Latest Member
Hautebusted
What's New?

Carbohydrates importance in muscle building

bigrobbie

bigrobbie

TID OG Member
Sep 19, 2010
Many diets geared toward bodybuilders and powerlifters stress how vital protein intake is. The fact that carbohydrates play just as important of a role is many times overlooked or ignored.​

The reason carbs are so clutch when it comes to a muscle building diet is, first and most important, carbs provide energy to your muscles (simple as that). The Carbohydrates that you eat are stored in your muscles and the liver. During training, your body coverts these stored carbohydrates into ATP molecules and use them as energy. Let's face it, simple or complex carbohydrates are a must to reach your maximum potential in the gym.​

Here is the rub. The proper carb intake can prevent pointless muscle loss. If you do not intake enough carbs and you hit the gym for an intense session and you burn up your stored carbs the body has to start looking for an energy source, and that source will be proteins. Here is the problem, the body cannot tell the difference between food protein (the protein you eat) and muscle tissue protein. It will burn what it needs to fuel you through your workout.

Most people are very concerned with insulin levels post workout. It is not a must to run out and buy some humulin-R and inject slin after a workout. We can bring on a spike in insulin simply by ingesting simple carbohydrates after your weight training workouts. Eating "clean" complex carbs is a must, but "simple" sugars or carbs are very important post workout, do this and you get a very nice raise in body produced insulin. I suggest either a weight gainer protein shake or just a non-diet soda or Power-aid will do the trick.

Carbs do not only fuel muscle fibers and cells. The central nervous system also uses carbohydrates as a source of fuel. During workouts, your nervous system is what actually tells your muscles fibers when, and and what intensity to contract. This is how one becomes overtrained...too much lifting will wear you down mentally. Proper carb intake keeps our CNS running properly by providing the correct amount of fuel to our muscles and this, in turn, prevents overtraining.

From what I've read and experinced 40 - 55% of you daily caloric intake should come from carbohydrates. The majority of which should be complex carbs. This is just a % I'm giving to help set you on the right track...just like anything we do in weight training each person should experiment and find out what is right for them.

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
good read thanks for posting

bigrobbie

bigrobbie

TID OG Member
Sep 19, 2010
Thanks guys...I worry with people trying to get "ripped" they tend skimp on carbs (even complex carbs) in an attempt to shed bf. Thats not how it's done...as I'm sure you all know!

AWARE72

AWARE72

MuscleHead
Oct 17, 2010
Thanks guys...I worry with people trying to get "ripped" they tend skimp on carbs (even complex carbs) in an attempt to shed bf. Thats not how it's done...as I'm sure you all know!

I understand the importance of carbs in restoring glycogen level in the body that you have enough fuel to train, however carbs do not build muscle. Protien builds muscle or should I say amino acids build muscle. There are studies out there that shows that your insulin sensitivity after train is great, and by consuming carbs pwo you blunt this sensitivty. Thus where come no carbs post work out. we speak of insulin. As little a 1iu of insulin post work out is enough to take your body out of a catabolic state and put you in a anabolic state, now feed your body protien and some fat and ride that window of insulin sensitivity for up to 36 hours. Then of course it is time to super compensate carbs in your diet to ensure you have enought energy for training again...then repeat...JMO here based on some reading I have not and my own experience following this type of diet protocol...so there is balance and to say you need

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
I understand the importance of carbs in restoring glycogen level in the body that you have enough fuel to train, however carbs do not build muscle. Protien builds muscle or should I say amino acids build muscle. There are studies out there that shows that your insulin sensitivity after train is great, and by consuming carbs pwo you blunt this sensitivty. Thus where come no carbs post work out. we speak of insulin. As little a 1iu of insulin post work out is enough to take your body out of a catabolic state and put you in a anabolic state, now feed your body protien and some fat and ride that window of insulin sensitivity for up to 36 hours. Then of course it is time to super compensate carbs in your diet to ensure you have enought energy for training again...then repeat...JMO here based on some reading I have not and my own experience following this type of diet protocol...so there is balance and to say you need

I am aware of this way thinking but while it may approve effective for fat loss I am less than convinced of it's effectiveness for hypertrophy. I have never witnessed any studies or even pics displaying large mass gains using this method. So, for know I will stick to old school carbs myself.

Hawk

AWARE72

AWARE72

MuscleHead
Oct 17, 2010
I am aware of this way thinking but while it may approve effective for fat loss I am less than convinced of it's effectiveness for hypertrophy. I have never witnessed any studies or even pics displaying large mass gains using this method. So, for know I will stick to old school carbs myself.

Hawk

wow I was writing this earlier and my screen went blank I check and it did seem to post so I dedcide not to rewrite...I did not finish my though here...but you got the jist of what I was thinking...lol, you might be right and I will soon find out as I attempt to use this protocol as I switch my focus towards gain muscle and away from fat loss. I guess I'm curoius to see for myself and maybe it might not be effective...I'm not sure, however were gonna give it a go and see what happens...

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
wow I was writing this earlier and my screen went blank I check and it did seem to post so I dedcide not to rewrite...I did not finish my though here...but you got the jist of what I was thinking...lol, you might be right and I will soon find out as I attempt to use this protocol as I switch my focus towards gain muscle and away from fat loss. I guess I'm curoius to see for myself and maybe it might not be effective...I'm not sure, however were gonna give it a go and see what happens...

First..that sucks.
Second, I will be interested in your progress as I guy from the boards I know who is well educated on peps and helps me used the CarblessPWo protocol with great results for fat loss, however so much of the info keeps getting modified and changed. Also, few of the followers are bbers or seeking to get huge. Also, is the continued rate of PRO synthesis more effective than say the anabolic effective of 6iu's of slin or glucophage which can not be used w/out cardbs? I dunno and dare not ask...atleast over there. LOL

Hawk

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
For those of you who are concerned about carbs during a cut, 10g glutamine ingested with water post workout will spike insulin levels to the equivalent of 35g simple sugar. Lil pointer....it takes pharm grade aminos 60min to enter the blood after ingestion and whey hydrolysate 80min post ingestion. So.....you need to plan your insulin spike to occur when aminos are actually IN your blood stream. My 2c

AWARE72

AWARE72

MuscleHead
Oct 17, 2010
First..that sucks.
Second, I will be interested in your progress as I guy from the boards I know who is well educated on peps and helps me used the CarblessPWo protocol with great results for fat loss, however so much of the info keeps getting modified and changed. Also, few of the followers are bbers or seeking to get huge. Also, is the continued rate of PRO synthesis more effective than say the anabolic effective of 6iu's of slin or glucophage which can not be used w/out cardbs? I dunno and dare not ask...atleast over there. LOL

Hawk

I do have log going on over there.. I got to get some progress picture up, my plan is to after I do my fasted cardio, while still carbless to dose slin E5H while carbless which will be twice more so that would be 3 dose of slin, at 2.5iu for me for a total of 7.5iu during a 36hours carbless peroid, I dropping my cardio down to 3 days from 4 and adding in 300-400 calories...I'm not trying to become a mass monster, however I think I might me able add on 1-2lb of lm a week over them next 8 weeks, and keep my bf in line...we will see if I can do that I'll be at about 240 at 6'4"..As it was pointed out to me the other day I'm already very close to the golden ratio 55" shoulder, 35" waist... 1.57 or something like that. It just seem that the whole carbless thing is very verstile...

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
I do have log going on over there.. I got to get some progress picture up, my plan is to after I do my fasted cardio, while still carbless to dose slin E5H while carbless which will be twice more so that would be 3 dose of slin, at 2.5iu for me for a total of 7.5iu during a 36hours carbless peroid, I dropping my cardio down to 3 days from 4 and adding in 300-400 calories...I'm not trying to become a mass monster, however I think I might me able add on 1-2lb of lm a week over them next 8 weeks, and keep my bf in line...we will see if I can do that I'll be at about 240 at 6'4"..As it was pointed out to me the other day I'm already very close to the golden ratio 55" shoulder, 35" waist... 1.57 or something like that. It just seem that the whole carbless thing is very verstile...

Sounds like it has worked well for you as it has for most who commit to it. But as you reiterated, no one using it is trying to get huge, rather the theme is to look aesthetically pleasing...mythic if you will. However, I am interested in using these peps to get huge, but mention excess calories to CHOless PW hard liners and them theres fightin words LOL. I will say I am grateful for their giant brains and sharing it all with a dummy like me as I have benefited from their knowledge.

Btw you should get some pics up.
Hawk

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic