Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Can protein help manage cholesterol?

IronicMasster

IronicMasster

Apr 29, 2013
This is of particular interest to me in what I believe is in the same boat ie Triglycerides. I am in agreement with the numbers being mostly B$. The Pharm industry needs a little extra $$ well, just change the # for Cholesterol acceptable levels and BANG more cash 8/

My interest is in the effect of protein / other substances ( a Thanks to MF for the Fish Oil info ) on Triglycerides. My Tri's were at 759. Which is so high that they can't actually get an LDL reading because of them. Once on the Fishoil ( Pharm version called Lovaza ) they dropped to 311!! I figure this is awesome and never questioned what or how the fish oil might have other negative effects. Sure enough after reading MF and others discussion here on Flax Seed vs Fish oil, I poke around and find some people have nerve/muscle/joint problems from Lovaza! I am not 100% positive but, I have stopped the Lovaza -ethyl ester- and switched to Nordic Naturals Fish Oil ( suggested by MF ) which also has the naturally occurring Triglyceride ester. My nerve and muscle pains seems to have subsided! Giving it a month before I have my levels checked again. My Cholesterol is decent only problem is it is mostly bad Cholesterol. I also agree that the carbs / simple sugars are a huge part of both Cholesterol and Triglycerides.

Just weighing in on the what I consider profiteering from the Pharm companies. Seems to me there are certain Meds that the Docs ( at least in the US ) just throw at you if the numbers from even one blood test show that they can give you a script for it. Also, I have witnessed first hand the smoozing that the Pharm sales reps give the Docs. It isn't ca$h but, lunch / dinner / golf etc. Also, if y'all don't mind a small rant here " How can it be legal to advertise Medicines?!?!?" US and New Zealand are the only two countries where direct to consumer (DTC) advertising of prescription drugs is legal!! OK rant off LOL

-IM

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
Hey guys, so I'm huge believer in omega 3 supplementation when peoperly calibrated with its counterparts; with the realization it does have limitations as noted by an MF. If you would like to discuss other limitations of fish oil, in addition to nerve pain please let me know.

I'm not quite sure if you guys have looked into cherry juice, but here is a rocking article:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23075558/?i=5&from=/16531187/related

I don't like the juice, due to its high carbs during the prep, but am rocking the caps. I'm sure if it's a placebo effect, but on days I don't take them I do feel like shit.

IronicMasster

IronicMasster

Apr 29, 2013
TA I totally agree with the calibration comment!! I actually found a med article ( can't find it right now ) that mentions if you take a lot of DHA you should also add some GLA to your supplementation because DHA depletes it. So, I have added Nordic's GLA. I have to say it could be placebo also but, I am feeling much much better after just a week of switching to the Triglyceride version of the Fish Oil MF mentions!! A huge TY to MF for that one!!

As yet another side note . . . GLA tastes awful. Tastes like you chewed on a handful of grass! It also is extremely slippery oil! I am fairly certain that if you had really bad chapped lips and put just a couple drops of GLA on them they would be better by the end of the day. Of course you may be miserable from the taste!!!

-IM

Last edited:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Also great to get a Veap cholesterol check, it showed mine, even high, all cholesterol was buoyant and fluffy and not dense and sticky which causes plaque ect...
I remember coming across this a while back and thought it looked great, definately puts all of your lipid profile into context and you can get a better understanding of risk factors, what course of action to take etc etc. It's been around for a number of years now so I'm surprised more people aren't overly aware of it.

This pdf explains it well, and I'm pretty sure there is a Wiki page on it as well:

http://www.medfusion.net/templates/groups/7241/12677/VAP.pdf

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I have to say it could be placebo also but, I am feeling much much better after just a week of switching to the Triglyceride version of the Fish Oil MF mentions!! A huge TY to MF for that one!!
That's really good to hear IM.

Definately in terms of omega 3 you want to be going with the triglyceride version rather than the ester form, it has a significantly better absorption and bioavailability. Good to here it's working well for you, I bet if you were also having your blood work regularly checked all of your CV biomarkers, plasma lipids etc etc would also improve.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I have to say it could be placebo also but, I am feeling much much better after just a week of switching to the Triglyceride version of the Fish Oil MF mentions!! A huge TY to MF for that one!!
That's really good to hear IM.

Definately in terms of omega 3 you want to be going with the triglyceride version rather than the ester form, it has a significantly better absorption and bioavailability. Good to here it's working well for you, I bet if you were also having your blood work regularly checked you would notice that other important factors such as your CV biomarkers, PUFA plasma levels, myocardial contractile function/regulation etc would also improve.

IronicMasster

IronicMasster

Apr 29, 2013
I will be having them checked MF in about a month of being on the Nordic Fish Oil & GLA. I can't remember where I had read it but, it supposedly takes about that long for you to see a constant effect on your lipid panel from the Fish Oil. Second week into them so just a little away :)

-IM

IronicMasster

IronicMasster

Apr 29, 2013
Excellent PDF, MF! I highly recommend everyone read it!

I will be seeing my GP before I get the new bloodwork and twist some arms to get the VAP! I am also looking forward to my GP's response to me changing my fish oil to the Nordic. Especially if it shows a large change for the better. ;)

-IM

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
Man do we need a lipids thread.
I'm away giving lectures for a few days; MF how do you feel about working together to pull bunch of articles and see what we can find?

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Man do we need a lipids thread.
I'm away giving lectures for a few days; MF how do you feel about working together to pull bunch of articles and see what we can find?
Sure, count me in ~ can you PM me details of what you have in mind?

Sounds good MF.

IronicMasster

IronicMasster

Apr 29, 2013
Sounds good to me! after my last post my interest was overly peaked and I must have searched for an hour or more. I should have saved the links to some of the studies. I'll start this evening ( I hope ) to retrace my steps and find some of the better links.

-IM

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
Hey there, I hope that you're well and training is kicking butt!
So I'm hoping that we can start a conversation on lipids and fat utilization/storage as this specifically pertains to exercise whether aerobic or anaerobic.

I have a few articles on this topic already, so I'll send them to you for your review. I think I can send them through this portal? If any problems I'll let you know.

Have a good night!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic