Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

cardio while lifting heavy?

SJA

SJA

MuscleHead
Feb 24, 2011
You have to pick and choice your goals I watch a lifter lady from our team in the past go from just about making Pro to stunning all her gains when she also joined crossfit and added more cardio.

I do it 3x a week on off day and days of training I may pull a tire or drag a sled but I'm not out to burn the muscle off my legs either.

Exactly......depends on goals and you can overdo it......AND may get injured if you do. We all handle it differently. HOwever, to answer the question, yes.....I always do SOME kind of cardio.......I just vary the intensity and frequency depending on my goal at the time.

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
One big misconception about cardio is that all cardio will reduce or be a detriment to muscle size. It's not really the case except for long bouts of low intensity cardio which also have been shown to change muscle fiber type to endurance type versus explosive. Here's a study on tabata style cardio. If you just want to pay attention to the bold part it's really all you need to. Not only does tabata style cardio increase aerobic capacity it increases anaerobic capacity as well. In the amount of time you could spend a day thinking about how you don't want to get on that treadmill for an hour, you could complete what essentially comes down to 4 minutes of exercise that is exponentially more effective than LISS.

Effects of moderate-intensity endurance and high-i... [Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1996] - PubMed result

This study consists of two training experiments using a mechanically braked cycle ergometer. First, the effect of 6 wk of moderate-intensity endurance training (intensity: 70% of maximal oxygen uptake (VO2max), 60 min.d-1, 5 d.wk-1) on the anaerobic capacity (the maximal accumulated oxygen deficit) and VO2max was evaluated. After the training, the anaerobic capacity did not increase significantly (P > 0.10), while VO2max increased from 53 +/- 5 ml.kg-1 min-1 to 58 +/- 3 ml.kg-1.min-1 (P < 0.01) (mean +/- SD). Second, to quantify the effect of high-intensity intermittent training on energy release, seven subjects performed an intermittent training exercise 5 d.wk-1 for 6 wk. The exhaustive intermittent training consisted of seven to eight sets of 20-s exercise at an intensity of about 170% of VO2max with a 10-s rest between each bout. After the training period, VO2max increased by 7 ml.kg-1.min-1, while the anaerobic capacity increased by 28%. In conclusion, this study showed that moderate-intensity aerobic training that improves the maximal aerobic power does not change anaerobic capacity and that adequate high-intensity intermittent training may improve both anaerobic and aerobic energy supplying systems significantly, probably through imposing intensive stimuli on both systems.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic