What's New?

Cell phone security

• Thread starter The other Snake
  • Start Date
The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I'm lost with technology but wondered if there's more I should be doing to protect my cell phone privacy. About all I do is make sure it auto locks after 30 seconds and have a password incase I lost it. I'm sure it could be hacked by some 16 y.o. Also, I'm not running a meth lab or prosititution ring but I have little trust in our goverment snooping.

I'm not too sure if that Cloud backup is a good thing. Yeah good if you lost the cell phone or it shits the bed but you now how everything out there for the taking. Don't know if it matters but I use an Android. Hope that doesn't start an Iphone Android war here.

Any words of wisdom?

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I have mine with fingerprint lock.

When will you be starting with the hookers and blow? Enquiring customers may want to know

• Haha
Reactions: 5.0
I

Iron1

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2021
Security in regards to who?

Someone with physical access to the device or someone trying to get access remotely (call/text logs, geo data, etc)?

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Security in regards to who?

Someone with physical access to the device or someone trying to get access remotely (call/text logs, geo data, etc)?
Someone hacking my information. I don't save pass words on there with credit cards but still would be worried someone could get that info. There's just so much on our cell phones these days.

I

Iron1

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2021
Someone hacking my information. I don't save pass words on there with credit cards but still would be worried someone could get that info. There's just so much on our cell phones these days.

Some noteworthy items:
Disable your WIFI/Bluetooth antennae when you don't need it.
Don't connect to any public WiFi
Never plug your phone into a public charger
Disable your NFC transmitter if it's so equipped. (This is the part of your phone that makes "tap to pay" through your phone work)
Use an end to end encryption app for communication such as Signal. Don't send standard texts.
Disable all analytic and "user experience" options on your phone
Use a secure browser such as Brave and set it to forget everything every time you close the app
Disable the google voice assistant if you're not using it
Disable cloud storage
Put electrical tape over your camera(s) when not in use

Some of this is more paranoid than others but it's all aimed at increasing security. Just note that the more of this you start to disable, the more cumbersome the device is going to become. The less data the phone has stored internally, the safer you are but also the more of a pain in the ass it becomes as you'll need to re-enter information any time it's required instead of calling it up from storage.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Some noteworthy items:
Disable your WIFI/Bluetooth antennae when you don't need it. I do this
Don't connect to any public WiFi Good here. I can't get over when we went a cruise and people were asking for the nearest wi-fi in some other counrty.
Never plug your phone into a public charger Never thought of that
Disable your NFC transmitter if it's so equipped. (This is the part of your phone that makes "tap to pay" through your phone work) Need ot look into this
Use an end to end encryption app for communication such as Signal. Don't send standard texts. Guilty here. Going to look into this one
Disable all analytic and "user experience" options on your phone Need to do this
Use a secure browser such as Brave and set it to forget everything every time you close the app Will look into this
Disable the google voice assistant if you're not using it Check
Disable cloud storage Check
Put electrical tape over your camera(s) when not in use Hum..

Some of this is more paranoid than others but it's all aimed at increasing security. Just note that the more of this you start to disable, the more cumbersome the device is going to become. The less data the phone has stored internally, the safer you are but also the more of a pain in the ass it becomes as you'll need to re-enter information any time it's required instead of calling it up from storage.

Swiper

Swiper

VIP Member
Jan 8, 2011

I used to watch MacGyver when I was a little kid I remember he did this trick but it wasn’t on a phone obviously

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016

I used to watch MacGyver when I was a little kid I remember he did this trick but it wasn’t on a phone obviously
Great I feel so secure now knowing swiper found that with a 2 second Google search.

I

Iron1

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2021
Great I feel so secure now knowing swiper found that with a 2 second Google search.

You should see how easy it is for people to steal cars that have those keyless start options. Just walk up to the front door, record and duplicate the signal the key emits and the thief is then able to drive right off without sounding any alarms. Don't keep your keys near the front door.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic