Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Brown Rice Vs. White Rice

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Okay I read it and he part that speaks about insulin is true with the GI but that is all fixed in the GL. Glycemic Load is a good indicator... and it does matter for anyone looking to build muscle or loose fat.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Okay I read it and he part that speaks about insulin is true with the GI but that is all fixed in the GL. Glycemic Load is a good indicator... and it does matter for anyone looking to build muscle or loose fat.

Here is what I think, and it is a mixture of experience, bro-science and real science. :D

I think getting down to 9-10% range, it really does not matter. Nutrient timing, GI, GL, I dont think they play a large roll in the overall success or failure of a diet. I think it is more largely controlled by total cals, and macros. (note I am not saying the same will apply to general health as there are MANY great health benefits to eating a more whole based foods.) I just dont think they will have a great impact upon composition.

There was a study somewhere, and the participants were given ALL of their daily carb intake from sucrose and the other group ate complex carbs (on a deficit). At the end of the study their body compositions were no different. (that is not to say they were as healthy though).

Now after reading some of Lyle McDonalds writing on fat, I have come to believe and accept that as you pass into the extremes of lower bodyfat, things that did not once play a role, now start to have impact. I think many people who contest diet experience this. At that point, (which is going to be different for everybody), things like choice of carbs MAY have an impact. I have certainly seen how I can manipulate carbs and get certain results as my BF drops below 10% (but I have never gone to contest shape).

So that is my answer. For the VAST majority of people, (read those not prepping for a contest and already below 10%), carb selection does not have a measurable impact on composition. As Alan Aragon says, none of us eat as the tests were performed. Eating only those carbs, in a fasted state. We eat whole balanced meals. That changes the whole dynamic.

I do believe that for general health, we should seek out the majority of our carbs from whole unprocessed sources.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
I am glad you are a proponent of unprocessed carbs. Just for the mineral and fiber content it is worth it.

TheClap

TheClap

VIP Member
Oct 25, 2011
I think getting down to 9-10% range, it really does not matter. Nutrient timing, GI, GL, I dont think they play a large roll in the overall success or failure of a diet. I think it is more largely controlled by total cals, and macros. (note I am not saying the same will apply to general health as there are MANY great health benefits to eating a more whole based foods.) I just dont think they will have a great impact upon composition.

There was a study somewhere, and the participants were given ALL of their daily carb intake from sucrose and the other group ate complex carbs (on a deficit). At the end of the study their body compositions were no different. (that is not to say they were as healthy though).
This ^^^ totally true. Sometimes I get my carbs from cinnamon toast crunch hahaha. But, if rice is a major source of food for you, you need to make sure you are getting thiamine from someplace else or you need to be eating brown rice.

Sandpig

Sandpig

MuscleHead
Jul 13, 2012
I prefer white. Brown is generally too dry for me.

Especially since I eat a lot of it on the job and it's usually cold.

S

Sammy555

Feb 22, 2012
White by far. Easier to digest and no stomach distension or discomfort. A few hundred grams of brown a day no issue but when carb cycling I like white rice on high carb days

burkdog24

burkdog24

Apr 10, 2013
Yes there is a difference. Complex carbs ( Brown Rice ) is lower on the GI scale and is a slower release of energy. Simple Carbs ( White Rice) is higher on the GI scale and is a quick release of energy. Really at the end of the day as long as you hit your daily carb macro then it does not matter what type of carb it is. There is no such thing as a good or bad carb.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic