

I avoided doing barbell row, and that is one of the reasons why I wanted to get help with my programming. I'm biasing my assistance work to exercises I like to do ... so this is my first go around with them, and I am pretty optimistic about it. I started light of course, but I think my body compositional changes (better mobility, stronger lower back and posterior chain, etc.) have allowed me to be able to do these with better form than I could a couple of years ago. I look forward to seeing how I progress with these. Keeping the elbows tucked in a bit was a problem, until I thought to wear my elbow sleeves ... and then it was a lot easier to do.

[video]https://youtu.be/J07JR6hdemw[/video]

I haven't done the lat pull down in a couple of years for two reasons. It hurt my shoulders and I could never figure out the proper form because everyone does these differently (some are more upright, some lean back, some have wider grip on the lat pulldown bar, some go narrower, etc.) ... even the "experts" seem conflicted. But I think I found the sweet spot pretty early because it seemed like it was hitting my upper and middle lats. I don't think I'll ever be able to bring the lat pulldown bar to my chest ... but rather, it'll extend to about 3-4 inches above it. I know that hitting the chest really is the ideal, but it feels like my shoulders are ripping apart. And going wide on the pulldown bar doesn't seem to change anything, nor does leaning back further.

OK, so here's vid of my sumo pulls. Keeping in mind I have short legs and can't go super wide, I do think I could go a smidge wider. And that first rep was yucky ... I know. But what do you think, is it an exercise that I can/should work on? Maybe incorporate it into my warmup routine on deadlift and/or squat days?

Last edited by a moderator:
Eclipse73

Eclipse73

MuscleHead
Nov 13, 2014
Chris WHAT A BIG WORK!!!
GREAT WORKOUTS WITH A LOT OF INTENSITY AND NEW EXERCISES.
You go exactly where you need to go.

What do you think about Sumo DL-what is your opinion after this workout???

JM -much better,I saw this exercise by ELITE FTS Dave Tate-and now you're doing JM almost exactly as he-BB go up and down with vertical line

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
Nice work, Chris. Fifteen rep deadlifts are not for the faint hearted. Good luck with that!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Some comments:

Lat pull down - don't worry about touching your chest. This isn't going to happen with those telephone poles for arms. What will happen is you will exceed a safe ROM and injure your shoulders.

Sumo DL: definitely go wider. With your arm length relative to legs you should be almost upright at the start. Knees should not be out over the toes.

Barbell row: you will benefit from these tremendously on deads and bench! Those looked good. Bend the knees a bit more if you can.

JM Press was dynamite!!!

Sorry about the bird dogs man... they are kinda lame I know. But they are awesome for keeping the low back healthy. If you have a reverse hyper do those instead. I put those in rather than reverse hypers because 99% of gyms don't have one. You can do them at home like I do (I do reverse hypers too though) if it's embarrassing lol

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Chris reading these posts above reminds me of how fortunate we are to be here and have such expert help when ever we need it.

Your above post of your workout was excellent and thanks for your vids. This log is truly helpful.

Great work brother!!!

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
TUESDAY (05/12/15)
(Pre-Peaking Week - Transitional Program*)

*Continuing my plan to use this week to try out new accessory/assistance exercises that will be in my new program; determination of proper weight/reps, practice form, and gauge overall intensity. This week is my programming. Next week it's PoB's programming.

Bench Press
140x5 (68%)
155x3 (76%)
175x3 (85%) - vid

Incline DB Bench Press
35x15 - vid (form check - the degree of incline)
40x15
45x15 (RPE 7)

CG Bench off 2 Board
135x5
145x5
150x5 x3 sets (RPE 7) - vid

JM Press - new exercise
55x10
60x10 - vid (form check)
65x10

Sand Bag Pickups
30x15 (per shoulder) x2 sets

Face Pulls
25x15 x2 sets - vid (form check)

Pull-Ups (AMRAP)
BWx12
BWx10
BWx10

Bench Press w/ Pause ... felt pretty good, the second rep was probably closer to touch n' go, then a competition pause ... but it's still progress. I know I've said this before, but I think the leg drive is happening. My body finally is doing what I want, in that my butt is slightly up on the bench (still touching), but the parts of my body that are pressing against something - are my upper back (on the bench) and feet (on the floor). It's starting to be automatic. I just gotta keep doing this and work on that arch, and I might be able to get my bench progressing.
[video]https://youtu.be/t7NCKz4A3ZE[/video]

DB Incline Bench ... in my last vid of DB Incline Press, I got the feedback that it may have been too much of an incline. How's this? Based on the benches available to me, it's either this degree of incline .. or this from last week.
[video]https://youtu.be/PxhizAek_cw[/video]

Close Grip Bench - 2 Board ... so it's actually a piece of foam that I put under my shirt, but it's exactly the same height as a 2-Board. My new program will have be doing CG Bench off the Floor, and there may be times that I don't have access to a power cage ... so I asked PillarOfBalance if this would serve as an alternate in those cases.
[video]https://youtu.be/0O6pLDr5NP8[/video]

JM Press ... yeah, I'm really feeling confident that I'm getting the hang of this new exercise. Starting to get a bit more aggressive in pushing the weight up. I usually have to do a few practice reps with a one of the gym's 15lb barbells ... but last night, I really felt it in the triceps by the end of my sets.
[video]https://youtu.be/_x7aiQPD6Sw[/video]

Face Pulls ... Based on feedback, I think I got the rope handle little lower than last week's attempt (the back end of the rope handle starting just above my head to about mouth level). But I think that's too low. It's weird how the motion looks different on video than what it seems like when I'm doing them. I also focused on opening up the upper back.
[video]https://youtu.be/ctaIPSyxKF4[/video]

<><><>
Chris reading these posts above reminds me of how fortunate we are to be here and have such expert help when ever we need it.

Your above post of your workout was excellent and thanks for your vids. This log is truly helpful.
Thanks Bull! And I agree with you. I want to do anything I can to make myself a really good powerlifter, so if it means putting myself out there for people to read my log and see my training vids ... so be it. The feedback, critiques, and encouragement everyone provides is of great benefit.

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
When you do the face pulls bring the center of the rope to eye level. Your hands should be pronated and above your head at that point. What you were doing was basically just a row.

Quick tip for that bench you are on. Rather than use the band for grip get some shelf liner. The rubbery mesh kind. Lay that down and you aren't going anywhere!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic