Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Carb cycling

khulk

khulk

TID Lady Member
Nov 9, 2011
Read a couple of things about carb cycling. Carbs only on weight training days, no carbs or very little on cardio days?

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
so much of this depends on what your overall goals are. im not a competitor so i have never done any severe thing with my diet. i try to keep a pretty consistent 40/40/20 ratio with my macros and just drop my total calorie numbers. (not that it happens all the time but that is the goal) i have recently ventured into powerlifting training and can say that i need to increase my carbs on training days as i havent had the energy i need for training. starting next week when i get back im going to increase my complex carbs for my first meal and then place a high protein meal about an hour before my workout. after my workout, i will cut back on what i am usually consume. this way i can use my calories for training be keep my total calories low enough to keep from getting too fluffy!

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
Khulk, the premise is a number of days on a low carb system followed by a number of days on a high carb system.
So say 5 days low followed by 2 days of high carb, then repeat.
Sets the body up hormonally and takes advantage of improved insulin sensitivity.
I have known people who did 4 low 3 high as well, but I found my best results on 5 low 2 high.

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
Khulk, the premise is a number of days on a low carb system followed by a number of days on a high carb system.
Sets the body up hormonally and takes advantage of improved insulin sensitivity.
I have known people who did 4 low 3 high as well, but I found my best results on 5 low 2 high.

That's good information right there. if more people understood carb intake control and insulin sensitivity there would be less fat asses sucking up the air supply.

ritch

ritch

MuscleHead
Dec 4, 2011

that pretty much sums it up. But I think you could get good results with what you first said. I recently did something similar and it worked very well.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010

AJ, I agree with this. On my 5 low days, I don't drop carbs to zero, I just eliminate the simple carbs and limit myself to green veggies and the like. I find that by the weekend, my glycogen stores are pretty much depleted and whatever I eat over the weekend just goes to replenish glycogen and my body stays in a fat loss mode. Works very well.

If you keep your calories and fat pretty high, your energy levels don't completely tank.

elizabethwhite

elizabethwhite

TID Lady Member
Dec 18, 2011
I think carb cycling def. helps when dropping body fat(and gaining).. I have done that going into many competitions. It's easy to tell if you drop to low for to long, muscles look"flat", getting a good pump is hard, energy drops. That's when a hIGH carb day is needed..and then back to low. Stay with clean carbs,veg. no sugar .(unless gaining-sugar helps). I purposely plan the higher carb days for leg and chest day. When I am in diet mode to drop fat, I go from 125 carbs to 50. A lot does depend on the ind. how active you are, how fast/slow metabolism is...For me , may start 125, 75, 75 50 50 50 125..change as i progress.

elizabethwhite

elizabethwhite

TID Lady Member
Dec 18, 2011
Also, to add to the previous post,I increase protein and healthy fats on low carb days.

lymbo

lymbo

TID Lady Member
Dec 21, 2011
since you're discussing carb's you should check out "Arrow Root powder" it has amazing benefits, a very fast acting carb that breaks down instantly...Happy muscle cells are carbo-loaded!
You can buy it at the grocery store cheap...I add it to my post protein shake and make all my carb snacks and power bars with it..

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic