Kiddorism
What's New?

Cable rope high rows

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Anyone do these? My gym doesn't have a high or low row machine which I used to love the Hammer Strength row machines. thinking of adding in cable rows using the rope, good, bad, indifferent?

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
It sure couldn’t hurt. You would be stimulating different secondary muscle plus possibly I would think an extended range of motion

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Hell yeah. I am lucky, my gym has a ton of diff equipment. These have helped my overall shoulder stability as most people do not have the same musculature in the back as the front.

Also do one armed high and low rows with the cable. get some core work with back.

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
my entire back workout has been with cables since my back surgery. I think I can isolate what part of my back I'm trying to focus on better.

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
It's good but challenge is stability when attempting heavy set. Either you gotta set up incline or vertical bench and have someone(or 2) hand it over to you.

barbellbeast

barbellbeast

MuscleHead
Oct 4, 2010
I stopped doing so many variations for back, stopped doing pull downs...just prone, underhand and neutral grip cable rows and my back has been growing incredibly. To be fair, I may have had more detail when I would do the pulldowns and face pulls(which in my head is what you're referring to).

BigSwolePump

BigSwolePump

VIP Member
May 24, 2017
I stopped doing so many variations for back, stopped doing pull downs...just prone, underhand and neutral grip cable rows and my back has been growing incredibly. To be fair, I may have had more detail when I would do the pulldowns and face pulls(which in my head is what you're referring to).
I sometimes only do lat pulldowns for a back workout. I vary my grip(wider,narrow, overhand,underhand) but it is probably my favorite exercise.

I typically do face pulls on the days that I focus on traps. I do them along with shrugs and upright rows. Sometimes I do a giant set with all three.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
I sometimes only do lat pulldowns for a back workout. I vary my grip(wider,narrow, overhand,underhand) but it is probably my favorite exercise.

I typically do face pulls on the days that I focus on traps. I do them along with shrugs and upright rows. Sometimes I do a giant set with all three.

I like doing face pulls at all different times too. I even like face pulls as a finisher on push days.

Need to pull 3 times as much volume as you push especially if you’re a desk jockey. It’s key for shoulder health. Upper back work is key.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I say YES for definition and recruiting the little stabilizers, weight used won't be huge but excellent for a finishing move to the point of failure with a super burn.
Hit em and drop the weight a little bit for a few super sets with as little rest in between as possible it will feel great and you will definately notice the difference.
Keep us posted

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
Anyone do these? My gym doesn't have a high or low row machine which I used to love the Hammer Strength row machines. thinking of adding in cable rows using the rope, good, bad, indifferent?
Are you talking about using a lat pull-down cable with a row handle instead of a bar? There great. I personally like using the bar that has handles about shoulder width apart and neutral grip handles on the end. Maybe a little wider than shoulder width but around there. Lean back a little while pulling down. Nothing better for lower lats. I was actually just wanting to start a thread about best exercises for lower lats when I found this thread. I had been given terrible advice for years and finally figured out what exercises will grow lower lats for me. I was told go wide on lat pulldowns. Keep your elbows out. Or do one handed cable pull-downs with your elbow out to the side and almost do a side crunch when u come down. I thought I just had bad genetics when it came to lats. Nope! Just recently found the exercises that truly develop that lower lat muscle. Those side pulldowns are great for upper back and upper lats. And obliques, lol. But if you want those wide lats the push out you need to do pulldowns with a grip that is shoulder width and keep your elbows in front of you! You need to keep your back arched and lean back as you pull down. Only a little. Maybe 30deg. And imagine pushing your elbows down and back as you squeeze at the bottom. Finally I’m hitting those muscles! The other exercise that hits them very well is a straight on row. I really like the plate loading isolateral hammer strength machine. One arm at a time using the nuetral grip in the middle. When you pull you imagine elbowing someone behind you and drive that elbow back and down. But mostly back like there is some asshole standing there in your way. Squeeze that bitch. Start with lower weights. If you don’t get that full range of motion you are missing out. My lats have made awesome improvements the last 6 months. Give it a try if you want that cobra look and not just an average V taper. If your like me it won’t disappoint!

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic