Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

bulging lumbar disc - is there a cycle for that?

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Cycle, Ice and Red Pepper cream, repeat. MRI will tell you if it is a true buldge, if not, it is a muscle strain, a swollen back muscle can impinge the nerve against a vertebra and give the feeling and sensation of something much worse then just a swollen muscle where rest is needed.

^^^Truth

Sometimes the back being out of alignment and muscle spasm can bee completely crippling, leaving you barely able to move. If this is not a bulging disc, a good chiropractor can work miracles where a doctor will only give you pills and tell you not to workout.

Me and my family have had lots of good luck with chiropractors. If you don't have a bulging disc, a good chiropractor will be able to adjust your back and relieve pain from your back being out of alignment, and from muscle spasms. Even if you do have a bulging disc, there are a lot of things a good chiro can do for you.

I always get references from my friends and acquaintances before going to a chiropractor. Not all of them are created equal. You want one who has a good reputation.

Last edited:
dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
No unless you want to "cycle" in and out of the OR! :)

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
I know that was a facetious reply but in many ways it was straight up, since MANY who are "treated" with operative intervention RETURN for a "better result" at a later date. Thus a few patients do seem to "cycle" in and out of the OR, IME!

silntrunin

silntrunin

MuscleHead
Aug 30, 2011
Couldn't agree more chiropractors are ****ing quacks and you're crazy letting someone without an MD "adjust" your back imo.

LOL, maybe the chiros you have been to are quacks. Obviously a lot of people here have never been to a reputable chiropractor. Chiros go through the same amount of schooling as a medical doctor, aside from the meds part. I would trust my chiropractor way before I would listen to a MD. All they know how to do is prescribe pills. As for the OP, get an MRI dude, it's the best way to see actually whats going on back there. Once you know exactly what the problem is then you can get or do the proper rehab. Ice, Advil and rest for now.

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
Why do people believe an MRI is the answer to what is wrong with them?

Fact 99% of NON-Traumatic BP in otherwise healthy adults is of MUSCULOSKELETAL causation and will improve over time! MRI's are useful when a patient FAILS to improve OR has an exam which is consistent with a compressive lesion!

So what are the chances an MRI will significantly alter a therapeutic plan? Oh let's see ABOUT ZIPPO!

It really does NOT matter who you see for BP (under the conditions I've described) just stay OUT OF THE OR!
Jim

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
Hey OP did the Chiropractor tell you why he believed you had a "bulging disk"? Did that Chiropractor tell you 20-30% of people with NO SYMPTOMS have a disk herniation of varying degrees on MRI?
(Disk herniations are rated on a I-IV scale).

Did the Chiropractor check and COMPARE your REFLEXES, MUSCLE STRENGTH and determine if any SENSORY abnormalities were present?

Why is it I already know the answer, NOT!

This is why patients BELIEVE they need an MRI, because many physicians and related HCP are LAZY or don't know how to diagnose anything without formal "diagnostic imaging"!

Your BEST CYCLE?

Cycle OUT OF THAT WEIGHT ROOM UNTIL YOUR PAIN FREE.

Regs
Jim

silntrunin

silntrunin

MuscleHead
Aug 30, 2011
Why do people believe an MRI is the answer to what is wrong with them? Jim

An MRI isn't the ANSWER to what is wrong, its a tool used to see what is wrong. A Dr or chiropractor or whoever, can run you through an array of test to help diagnose the problem but there is no way you can determine with 100% certainty what the problem is with just those tests.

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
LOL, maybe the chiros you have been to are quacks. Obviously a lot of people here have never been to a reputable chiropractor. Chiros go through the same amount of schooling as a medical doctor, aside from the meds part. I would trust my chiropractor way before I would listen to a MD. All they know how to do is prescribe pills. As for the OP, get an MRI dude, it's the best way to see actually whats going on back there. Once you know exactly what the problem is then you can get or do the proper rehab. Ice, Advil and rest for now.

How does "knowing what's going on back there" alter rehab. Since MRI is best utilized to determine if a patients clinical features are due to, compressive spinal or nerve root disease, providing an appropriate neurologic exam was performed, the results would only rarely be expected to alter a decision regarding rehab.

For that reason alone, an MRI is NOT indicated in the management of otherwise healthy adults whose clinical features are most consistent with uncomplicated musculoskeletal back pain. It also follows if rehab is warranted then it should commence without a pre-rehab MRI, because again the results change next to nothing.

Regards
jIM

Last edited:
ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011

Not true at all . I had years of back and spine surgery - successful too . Chiro is the last I would ever go. Orthopeadic sports medicine doc , find ones that treat professional athletes . Chiropractor can help with some but many issues would have resolved anyway . In fact certain issues Chiro can actually ruin you. Only chiropractors say they are the best . They are quacks in my book , that's why many insurance plans still don't recognize them

Big_paul

Big_paul

MuscleHead
May 14, 2014
This kind of injury is nothing to f*** with. It can get much worse. I have a hernated disc L4-L5 and have for 20 years. The only way I can live with it is to keep my core strong. I don't do heavy deads or squats anymore, but I'm able to keep some good leg development with leg press, light squats, leg extensions and leg curls.I feel fortunate to still be able to body build with some success.
Good luck with that brother.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Jul 6, 2014
Ok, bulges in lumbar region are almost always for dysfunctional movement. When the client is unable to efficiently hinge at the hip region, the back WILL compensate. The back, especially low back, is supposed to be a stable area, while the hip, mobile. Adding to that, most clients are unable to create a decent intraabdominal pressure. These dysfunctions tend to trail up to bulging discs, degenerations, chronic low back pain, chronic stiff hip, etc.

You need to learn how to breathe diaphragmatically, and activate your transversus abdominus.
You need to hinge at your HIP, not your low back (if you need a few extra inches, flex your thoracic spine)
You need to be able to create an intraabdominal pressure, especially during lifting.

Hope this helps.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic