Latest Member
lk has no balls
What's New?

Can protein help manage cholesterol?

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I recently came across this study (which I believe is still being undertaken and not yet finished). There are some interesting findings arising from it already, I've highlighted the parts I thought had the biggest significance.

"Recent advances in dietary proteins and lipid metabolism."

Dalia El Khoury, G Harvey Anderson
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

PMID 23619369

Abstract

PURPOSE OF REVIEW:
There is growing interest in defining the dietary approaches for the management of lipid disorders. This review focuses on dietary proteins.

RECENT FINDINGS:
Increasing protein intake was coupled with improved lipid profiles in humans and animals. However, most studies increased the protein content by reducing that of fat or carbohydrate or both, making unclear the role of protein alone. Mechanisms of action differ with the sources of proteins, because of amino acid composition and bioactive peptides encrypted in their sequences. Soy protein was investigated the most, and many studies show that its consumption reduces blood cholesterol. The role of other constituents including isoflavones is debated. Short-term studies are consistent in showing lipid-lowering properties of whey proteins, attributed to their relative high content in branched chain amino acids. A limited number of studies, the majority being on animals, have shown hypocholesterolemic activities of fish proteins.

SUMMARY:
Dietary proteins regulate lipid metabolism in a manner dependent on their quantity and composition. There is a general consensus that proteins slow lipid absorption and synthesis, and promote lipid excretion. The benefits of dietary proteins remain to be confirmed in individuals with lipid abnormalities, for formulation of optimal dietary alternatives for the management of lipid disturbances.

Sourced from:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23619369

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Why anyone cares about cholesterol is beyond me. It doesn't play the role in heart disease we all were duped into believing at one time.

Score one for big pharma with Lipitor.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Why anyone cares about cholesterol is beyond me. It doesn't play the role in heart disease we all were duped into believing at one time.

Score one for big pharma with Lipitor.
It's not so much the cholesterol that is the problem, that's completely necessary and we need it for numerous roles in the body including production of hormones. But it's when the cholesterol (promoted by the LDL) causes the plaque build up in the arteries we know as artherosclerosis, then it becomes a serious factor in heart disease.

If someone has high cholesterol but clear arteries technically there's no immediate problem, but it is often something that is decades in the making so it would be something to be aware of IMHO.

I agree with you about the Lipitor and other statins though, huge money-maker.

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
Cholesterol is a symptom not the cause. And true to big pharma, Lipitor treats the symptom only. It's why the small print says controlling cholesterol might not lower the risk of heart disease.

The study should have addressed carbs. I believe high carb consumption irritates the arterial walls this causing the body to respond with cholesterol to address the irritation.

Last edited:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Cholesterol is a symptom not the cause. And true to big pharma, Lipitor treats the symptom only. It's why the small print says controlling cholesterol might not lower the risk of heart disease.

The study should have addressed carbs. I believe high carb consumption irritates the arterial walls this causing the body to respond with cholesterol to address the irritation.
I agree, nice post as well. Thanks Prime.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011

Exactly right. The cholesterol heals the inflammation in the arteries which causes scar tissue. Also known as plaque. The notion that cholesterol caused heart disease was "evidence based." They would see people with heart attacks, see plaque, find cholesterol in the area and OMG IT MUST BE THE CHOLESTEROL!!! The rest was history.

Ancient Egyptians that ate significant grain and honey were dying of heart disease in their 30's.

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
Hey MF, For some reason my PMs are working; you should totally look into a researcher by the name of Bret Goodpaster out of the University of Pittsburgh; his work in lipids, proteins, mitochondrial energy utilization, and overall metabolic disorders is right up your alley. He has plenty of lectures on YouTube, articles on pub med or Google scholar, and is a crazy mountaineer With my friend Willl Cross – they have summitted Everest times two.

If you come across anything that you would like to discuss specifically please let me know; I think you'll find his work with mitochondrial energy utilization during aerobic exercise particularly useful.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Hey MF, For some reason my PMs are working; you should totally look into a researcher by the name of Bret Goodpaster out of the University of Pittsburgh; his work in lipids, proteins, mitochondrial energy utilization, and overall metabolic disorders is right up your alley. He has plenty of lectures on YouTube, articles on pub med or Google scholar, and is a crazy mountaineer With my friend Willl Cross – they have summitted Everest times two.

If you come across anything that you would like to discuss specifically please let me know; I think you'll find his work with mitochondrial energy utilization during aerobic exercise particularly useful.
Thanks for that, does sound right up my alley. I will follow that up for sure, chur chur MF.

J

J2048b

MuscleHead
Jul 2, 2012
Now i agree with what has been said about cholesterol, my big question is:

Why isnt sugar consumption associated with high cholesterol?
I know at one point in time my total was at 309!!! Ldl was pretty high, and i dieted according to how cashout diets and i dropped it to 239 within a few months and had little sugar or carb consumption....

Also great to get a Veap cholesterol check, it showed mine, even high, all cholesterol was buoyant and fluffy and not dense and sticky which causes plaque ect...

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Also great to get a Veap cholesterol check, it showed mine, even high, all cholesterol was buoyant and fluffy and not dense and sticky which causes plaque ect...
That's cool you got a test done that can highlight that, something which you would never know from a regular fasting lipids test.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012

I have a few spare hours this afternoon so I should be able to get online and see what I can find. I've actually just been reading some research papers by Associate Professor David Colquhoun who is a leading heart health expert and a cardiologist at University of Queensland School of Medicine. He seems pretty switched on and has some interesting views, but I haven't yet came across a lot of researchers who are linking protein intake directly to changes in cholesterol levels; that's something that obviously should be of interest and/or concern to BB'ers, strength athletes and I guess athletes in general.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic