Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Brown Rice Vs. White Rice

Mike Singletary

Mike Singletary

Sep 8, 2010
Is it true that brown rice consists of mainly complex carbs, and white rice consists of simple carbs? What are the advantages of eating one over the other?

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Yes, true. Brown rice is better for keeping a lower, steady blood-sugar level for people prone to diabetes or looking for weightloss. White rice is better for bracketing a workout for an insulin spike before and after the workout. That's about the only time I'd eat white rice, but that's just me.

goldy

goldy

Chutzpah VIP
Jan 17, 2011
google the gylcemic index and learn about the different types of carbs.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
Brown rice is not only better for you, but it's better for the environment than white rice too.

So what's the difference?

Rice goes through a variety of processes before it's ready for cooking. After harvesting, the seeds are run through a rice huller/husker for milling to remove the outer grain husks. After this process, you're left with brown rice. Nice and simple.

To create white rice, there's added steps. The germ and the inner husk (bran) is removed, the grain is then polished, usually using glucose or talc.

The crazy thing is that these added steps to turn brown rice to white remove nutrients that are sometimes then introduced back in via synthetic sources - this is called fortified white rice. The same type of thing happens in brown bread vs. white bread scenario.

The loss of nutrients is broad and substantial. Plain white rice has far less Vitamin E, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folacin, Potassium, Magnesium, Iron and over dozen other nutrients. Added to that, the dietary fiber contained in white rice is around a quarter of brown rice.

So, brown rice certainly appears to be more healthy, but where does the environmental benefit come from? It's basically down to processing - the less processing of a food, the less energy required. There's also the issue of the synthetic vitamins added back in - produced in laboratories and factories from a variety of chemicals; and these sorts of processes are well known for their negative impact on the environment.

If you're accustomed to white rice, making the switch to brown suddenly can cause a taste bud rebellion - it certainly did for me. It's somewhat of an acquired taste for many people. I suggest adding extra sauces to mask the "wilder" taste of brown rice for a while to allow your tastes to adjust. Once you've acquired a taste for brown rice, it's likely you'll never go back to white.

Brown rice vs white rice

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
I just like the way brown rice tasts

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
google the gylcemic index and learn about the different types of carbs.

Glycemic index is fairly useless for a normal healthy individual. It really does not mean much. If you are a diabetic, then,...partially...but otherwise, it's usefulness is dubious at best.

Here is a little read by Alan Aragon if you care to read up on the subject.
http://alanaragon.com/glycemic-index

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
Your right! Huh? It came up under "new posts" on my phone. Must be some quirk. Ill look closer next time ;)

That's funny because the same thing happens to me. Posts sometimes show up new but they are not. Strange lol.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Posts can be bumped by mods and admin

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Glycemic index is fairly useless for a normal healthy individual. It really does not mean much. If you are a diabetic, then,...partially...but otherwise, it's usefulness is dubious at best.

Here is a little read by Alan Aragon if you care to read up on the subject.
http://alanaragon.com/glycemic-index

I am sure you agree that insulin is an extremely anabolic hormone. That being said, why do you believe the GI is useless?

I just noticed you posted an article. I didn't read it yet.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic