Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Certifications Anyone?

BLTC

BLTC

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2010
Yes. I currently work in IT. Actually my entire career has been in IT. I have all the experience (20+), just don't have the initials behind my name lol.
So while the PMP is not specific to any area, it is applicable to all areas, hence the name.

got any advice for someone trying to break in? I've been doing wireless telco support for nearly 20 years.....

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
got any advice for someone trying to break in? I've been doing wireless telco support for nearly 20 years.....

@BLTC Really? Then you are in a great position to step on in. Perhaps get engaged on a tech project for an upgrade/change or integration project.
Data analysis is really big right now too. Do you like analytics?
Helping out on projects or ask to be assigned to a project. If you like coding or into any coding/development at all, you can definitely start there.

BLTC

BLTC

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2010
@BLTC Really? Then you are in a great position to step on in. Perhaps get engaged on a tech project for an upgrade/change or integration project.
Data analysis is really big right now too. Do you like analytics?
Helping out on projects or ask to be assigned to a project. If you like coding or into any coding/development at all, you can definitely start there.

15.5 years of supporting the a 3G network, then another 2 years doing 4G-LTE support, then 6 months of system test before getting laid off last year. I'm back to work now making substantially less than before I was laid off. One of my old managers called me back to manage a small initiative in the IT space. It's not much but I'm hoping to be able to spin that into something that'll get me back to my old salary in a 3-5 years. I was thinking in the time being it might not be a bad thing to get a CAPM cert from PMI..it's the associate level to the PMP and a good stepping stone for the PMP.

Data analytics are cool. I actually like ID'ing and extrapolating trends from raw data and turning that into a visual representation. It's something new to me but there seems to be a demand for people with Tableau and SQL skills. I guess Im just trying to see what direction my new job will take me so I can use the experience and tailor my training to enhance the experience I get.

I really could use a mentor....,know of anyone who might be interested???

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
15.5 years of supporting the a 3G network, then another 2 years doing 4G-LTE support, then 6 months of system test before getting laid off last year. I'm back to work now making substantially less than before I was laid off. One of my old managers called me back to manage a small initiative in the IT space. It's not much but I'm hoping to be able to spin that into something that'll get me back to my old salary in a 3-5 years. I was thinking in the time being it might not be a bad thing to get a CAPM cert from PMI..it's the associate level to the PMP and a good stepping stone for the PMP.

Data analytics are cool. I actually like ID'ing and extrapolating trends from raw data and turning that into a visual representation. It's something new to me but there seems to be a demand for people with Tableau and SQL skills. I guess Im just trying to see what direction my new job will take me so I can use the experience and tailor my training to enhance the experience I get.

I really could use a mentor....,know of anyone who might be interested???

greek to me!! just make my shit work!!! lol glad someone can do it --- im a jack of all but I must say "sitting on my front porch in my so called "rocker" as LK would say has to be some kind of job..........what im good at is not good at this time in life.... and the new breed is so hard to train since they are all so "wise"
just beaware of an old soldier still alive in a profession of short lives

went to the pool yesterday and my girl said "look at all these young dumbass kids that think they are something--- i looked at her-- "i am the oldest here!!!"

her reply was awesome and of course i soaked it up like one of those PUNKS

"your also the only one with abs and when you climb out of the pool all the college girls get wet and snap their necks to watch you walk back to me"

that my friends is living your best life!!!

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
I was in the financial services field for over 30 yrs. I was constantly studying for licenses or certifications. There was 5 license exams, 3 were securities related. Endless re-certifications and designation related exams like Certified Financial Planner. Anyway, some people are good test takers and some are not. Fortunately I was a very good test taker getting mostly 90's+ on most exams, my boss was always saying I was over studying. The thing that makes taking tests so hard is the exams never match the practice exams or even the study material. The questions always have 2 answers that could be right. The key things to do to get ready is take the practice exams from start to end over and over until your getting consistent 90's+. When taking the exam pick the answer that's seems the most right at first, don't change your answers, and make sure your paying attention to answers that include never, always, etc etc.

BLTC

BLTC

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2010
The key things to do to get ready is take the practice exams from start to end over and over until your getting consistent 90's+. When taking the exam pick the answer that's seems the most right at first, don't change your answers, and make sure your paying attention to answers that include never, always, etc etc.

This is so true. I sometimes think it'd be faster to just to focus on the practice exams from the start instead of reading the book cover to cover first.

J

J2048b

MuscleHead
Jul 2, 2012
I have some business certs ill never use, got a higher degree a few yrs back and hate math, so im stuck turning wrenches, ive always been asked what id love to do and honestly still cant answer that q, ive taken so many inventory tests to see what id be good at and it used to be church stuff like ministry or a mechanic (which i hate) or I. T. , which changes so often and i cant retain shit.... So now i do mechanic stuff still for 20 some yrs but just cant break out of it ...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Stumpy

Stumpy

Olé, Olé, Olé VIP
Sep 29, 2010
Studying for AWS certified solutions architect, RHCSA & RHCE and pretty much anything else my boss can throw at me. Pretty sure he's trying to melt my brain. Only been working in IT since last September and I do pick things up pretty quick but there's sooooooo much to learn.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
I have some business certs ill never use, got a higher degree a few yrs back and hate math, so im stuck turning wrenches, ive always been asked what id love to do and honestly still cant answer that q, ive taken so many inventory tests to see what id be good at and it used to be church stuff like ministry or a mechanic (which i hate) or I. T. , which changes so often and i cant retain shit.... So now i do mechanic stuff still for 20 some yrs but just cant break out of it ...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I its few and far between of people who can truly say they love there job. they may love the hrs, pay, benefits, etc. but doubtful they jump outta bed in the morning and cant wait to get to work. a lot of self employed mechanics who own there shop and build a good reputation make well over 6 figures. the town I grew up in with a pop. of 10k has 3 such shops side by side on main st and they are all super busy. with the price of new cars these days, esp. trucks, there will be a never ending supply of fixing used cars.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic