What's New?

Cardiologist

• Thread starter The other Snake
  • Start Date
The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Had a follow up on my CT coronary angiogram. I received the results earlier so I had an idea of what we would be talking about. My big concern was that they gave a range of plaque build up in the one artery of 25-49%, big ass range there! Doc said, I was more in the 30% which to me was still concerning. He said you're probably in the 35% range and though no plaque is best, under 40% is considered normal. The widow maker artery was clean so that's good.

He wanted to start a low dose statin. He said with a LDL at 110, it's my call. He explained that 100 is typically the cut off but I do have a low HDL so I should think about it. I am getting BW done on Friday so I'm going to wait. I'm 10 weeks into using GHK-Cu and want to see if how my panel is now.

Here's a few things we talked about that get discussed a lot:

Elevated RBC's
He said it's probably from the TRT and doesn't care about a a few points over the range. He said the results of taking me off TRT would effect my overall health more than worrying about popping a 53 crit level

Weight Lifting
He backed up what I read about heavy resistance training being equal to and in some cases better for the heart than even cardio work.

Resting Pulse Rate
My PR has always been around 85. Doc said although there is some links to a lower PR and longevity, if it's always been that way there is no reason for concern.

Cholesterol
There's a reason the "Bad" is called bad. That's what accounts for the build up. HDL can help in reducing the build up of plaque. He explained that there's a harder outer layer of plaque and is not what he's concerned about . The softer under layer is what could cause a piece to break away, causing a clot and possibly causing a heart attack. Found that very interesting. I'd like some more feedback on this.

GHK-Cu
This is part of my guinea pig test. He said it's not part of standard medicine but asked if I would get back to him on my BW

Red Yeast Rice
Plenty of good data on this but since Big Pharma was not allowed to patent it, the studies stopped.

AAS
I asked if a 12-16 week cycle could effect my heart. He mentioned that some compounds increase cholesterol but over that short of a time, and with proper monitoring, he doesn't have an issue with a once a year cycle. Just keep the dosages reasonable. He said the LVH is found in a lot of moderate steroid uses but that is typical for almost all athletes. He also said my LVT is slight at best.

Tobacco Use
This surprised me since I chew. He said it's not an issue other than the chance of oral cancer. That smoking is the real problem.

So that was my visit. It's just one Dr. opinion but it's more than the Bro Science we get most places.

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
If it were me, personally I would look to diet and eliminate anything inflammatory. That seems to be a main factor in CAD. Check your inflammatory markers? Personally, I would avoid any statin unless my cholesterol were tipping pretty high or had a genetic issue. That's just me and my history in pharma and reading the literature back when the shit hit the fan and was quietly suppressed.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
If it were me, personally I would look to diet and eliminate anything inflammatory. That seems to be a main factor in CAD. Check your inflammatory markers? Personally, I would avoid any statin unless my cholesterol were tipping pretty high or had a genetic issue. That's just me and my history in pharma and reading the literature back when the shit hit the fan and was quietly suppressed.
Thanks brother! What inflammation markers would you recommend? I know my doctor does the C reactive protein but from what I've been told, that's more of an after the fact marker.

B

Bilter

VIP Member
Jun 7, 2011
You may want to read "The Great Cholesterol Myth, Revised and Expanded" By Jonny Bowden. Gives a lot of insight on what other factors we should be looking at in terms of CVD beyond LDL levels. The advice Glycomann gave is mentioned in the book. as well.

T

Trip

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Statins, doc wanted me on them forever, I did not like the stated sides, plus I saw my mom detriorate mentally when she went on

anyways, read the book on viox scandal, holy crap, shoulda put 10k folks in jail, so friggin criminal insane

anyways, my cholesterol high my whole adult life, finally cut out meat 5 years ago, not a vegan, still eat meat just not a daily staple, i use to eat a steak a day, anyways, dropped into normal within 6 months

as u know we all different

good luck

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Statins, doc wanted me on them forever, I did not like the stated sides, plus I saw my mom detriorate mentally when she went on

anyways, read the book on viox scandal, holy crap, shoulda put 10k folks in jail, so friggin criminal insane

anyways, my cholesterol high my whole adult life, finally cut out meat 5 years ago, not a vegan, still eat meat just not a daily staple, i use to eat a steak a day, anyways, dropped into normal within 6 months

good luck
That's great considering only 15% of cholesterol is said to be derived from our diet.

I am concerned about the sides but they say on a low dose, there are few if any. Still on the fence.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Had a follow up on my CT coronary angiogram. I received the results earlier so I had an idea of what we would be talking about. My big concern was that they gave a range of plaque build up in the one artery of 25-49%, big ass range there! Doc said, I was more in the 30% which to me was still concerning. He said you're probably in the 35% range and though no plaque is best, under 40% is considered normal. The widow maker artery was clean so that's good.

He wanted to start a low dose statin. He said with a LDL at 110, it's my call. He explained that 100 is typically the cut off but I do have a low HDL so I should think about it. I am getting BW done on Friday so I'm going to wait. I'm 10 weeks into using GHK-Cu and want to see if how my panel is now.

Here's a few things we talked about that get discussed a lot:

Elevated RBC's
He said it's probably from the TRT and doesn't care about a a few points over the range. He said the results of taking me off TRT would effect my overall health more than worrying about popping a 53 crit level

Weight Lifting
He backed up what I read about heavy resistance training being equal to and in some cases better for the heart than even cardio work.

Resting Pulse Rate
My PR has always been around 85. Doc said although there is some links to a lower PR and longevity, if it's always been that way there is no reason for concern.

Cholesterol
There's a reason the "Bad" is called bad. That's what accounts for the build up. HDL can help in reducing the build up of plaque. He explained that there's a harder outer layer of plaque and is not what he's concerned about . The softer under layer is what could cause a piece to break away, causing a clot and possibly causing a heart attack. Found that very interesting. I'd like some more feedback on this.

GHK-Cu
This is part of my guinea pig test. He said it's not part of standard medicine but asked if I would get back to him on my BW

Red Yeast Rice
Plenty of good data on this but since Big Pharma was not allowed to patent it, the studies stopped.

AAS
I asked if a 12-16 week cycle could effect my heart. He mentioned that some compounds increase cholesterol but over that short of a time, and with proper monitoring, he doesn't have an issue with a once a year cycle. Just keep the dosages reasonable. He said the LVH is found in a lot of moderate steroid uses but that is typical for almost all athletes. He also said my LVT is slight at best.

Tobacco Use
This surprised me since I chew. He said it's not an issue other than the chance of oral cancer. That smoking is the real problem.

So that was my visit. It's just one Dr. opinion but it's more than the Bro Science we get most places.
Sounds like a pretty level headed cardiologist.

Friggemall

Friggemall

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2020

good luck
Wasn't it you, Trip that posted an article years ago at WCBB about statins and mentioning that the doses were typically too high. While doctors would prescribe 10 to 20 mg ed of Crestor, studies showed that as low as 1 mg /ed was enough to lower it to put most people in acceptable ranges?

Friggemall

Friggemall

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2020
That's great considering only 15% of cholesterol is said to be derived from our diet.

I am concerned about the sides but they say on a low dose, there are few if any. Still on the fence.
If you decide to take one and start feeling like crap, take CoQ10 it helps with the pains and other symptoms from a statin. Did me anyway.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic