Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Cancerous/Malignant Cells in Urine Cytology

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012
what's up fellaz....

went for the usually check up. Age 48, and I asked to have the Prostate checked because of the age and family history. Labs, CT scan and Cystoscopy all can back Good.....but then the urine showed some malignant cells. so they repeated it a second time with the same result. No symptoms of anything adverse.

So now my urologist wants to go back in, but this time putting me under and using contrast to probe further checking the ureters and other smaller areas. he believes this may be the early stages, but when I asked what kind of malignant cells is it...he has no answer. My question was are they from the bladder or another body part. As some know, I can have malignant lung cells in the bladder (just throwing out an example), which implies that the cancer may have started in the lungs.

But my thing is I would rather deal with an oncologist that specialize with tumors in this area.......it seems I would be better served.

Let me know if anyone else has experienced this or have any knowledge here.

Last edited:
Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
I'm in a similar boat. Occult blood in urine for months with no Kidney Stones and no symptoms. Cystoscopy scheduled for 1st week in Aug. I had "mutated" cells in Urine. Not termed malignant but unsettling nonetheless. Did they see any polyps or abnormal tissues in bladder. Most of my docs all seem to think its early Bladder CA. It's unlikely that intact cells could make it into your urine from another malignancy site. Please keep us posted on what the CT with Contrast shows brother.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
...any family history of Bladder or other Cancers? My dad had a few benign bladder polyps removed in his mid 30s (I'm 44)

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
I had a polyp once south of the bladder, down in the damn urethra. It had been producing blood in urine for a month or so while I was in denial. Removed in OR under general anesthesia but light enough I was an outpatient. Followup visit with doc saying "no cancer," so I am happily assuming that means they sent it off to the lab. This was about 10 yrs ago, not a hint of blood since. I have had no other procedures since, get the urinalysis with my private labs each time, nothing notable there.

Not saying either of you should not pursue this 100% but would benign polyps also throw off "mutated cells?"

And, my uninformed instincts like the Oncologist idea too. Would be interested in Mike's take on that, or any other medical pros who are here.

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012
I'm in a similar boat. Occult blood in urine for months with no Kidney Stones and no symptoms. Cystoscopy scheduled for 1st week in Aug. I had "mutated" cells in Urine. Not termed malignant but unsettling nonetheless. Did they see any polyps or abnormal tissues in bladder. Most of my docs all seem to think its early Bladder CA. It's unlikely that intact cells could make it into your urine from another malignancy site. Please keep us posted on what the CT with Contrast shows brother.

thanks for the replies fellaz

Cystoscopy was 2wks ago. all looked normal. no polyps nor abnormal tissues noted, but the Urologist did say , while I am under that he will take biopsies...and look at the ureters.

my dad had kidney Ca and my Grandfather Colon Ca both in their 60's.

I am hoping to speak with the Oncologist as well.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Sorry to hear that. I hope it can be taken care of relatively quickly and easily.

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012

why wait until Aug 1st for Cystoscopy ?

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
why wait until Aug 1st for Cystoscopy ?
1st apt I could get with the Urologist I wanted to see. Too many old dudes in my area lol!

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
Good luck with that man. Prayers sent. This is why we have to keep a close look at our bodies. I really hope all goes well for you brother.

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012
This Wednesday:

Cystoscopy bilateral retrograde pyelograms with possible TURBT

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012
change of events.....my PCP did not like the fact that it is more than 1 month and still the Urologist has not pinpointed where the cells are coming from.

So he asked that I change to a different Urologist...which I have. The procedure is now scheduled for Thursday. This new MD seems more thorough. He discussed each diagnostic exam with me.....he has a different approach. the first wanted to use dye/contrast to identify any malignant cells/tumors and remove as needed (TURBT)

the new Urologist wants to do a biopsy of bladder tissue...scrap deeper down to the muscle to see if there is muscle involvement. why.....because he believes based on the CT scan, the lymph nodes are not enlarged nor involved, which he believes the cells may be contained in the bladder. If there is only bladder tissue involvement, he can treat.....if muscle involvement, an Oncologist is required for treatment.

whats really funny is that both asked if I was a smoker, which I never have. secondly, they asked if I were around heavy smokers as a child. seems studies shows that second hand smoking exposure in early childhood years, increase chances of bladder cancer in adulthood.......not the same risk in second hand smoke exposure. during adulthood.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic