Members
Latest Member
lk has no balls
What's New?

Can protein help manage cholesterol?

G

gypsyann

Jun 27, 2013
Thank you for this information. I plan to check Bret Goodpaster's work out. Yesterday I received blood draw confirmation of gluten intolerance and should have been diagnosed in my early 20s (now in my 50s) well, I've always worked out, lifted, ate smartly (sometimes not, I'll be honest), medical issues compounded over the years. It runs in families; Mom died Aug. 24, 2012 from contributing factors kidney failure she was 88; she was never diagnosed, I researched and connected the dots. In all fairness, back in the day, they didn't even consider celiac disease, gluten intolerance, etc., could be a bonafide medical concern. Her death changed my life on so many levels. I came to this site today looking for answers to transdermal vitamin delivery systems and you all have been very helpful. You all are geniuses! Bodybuilders have always been in-tune with their bodies, research, exercise modalities, etc. God bless and thanks for being here and sharing your knowledge and expertise.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Thank you for this information. I plan to check Bret Goodpaster's work out. Yesterday I received blood draw confirmation of gluten intolerance and should have been diagnosed in my early 20s (now in my 50s) well, I've always worked out, lifted, ate smartly (sometimes not, I'll be honest), medical issues compounded over the years. It runs in families; Mom died Aug. 24, 2012 from contributing factors kidney failure she was 88; she was never diagnosed, I researched and connected the dots. In all fairness, back in the day, they didn't even consider celiac disease, gluten intolerance, etc., could be a bonafide medical concern. Her death changed my life on so many levels. I came to this site today looking for answers to transdermal vitamin delivery systems and you all have been very helpful. You all are geniuses! Bodybuilders have always been in-tune with their bodies, research, exercise modalities, etc. God bless and thanks for being here and sharing your knowledge and expertise.
I appreciate that, truly.

That has to be the best first post I have read in a long while MF.

IronicMasster

IronicMasster

Apr 29, 2013
I wanted to get this up in case anyone will be having tests done soon. I plan on getting my Doc to do the VAP test. Anyway, here is some info to help you decide if a basic Lipid panel is good enough:

Advanced VAP Cardio/Cholesterol Test

What is the VAP Cholesterol Test? A comprehensive lipoprotein analysis to improve patient diagnosis and treatment. The VAP cholesterol test provides a more comprehensive coronary heart disease (CHD) risk assessment than the conventional lipoprotein profile.

Unlike the conventional lipoprotein profile, the VAP cholesterol test measures all primary and secondary targets of therapy and the new emerging lipid risk factors identified by the NCEP ATP III* guidelines. Direct measurements, not estimations, are provided for total cholesterol, LDL, HDL, VLDL, and cholesterol subclasses.

A better, more efficient cholesterol test for patients at risk for coronary heart disease In a single test profile additional lipoprotein information is provided to assist physicians expand risk stratification for CHD and to develop patient-specific treatment initiatives. Lipoprotein response to treatment can vary; the additional information provided by the VAP cholesterol test, when medically indicated, can be helpful in selecting the most appropriate therapy, including choice of drugs and the intensity of risk-reduction therapy.

Meeting NCEP Guidelines by Identifying Primary and Secondary Targets of Therapy The VAP cholesterol test includes all serum lipids that define the targets of therapy recommended by ATP III: LDL cholesterol-Primary Target HDL cholesterol Total VLDL cholesterol Triglycerides Secondary Targets Non-HDL cholesterol-If triglycerides > 200 mg/dL Metabolic syndrome-triglycerides > 150 mg/dL and HDL cholesterol <40 mg/dL in men or <50 mg/dL in women.

More than a conventional lipoprotein profile - emerging risk factors measured: To enhance assessment of coronary heart disease risk, the VAP cholesterol test provides additional information measuring other lipids identified as emerging risk factors by ATP III. Lipoprotein(a) cholesterol Remnant lipoproteins Intermediate-density lipoprotein (IDL) cholesterol VLDL3 (small dense) cholesterol VLDL1+2 (large buoyant) cholesterol LDL particle density pattern (small dense vs large buoyant) Metabolic Syndrome Measurement of lipid components associated with the metabolic syndrome.

The ATP III emphasized the significant CHD risk associated with metabolic syndrome by designating it as a secondary target of risk-reduction therapy. (Metabolic syndrome is associated with greatly increased risk for type 2 diabetes and CHD.) The VAP profile identifies the lipid factors associated with metabolic syndrome-elevated triglycerides, low HDL-C, and increased levels of small dense LDL particles. Each VAP test is monitored for probable metabolic syndrome and flagged when indicated.

NMR Lipoprofile

What is the NMR LipoProfile test?
The NMR LipoProfile test is an advanced cardiovascular diagnostic test that uses nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy to uniquely provide rapid, simultaneous and direct measurement of LDL particle number and size of LDL particles, as well as direct measurement of HDL and VLDL subclasses. This detailed lipoprotein particle information allows clinicians to make more effective individualized treatment decisions than previously possible based on standard lipid panel testing. The atherosclerotic culprit is LDL particle number, not LDL cholesterol.

Why should I use the NMR LipoProfile test?
You should use the NMR LipoProfile test in appropriate patients because it provides a more accurate picture of a patient’s cardiovascular (CVD) risk than the standard lipid panel.

Unlike traditional cholesterol tests or lipid panels, the NMR LipoProfile test uses NMR spectroscopy to measure the actual number of atherogenic LDL particles that build up in the arteries and cause heart disease. Physicians have traditionally estimated the number of particles by measuring the cholesterol they contain - known as LDL cholesterol (or LDL-C).

Patients with a high number of LDL particles (LDL-P) are at increased risk for heart disease, even if they have "normal" cholesterol levels. By knowing how many of these particles are circulating in the blood, a physician can get a more accurate picture of a patient's heart health and, therefore make better patient care decisions.

This test measures size and volume of the particles that carry cholesterol. The higher the number, the
higher the patient is at risk for atheroschlorosis. 50% of patients with normal cholesterol still have heart events and this test is a direct measurement of cholesterol.

If paying out of pocket the VAP test is going to cost you around $130 and the NMR LipoProfile test will cost around the same.

-IM

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic