Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon

Changing Squat technique

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
I'd walk in front of all his lifts whenever possible. There's a dirty guy in my gym that always does calf raises when I'm squatting and walks under the weights to get his... I dumped into the hole the other day with just 135 on it and smashed him in the shoulder to teach him a lesson. He's done it with 5+ on my back - no Bueno.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Also...the walk outs to me are almost as amazing as the squat itself! I get weight on me that feels heavy and I'm like oh....shit I'm only taking one step back with this! You walk it out...squat... then bring it back!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I have to agree with PoB... try it and see if it gets you further then your current technique.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I think I agree with your coach. It looked to me as though you hardly engaged your hammies and glutes. Though I bet you won't have to widen your stance by much to do that. My best stance is toes out and heels around shoulder width or so. Once I started engaging my hammies and glutes my squats got a lot better. Another thing that makes a huge difference is to stick my but far back as I go down. The further back I stick my but the lower and stronger my squat.

Last edited:
porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Your squats are backwards! In the front squat it's just fine to drop the hips straight and put the weight in the quads, but you actually sit back a little more doing a front squat than a regular squat. ( at least from what I can see in these two videos)... your first squat video was ALL quads.

Wider MAY be the solution, but to me it just looked like you're hunched over in the upper back and way forward throughout the lift. While you definitely don't want a huge lumbar curve you want your T spine tight and up, not relaxed and down. Just doing that should let you get back in to your hips more regardless of stance.

Regardless of how you fix the issue let me just give you something to think about.... sometimes you can make great progress doing things a certain way but will eventually hit a ceiling and have to take a step back to get past that point...... I had earned 4 Pro totals training a certain way. Upper 2400s at 308 and SHW.... then I had 2 years where I stalled out. I only finished one meet in three and totaled barely 2400.... Dave Hoff and I met through a friend and he invited me to come out to Westside to train. I thanked him but blew it off because I'd gotten so far my way. After the next crappy meet Dave text me again telling me that he could help..... then again after a total crap performance at the Arnold he told me that I needed to come out and relearn how to lift correctly. Go back to being an 800lb squatter instead of a 1000lb squatter but do it right so the potential would be higher...... I finally listened and made a few trips out to train and just missed 2600 in my next meet by a very close call on my 3rd bench ( still finishing with an upper 2500 lb total) and I owe it entirely to Dave teaching me a few bits of how Westside trains ..... sometimes you need to take a step back to take two steps forward.

MARTY313

MARTY313

VIP Member
Dec 21, 2012
Porky is right. I did what we called a body builder squat for a while. Narrow stance. Opened that up a little and pointed my feet out more and in the long run my squats got more explosive.

I had to drop weight some but it built back up pretty quick.

T

ToolSteel

Mar 1, 2016
I completely understand the hesitation in changing your form, I was the same way. But by correcting my form under pob's guidance I put nearly 200# on my squat in just a few months. And I've STILL got a long ways to go.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic