Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Bulking and Cutting for non-competing bodybuilders

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
I think most of us agree that diet and nutrition is the biggest part of bodybuilding. I traditionally have not been a big fan of the bulking and cutting principle and have tried to avoid it. My experience as well as many I have observed is that the true net gain of LBM is not much more than if the person went about the process of eating enough to make slower gains and limit the additional fat. The difficult part is finding that sweet spot. I track calories every day so I have no problems with knowing where my cal intake is.

My question is to those of you who aren't competitive (I realize if you're competing you have to cut) is which principle do you follow: bulking/cutting or the slower process of adding lean mass. and why? And if you bulk/cut, how high do you let your bodyfat % go before you begin to cut?

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Bulk/cut. But my bulks are not a wild, free-for-all, eat anything I want, party. I believe that you shouldn't start a bulk unless you are at a decently low bf already. I ate 6000+ calories per day during a bulk last fall and only gained 4-5% bf. So if you start the bulk at less than 14%bf, you'll end up under 20% bf after the bulking cycle. I don't measure bf while on a bulk, so I wouldn't stop it at a certain number. I think the real key to actually keeping what you've gained is not as much how you gained it, but your diet and dedication during PCT. If you blast and cruise, you still have to be consistent and dedicated when you're not blasting. I think the mistake that is made is when guys come off cycle or off blast, they slack on everything a little.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
I would say that individual metabolism plays into it as well.

6K cals is a lot. Where would you rate your metabolism SAD?

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Decent, but not off the charts. It used to be ridiculous, but I'm older and married now, so it seems like it has normalized. I think it has a lot to do with what you're doing when you're NOT in the gym also. If you're out and about, staying active, you'll lean bulk a lot easier than a guy who sits around all day except for gym time.

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
I never cut Im always bulking I watch my fat intake and thats all

M

mystic97z

May 31, 2011
i am an ecto body type, worked out for a year and made minimal gains. did a clean bulk 4K cals a day for 12 weeks, i put on 21 lbs. then i sloooowly cut it back off, i'm about 9 lbs heavier than when i started my bulk and 95% as lean. so i'm lookin at about 7-8 lbs of clean muscle gained. i also added almost 20 lbs to my bench in those 12 weeks. just goes to show you how much i wasn't eating.

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
I am cutting right now (had an injury keep me out of the gym for about 3 months and it was at the end of a bulk UGH...between stress and the lack of activity I packed on more bf than I am comfortable with), but I am really staying on top of my intake so I can keep my lean mass intake. In fact, I have actually added almost 2lbs of lean mass in a short time during this cut....cut slow and easy and up the protein, it works for me. If I can keep on top of it, I may not do a traditional bulk again...just have to keep modifying my diet to reduce the bf slowly and add muscle, it just takes alot of work and adjustment.

3J

3J

May 19, 2011
look guys there is no "one way" of doing this...

i personally like to bulk/cut... only because i bulk in the winter and cut closer to summer..

there are guys that just go for that lean muscle gain... and in gaining that muscle they up their metabolism.. and in upping their metabolism they burn fat..

it does work.. but i dont believe it to be as effective as the bulk cut method SPECIFICALLY FOR ME THOUGH!!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic