Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

cardio on an empty stomach

Stinky Tofu

Stinky Tofu

Aug 3, 2013
I still do this but I wonder if its doing more harm than good. Would it be more ideal to consume a greater portion of my day's carbs for breakfast and then do my cardio or just do it first thing with a cup of black coffee? Obviously the goal is muscle retention and fat loss, not just weight loss

Samson

Samson

MuscleHead
Dec 8, 2013
I still do this but I wonder if its doing more harm than good. Would it be more ideal to consume a greater portion of my day's carbs for breakfast and then do my cardio or just do it first thing with a cup of black coffee? Obviously the goal is muscle retention and fat loss, not just weight loss

I see no problem with am fasted cardio. The key is low and slow. Keep that heart rate down between 110-125 tops.

30 minutes or so done. Go eat.

Stinky Tofu

Stinky Tofu

Aug 3, 2013
I see no problem with am fasted cardio. The key is low and slow. Keep that heart rate down between 110-125 tops.

30 minutes or so done. Go eat.

all my cardio is intense. I bike and when I bike I gun it as hard as I can until I hit a street light and repeat. This is my commute in the morning and it varies between 15-40min. If I run, I do HIIT. I cant do light cardio, it bores the heck out of me.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Eat if you are hungry the difference at best would be negligible if even perceivable at all.

Samson

Samson

MuscleHead
Dec 8, 2013
all my cardio is intense. I bike and when I bike I gun it as hard as I can until I hit a street light and repeat. This is my commute in the morning and it varies between 15-40min. If I run, I do HIIT. I cant do light cardio, it bores the heck out of me.

Well then at least throw in some whey when you get up. The amino acids.

Last edited:
69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
Morning fasted cardio is where it's at. I think hiit is much better for this than low intensity sustained cardio.

Samson

Samson

MuscleHead
Dec 8, 2013
Morning fasted cardio is where it's at. I think hiit is much better for this than low intensity sustained cardio.

I suppose it depends on your goals. If your trying to hold as much muscle as possible then fasted am hiit I don't think is the wise choice. Pure fat burning and elevated metabolic rate for the day, hiit is good.

My opinion of course.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
I suppose it depends on your goals. If your trying to hold as much muscle as possible then fasted am hiit I don't think is the wise choice. Pure fat burning and elevated metabolic rate for the day, hiit is good.

My opinion of course.

This goes against what we know about the body's response to HIIT vs. steady-rate cardio. HIIT would always be the preferred choice for muscle preservation AND healthy fat loss. I mean, if it works for you, then by all means. I'm certainly no cardio expert, lol. But I've read the studies, and I've seen sprinters vs. marathoners.

Samson

Samson

MuscleHead
Dec 8, 2013
This goes against what we know about the body's response to HIIT vs. steady-rate cardio. HIIT would always be the preferred choice for muscle preservation AND healthy fat loss. I mean, if it works for you, then by all means. I'm certainly no cardio expert, lol. But I've read the studies, and I've seen sprinters vs. marathoners.

I don't disagree with your statement. It just seems "am fasted cardio" is where my concern is.

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
When trying to drop body fat, I prefer to do a.m. cardio on an empty stomach. Followed by a low carb protein shake right after, I think it's 6g of carbs to 60g of protein. Then no food or anything for another two hours. This seems to keep my metabolism going strong and body burning fat.

If I'm doing cardio during IF, its still in the am. I won't have the shake afterwards, but instead I'll take drink it about 40-60 minutes before cardio then continue about the fasting as normal.

Samson

Samson

MuscleHead
Dec 8, 2013
When trying to drop body fat, I prefer to do a.m. cardio on an empty stomach. Followed by a low carb protein shake right after, I think it's 6g of carbs to 60g of protein. Then no food or anything for another two hours. This seems to keep my metabolism going strong and body burning fat.

If I'm doing cardio during IF, its still in the am. I won't have the shake afterwards, but instead I'll take drink it about 40-60 minutes before cardio then continue about the fasting as normal.

Do you do hiit or low intensity or change it up based on day, time diet etc?

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
I dont get the time of day/fasted vs non-fasted...when I do cardio no matter when or full/empty stomach...I drop the fat

Only thing I would say is HIIT makes me drop it way faster

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic