Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

C4-c7 herinated disc * need advice*

G

gio

Jul 16, 2018
im 28 year old male now I been experiencing new neck/shoulder blade/elbow issue for about 6-12 months. just now worked with a sport Chiro and tried 8 weeks off and only cardio to get it fixed.... no relief...

my MRI :.....

FINDINGS: A reduced lordotic curvature is noted. No intramedullary bony lesions are present. The spinal cord is normal in caliber and signal intensity. There is no evidence of intraspinal or paraspinal masses, or spinal stenosis. The adjacent soft tissues are unremarkable in appearance.
The craniocervical junction is intact.

The visualized posterior fossa structures, base of the skull, and C1/2 level are within normal limits.

At the C2/3 and C3/4 levels, the disk spaces are maintained. The disks are well hydrated with no evidence of herniation. The neuroforamina are patent
At the C4/5 level, the disk space is maintained. The disk is well hydrated. A 1.5 mm disk herniation is seen with an annular fissure (sequence 102, image 6) encroaching on the anterior subarachnoid space and both neuroforamina. Mild anterior vertebral spurring is noted.

At the C5/6 level, the disk space is maintained. The disk is well hydrated. A 1 mm disk herniation is seen encroaching on the anterior subarachnoid space and both neuroforamina. Mild anterior vertebral spurring is noted.

At the C6/7 level, the disk space is maintained. The disk is well hydrated. Posterolateral bulging of the disk is seen to the right with foraminal encroachment.

At the C7/T1 level, the disk space is maintained. The disk is well hydrated with no evidence of herniation. The neuroforamina are patent.
IMPRESSION:

DISK HERNIATION AT C4/5 AND C5/6 LEVELS. 2. DISK BULGE C6/7 LEVEL.

IS IT THAT SERIOUS FROM READING OF MRI REPORT..... Been to physical therapist who taught me few things I can do which I have been doing since November but can't go heavy as I would like nor do any lifts with post pain to side of neck or headache. I don't want to do surgery.... I really don't . anyone have opinion on this

Zomb131

Zomb131

MuscleHead
Jan 31, 2011
Herniation and bulges heal on their own typically. The majority of the population of bulges but are asymptomatic. The reasons people get surgery is because the pain/numbness/tingling/loss of function is too severe or all the symptoms don't go away after X amount of time and they can't take it anymore. I would advise against surgery till absolutely necessary.

I'd call around the find a doc DC or DPT that offers cervical traction. Opens up the disc spaces/joints and will allow the nucleus palposus and annulus fibers to "suck" back in. This won't happen over night, and will require multiple treatments per week. Avoid movements that hurt, but don't immobilize it. Non-painful movement will assist in the healing process. You said the DPT gave you stretches, I hope it as also strengthening as well. Might want to check out McKenzie cervical exercises. You could also try class 4 laser (30+W). The Class 4 laser will speed the healing process, stimulate blood flow, and decrease inflammation.

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
https://www.doctorschierling.com/bl...ns-of-disc-herniations-in-the-absence-of-pain

I would lean to class 4 myself even thou I do have my neck fused --c4-c6 no c5 at all ----but mine was caused by some high flying low falling war shit

if your not clinching your teeth 24/7 from pain I would steer away from being cut

Zomb is 100% correct

its about your mental toughness ---if your hurt then make a plan ...pick a course ...see more than one doc

mine is the one in the art above Dr Andrews

G

gio

Jul 16, 2018
thanks guys! yeah man I mean I been to therapy with a sport therapist..... but me on 2 day spilt.... it gets boring but been doing it since November 2018.... and it does get boring..... but I have no choice.... if I lift heavy im in pain post workout ( usually 24 hours later)..... before therapist I did try Chiro sports..... pure bs with that I can tell u that much....

I do get pain side of neck more of forehead headaches and sometimes elbow aches going to fingers but no where near teeth clinching pain like zomb mentioned above.... yeah im 28 not looking to do surgery man

Zomb131

Zomb131

MuscleHead
Jan 31, 2011
thanks guys! yeah man I mean I been to therapy with a sport therapist..... but me on 2 day spilt.... it gets boring but been doing it since November 2018.... and it does get boring..... but I have no choice.... if I lift heavy im in pain post workout ( usually 24 hours later)..... before therapist I did try Chiro sports..... pure bs with that I can tell u that much....

I do get pain side of neck more of forehead headaches and sometimes elbow aches going to fingers but no where near teeth clinching pain like zomb mentioned above.... yeah im 28 not looking to do surgery man

Not all DC's are the same. I'm a DC. What did they do?

Spinal nerves C5, C6, and C7 are effected. C5/C6 more beacuse of the herniation. Hernations means the inner disc material made it outside of the disc. That material will cause an inflammatory response; you body will fight/attack it to try to get it out of there. C5 is responsible for shoulder abduction and feeling in that delt area, C6 is elbow flexion & wrist extension and feeling in the thumb and index finger, and C7 is elbow extension & wrist flexion and sensation in the middle finger.

The swelling from the disc material could be the cause of the head aches, the swelling could be pressing on surround structures further exacerbating it.

Keep doing cardio, stick with PT, check out CERVICAL TRACTION & Class 4 laser. NOT class 3b, Class 4, and at least 30 Watts.

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
I had c4-6 fused after starting to get pain. The pain got worse and worse and I lost about 70% of the strength in my left arm. I finally found a good doctor who did an MRI after that he scheduled me with a neuro. Visited her and she suggested surgery, she went to check her schedule and I figured I'd have a few weeks to get work squared away. She came back and said see you Monday at 6am. It was Wednesday.... Turns out they didn't tell me just how bad it was until my follow up. My arm had shrunk from the muscle loss, finally 5 years later I'm about back where I was. I saw her 2 years later for my back, that surgery got booked for a month away.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

G

gio

Jul 16, 2018
YEA.... not looking to go down surgery lane.... I hate the fact to do a surgery for my neck but its like whatever I do... I get headaches and neck aches on side.. in gym wise is what I mean. like if I go little hard on biceps it comes or triceps it comes... even shoulders... it makes me not want to work out

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic