Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon

Changing Squat technique

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
My new coach wants me to widen my stance. He also feels I'm using mostly quads on my squat
and that I need to activate my glutes/hammies more. I'm not sure how I feel about the wider stance
as I feel my narrow stance delivers the most power. My glutes are huge and I've also felt my hammies
are pretty well activated throughout the lift.

Do I just trust my coach and go with it? Currently training conjugate style.
Recent PR with my usual stance for ref. How does my hammie/glute activation appear in the video compared to my quads?

Last edited by a moderator:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Well you are already not trusting your coach by asking.

So i would suggest you try it and see what happens. A wiDer squat is not always better.

And it's tough to actually "see" glute ham activation. But to say it's mostly quad is inaccurate. How else do you get your hips into extension?

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
IF that fourth rubber was actually a 45, there was only 435 on the bar (bar+(8)45lb plates+2 tens+2 fives=435lbs).

But my ex-wife did Crossfit a lot, unfortunately, and that 4th plate looked very much like a 15lb plate and the 3rd plate looked very much like a 25 so what were you actually squatting in this video (365lbs) and how can we determine squat stance and variation thereof if we only see from the side?

I really do hope I'm missing something here.

Last edited:
C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
IF that fourth rubber was actually a 45, there was only 435 on the bar (bar+(8)45lb plates+2 tens+2 fives=435lbs).

But my ex-wife did Crossfit a lot, unfortunately, and that 4th plate looked very much like a 15lb plate and the 3rd plate looked very much like a 25 so what were you actually squatting in this video (365lbs) and how can we determine squat stance and variation thereof if we only see from the side?

I really do hope I'm missing something here.

lol bro..it's 470. I have a 455lb and 460lb vid posted as well. Two 45lb bumpers, two 45lb irons, one 25lb bumper, one 5lb, one 2.5lb.

Last edited:
C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Well you are already not trusting your coach by asking.

So i would suggest you try it and see what happens. A wiDer squat is not always better.

And it's tough to actually "see" glute ham activation. But to say it's mostly quad is inaccurate. How else do you get your hips into extension?

I'll definitely try it's just hard to when I've been on such a good run with my current technique. Really wanted to hit that 500lb mark before screwing with things.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
here's 380lb front squat. My feet are wider on the front. They are in the same position I catch my cleans.
Backsquat my feet are probably just outside of hips. The same position you would be in if you were doing
a max vertical or a max broad jump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimbo999

Jimbo999

Apr 22, 2014
That dude who wanders into the front of you would really piss me off

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Holy shit! Nice lift.
And I immediately started on about "what the fuxk is the big ear guy doing?!"