Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Cals on Cycle question

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
I'm in my second week of a test e only cycle (400mg ew); this is my first cycle. My question is, how should I adjust my cal intake? My maintenance has always been around 3300 and I usually go +500 when on surplus (300-350g pro) That's what I've been doing for the past week. But when on cycle, should I up the cals even further? Will the test utilize the cals more efficiently, thus allowing me to increase them without too much fat gain? I'm 6'2" 210 ~10% bf.

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
I've never been on cycle so I can't give you first hand experience. But it does improve the rate of protein synthesis so boosting calories is something you might want to consider

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Wolf's mention of the increase in protein synthesis is accurate. I upped my cals SIGNIFICANTLY - from about 2,000 per day (was cutting) to about 4500-5000. The increase is mostly in protein intake. I am putting away dead animals in biblical proportions and I feel incredible. I'm not upping my carb intake much though. I am doing 3 low days (50 grams) three medium days (250) and one high day (500 PANCAAAAAAKESSSS!).

Common knowledge that you gotta eat big to get big so IMO I say starting ramming food down your throat bro! :)

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Wolf's mention of the increase in protein synthesis is accurate. I upped my cals SIGNIFICANTLY - from about 2,000 per day (was cutting) to about 4500-5000. The increase is mostly in protein intake. I am putting away dead animals in biblical proportions and I feel incredible. I'm not upping my carb intake much though. I am doing 3 low days (50 grams) three medium days (250) and one high day (500 PANCAAAAAAKESSSS!).

Common knowledge that you gotta eat big to get big so IMO I say starting ramming food down your throat bro! :)

2000 to 5000 is a pretty BIG jump! You did that all at once?

GreatGunz

GreatGunz

VIP
Jun 10, 2011
I have used the rule of 20 calories per pound of lean body weight,for bulking
And 15 for lean gain.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Bumping this thread for some additional opinions. Just completed third week and have been eating about +500 over M. This is what I would do if not on cycle and trying to gain. So far I've gained 9 pounds and kept my belt the same.

Any other opinions on whether one should add extra cals when on cycle, above a normal bulking surplus?

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Absolutely increase cals. To put it simply, you can handle MANY more calories without storing them as fat while on. I would say minimum 1k more, and if you keep that super clean, than you can pull off the illusive "clean bulk".

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Absolutely increase cals. To put it simply, you can handle MANY more calories without storing them as fat while on. I would say minimum 1k more, and if you keep that super clean, than you can pull off the illusive "clean bulk".
That's interesting. Most of the guys at another forum that I frequent (WCBB) say to not make an adjustment just for the gear.

Thanks for the feedback SAD.

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
depends on your goals bro. i hate saying shit like that but its true. i personally always bump the cals up on cycle at least 1000 like SAD said, and i try to ingest as much protein as possible. like Wolf said, the Test will increase the rate of protein synthesis so if bulking is what you're after then absolutely bump the cals. how clean those calories are depends on you and what you're aiming for an end result.
as far as increasing them, i was told long ago to just increase around 500 cals a week until i reach the desired amount. you dont wanna suddenly add 1000-1500 calories to your diet overnight...

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
2000 to 5000 is a pretty BIG jump! You did that all at once?

Sorry bro didn't notice this before... The calorie increase was gradual over the course of a week. But yeah they are way up. Way I look at it is fat loss is free, gear costs money. I want to get my money's worth. With the cycles we are on, it will pack on some beef for sure, but it may not be so pretty IMO.

I think so long as you are fat farming as Get Some calls it - that is eating buckets of ice cream and shit, you'll put on mass and stay relatively lean. But you gotta take advantage of the increased protein synthesis.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
So let me come at it from this way.... I'm eating at +500 right now. I'm already seeing gains after 3 weeks. If I up the cals a little more should I adjust my macros? I typically eat at 40p, 35c and 25f. Maybe 45p, 30c, 25f?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
So let me come at it from this way.... I'm eating at +500 right now. I'm already seeing gains after 3 weeks. If I up the cals a little more should I adjust my macros? I typically eat at 40p, 35c and 25f. Maybe 45p, 30c, 25f?

Maybe lol... Its tough for me to say. I practically eat "paleo diet" because if I even look at a piece of wonder bread I gain 10lbs of fat. Play around a little. Keep the protein good and high. If I were you, I would probably increase the protein first instead of just a complete upwards adjustment of calories across all macros.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic