Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Bulking not going right, help

ChargerWolf

ChargerWolf

Jan 22, 2024
Hey I started getting serious about bulking 2 months ago and I have gain a few pounds but not in the way I want. I used to be 147 when I started and now I'm 151. I was happy I was making progress until I looked in the mirror and saw that most of that new weight went to fat on my stomach rather then muscle on my body. What am I doing wrong, I need to change this cause I want to build muscle and look bulkier, not fatter.

Tiny

Tiny

Dec 12, 2011
how many grams of P/C/F are you consuming daily? How many calories?

”bulking” is a generic term for being in a caloric surplus and increasing body weight. For advanced and competitive folks, this creates and unrestricted state to maximize muscle mass. The cutting phase reverses the process to shed the fat. Some muscle is lost in the cutting process too, but at the end of the bill/cut season there should be a net increase of muscle mass.

youre simply eating too much carbs or fat calories And need to dial in your nutrition. It can be tricky to do and figure out at first.

you Want enough calories to promote growth, but not excess to be stored as fat.

a lean bulk is where you want to be.…eating clean, hitting your caloric needs to avoid going catabolic, but not slamming calories just for the sake of it. Make your nutrition count.

post up your current diet.
you can eat the same boring shit every day spread across 5-6 meals plus snacks. This way your calorie and daily p,c,f are known and constant. You can then tweak up/down from there. Once you know what your body needs, you can become flexible with your meals while controlling your macros. Don’t just eat random things on random days…you have no basis for Measurement. Gotta figure it out first.

ChargerWolf

ChargerWolf

Jan 22, 2024

”bulking” is a generic term for being in a caloric surplus and increasing body weight. For advanced and competitive folks, this creates and unrestricted state to maximize muscle mass. The cutting phase reverses the process to shed the fat. Some muscle is lost in the cutting process too, but at the end of the bill/cut season there should be a net increase of muscle mass.

youre simply eating too much carbs or fat calories And need to dial in your nutrition. It can be tricky to do and figure out at first.

a lean bulk is where you want to be.…eating clean, hitting your caloric needs to avoid going catabolic, but not slamming calories just for the sake of it. Make your nutrition count.

you can eat the same boring shit every day spread across 5-6 meals plus snacks. This way your calorie and daily p,c,f are known and constant. You can then tweak up/down from there. Once you know what your body needs, you can become flexible with your meals while controlling your macros. Don’t just eat random things on random days…you have no basis for Measurement. Gotta figure it out first.
Alright, got it. Like I said earlier I use an app to guide me. It says to eat 2,800 calories a day. 145g of protein, 363g of carbs, and 97g of fat. I normally get 2,800 calories of a few 100 more sometimes since it tells me to eat a little more when I burn calories from weightlifting, 120g of protein, 270g of carbs, and 120g of fat. So I just gotta cut back on fat and a little bit of carbs?

ChargerWolf

ChargerWolf

Jan 22, 2024

The problem is 99% of my protein sources are also high in fat. It seems like with the food I got rn I can't have one without the other

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
You just need more gear. You need tren! Haha. No seriously. If most of your fat is with the protein source then drop the carbs. Carbs is where I would start anyways. Switch with more protein/fat. You should be eating same protein as bodyweight. Some say same as lean mass (muscle and bone only) which is where you are probably at. But more protein can never hurt. If your workouts suffer from less carbs then start eating most of your carbs around your workout to feed glycogen stores. And stay away from sugar. People bulk and they think they can eat whatever. Stay away from fast food. Cooking your own food will go a long way. All that processed crap will hinder your gains. I been there. Didn’t realize how important eating good quality food made on my gains. You want muscle. Then only feed your body nutritious food.

Tiny

Tiny

Dec 12, 2011
Alright, got it. Like I said earlier I use an app to guide me. It says to eat 2,800 calories a day. 145g of protein, 363g of carbs, and 97g of fat. I normally get 2,800 calories of a few 100 more sometimes since it tells me to eat a little more when I burn calories from weightlifting, 120g of protein, 270g of carbs, and 120g of fat. So I just gotta cut back on fat and a little bit of carbs?
Everybody has different nutritional needs and metabolism. Without a nutrition coach, it can be hard to navigate in the beginning to figure out what works for your body. This is where I recommend a structured meal plan as a baseline and make changes from there to learn how your body responds.

I am not a nutrition expert, but high fat and high carb is not an approach I would take. Personally I use carbs as my primary energy source and keep fats low (50-60g/daily). I get a little bloat from carbs, but it’s manageable. fat is needed for health but I do well where I’m at.

protein is what builds muscle tissue. You need enough protein to sustain and a little extra to support additional growth. General guidance is ~ 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. 200lbs @15%BF is 170lbs lean. Protein should be in the 170 gram range. Excess protein is not stored in the body and doesn’t convert to fat storage.

quality of food matters so much. Avoid processed food as much as possible. Fresh veggies, chicken, fish, lean red meats, rice, oats, etc are the staples. Avoid boxed food, frozen dinners, etc.

nutrition is something that took me a while to learn. I focused on basics and my body does better with fewer calories. I have better health and energy, stay leaner, and just look/feel better. Eating the junk had no value for me.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
quality of food matters so much. Avoid processed food as much as possible. Fresh veggies, chicken, fish, lean red meats, rice, oats, etc are the staples. Avoid boxed food, frozen dinners, etc.
This is it.

I take clients all the time and put them on nothing but chicken breast, lean ground turkey (strained and rinsed), egg whites, rice, oats, vegetables and fruit and watch them transform. Most of them come to me fat (I consider anything over 12% for males and 15% for females fat). They will usually say they have never eaten so much food in their life, but somehow they lose bodyfat... No shit dumbass, you are eating real food now. You pretty much have to have an endocrine issue to get fat eating real food.

ChargerWolf

ChargerWolf

Jan 22, 2024
You just need more gear. You need tren! Haha. No seriously. If most of your fat is with the protein source then drop the carbs. Carbs is where I would start anyways. Switch with more protein/fat. You should be eating same protein as bodyweight. Some say same as lean mass (muscle and bone only) which is where you are probably at. But more protein can never hurt. If your workouts suffer from less carbs then start eating most of your carbs around your workout to feed glycogen stores. And stay away from sugar. People bulk and they think they can eat whatever. Stay away from fast food. Cooking your own food will go a long way. All that processed crap will hinder your gains. I been there. Didn’t realize how important eating good quality food made on my gains. You want muscle. Then only feed your body nutritious food.
Got it. I do know not to eat fast food. Even a year ago when I wasn't weightlifting or bulking yet I almost never ate any fast food. And if it was it was prob just fries, I never got the allure of big macs and whoppers. Tbh they always sounded gross to me haha. Rn I'm eating 90% healthy foods with an very occasional pop tart. I guess I'll just have to be even more strict. I'll try to lessen the carbs like you mentioned in sted of rearranging my whole shopping cart to find low-fat protein sources and see where that takes me but I'll def try both. Thx

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Canned chicken with hot sauce is quick, easy, and effective snack a couple times a day to help swing those macros in the rite direction. Add a couple slices of low carb bread if you need it more filling

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
Canned chicken with hot sauce is quick, easy, and effective snack a couple times a day to help swing those macros in the rite direction. Add a couple slices of low carb bread if you need it more filling
Man, I cannot eat that keto bread. Tried a couple different ones. Terrible! Lol

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic