What's New?

Can I train chest/tri the day after shoulders

RageBlanket

RageBlanket

Feb 13, 2013
M-deadlift w/back & leg accessory
W-bench w/shoulder & arm accessory
F-Squat w/leg & deadlift accessory
Sa-Shoulders w/chest & back accessory if necessary.

Some of you may recognize this (somewhat)...

flex001

flex001

May 15, 2013
Just recently I had switched around my workout, and I was having a little trouble with incline pressing. Then it occured to me, I had switched shoulders to the day before chest. I combined shoulders with chest, and honestly, both seemed to have benefitted. My incline press went up a little, and my shoulders get more rest and don't seem to be getting inflamed like they used to.

I ran into the same problem a few years ago with training shoulders on a different day. If you're doing a lot of incline press and fly exercises (I do), you might want to train them on the same day so you don't end up overtraining your shoulders. This is especially important if you're dieting and may not necessarily be consuming enough calories to support adequate recovery.

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
dont do it brother, revamp your training schedule and set it up to train your chest first, rageblanket is right on in terms of efficiency and i would choose a program very similar to the one he presented, but if you are going to stay with a split that involves training 5 or so days a week, give yourself a day in between a delt before chest regimen.

Gloves78

Gloves78

Mar 2, 2013
I really think legs should get their own day if your're doing 3 days a week. I prefer chest and upper back in one day, bi's tris and shoulders another, and legs and lower for. Try what you're doing, log it on the Journal Page, and we'll all watch you grow.

This wouldn't work though would it if I was training every day

M

MatthewC

MuscleHead
Dec 7, 2011
My five day a week (ED) is this; Sunday squats, calf raises (dont' count) hip sled, leg extensions. Monday deads, good morning, abs, lots of reps. Tues bb bench, db incline, pull ups, lat pull down, drag pulls and cable pulls, fly and reverse fly. Wednesday lat raises, heavy shrugs, front raises, two different grip shoulder presses. Thursday bi and tri (3 different excersies or each). If I got something going on, I combine the shoulders and arms into one day, or even hit the deads and squats in one day (I skip the accessories when this happens.). I prefer 4 days a week the most, but while cutting weight I'll hit the gym at least 5.....well I have this last cut.

M

MatthewC

MuscleHead
Dec 7, 2011
My five day a week (ED) is this; Sunday squats, calf raises (dont' count) hip sled, leg extensions. Monday deads, good morning, abs, lots of reps. Tues bb bench, db incline, pull ups, lat pull down, drag pulls and cable pulls, fly and reverse fly. Wednesday lat raises, heavy shrugs, front raises, two different grip shoulder presses. Thursday bi and tri (3 different excersies or each). If I got something going on, I combine the shoulders and arms into one day, or even hit the deads and squats in one day (I skip the accessories when this happens.). I prefer 4 days a week the most, but while cutting weight I'll hit the gym at least 5.....well I have this last cut.

This is just my personal workout, I'm sure if you looked at some other journals here you'll find different variations and excercises. I'd look at a lot of people journals for ideas to fit your schedule. All of these excercises are super setted with minimal rest better cycles. I go about 4 rounds (5 with warmup) and still keep it the gym time just under an hour.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You can work all three on the same day if you want. I don't get the designated day for each body part.

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
I do a ton of pressing so I like to space them a little. But I keep my shoulder workouts short because my shoulders grow massive compared to everything else so I go heavy, heavy, and short on shoulders.

D

Dropitpj

Jul 12, 2015
ideally you CAN lol IMO it isnt as optimal depending on what your goals are like.. for me if i want to keep building strength in my shoulders/bench i try and keep them at least a day or two apart. BUT if i do decide to hit delts after a bench day then i stick to more of a hypertrophy style of training.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic