Latest Member
pbtom

Brock Lesnar Vs. Junior dos Santos: Stop The Presses! TUF 13 Coaches Comfirmed

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Brock Lesnar Vs. Junior dos Santos: Stop The Presses! TUF 13 Coaches Comfirmed | Bleacher Report

Can't wait for this one, I love this show and Brock as a coach will be awesome!

Yeah yeah, I know...It's everywhere. Junior Dos Santos will face none other than Brock Lesnar as coaches of season 13 of The Ultimate Fighter series.

And oh! Just for your information, the winner gets a crack at the title.

Like most always, irresponsible media outlets started spreading rumors about lighweight champion Frankie Edgar and his counterpart Gray Maynard having been set to be named as coaches for the next season of TUF, always using the lousy line, "according to sources close with the event."

Well, no more rumors, no more speculation.

The two heavyweights are set for another season of the reality show, but now some questions in the air are: What can they bring to the table as coaches? Why not Frank Mir vs. Brock Lesnar? Is Brock Lesnar well-rounded enough to guide someone through MMA training?

Let's do a little brakedown, shall we?

First, why not Mir-Lesnar? Many people think it made a lot of sense.

One, the rubber-match would brake the tie between the two. wo, the rivalry between the two would make for amazing reality TV. Yeah, I know we had enough already with "Kos" acting like a school bully and Rampage Jackson and Rashad Evans acting like thugs, but the truth is, it would've been really tense reality TV between the two of them.

So, why not Lesnar-Mir? Guess we will have to wait for Mr. Dana White to address that.

Second, what can they bring to the table for the athletes in the house?

Many people consider JDS to be the best boxer in the heavyweight division and is also a brown belt in BJJ under Antonio "Minotauro" Nogueira and Anderson Silva. Don't make the same mistake that a Chael Sonnen made by calling that a "belt out of a happy meal."

JDS, who was set to fight for the heavyweight title against the man who handled Brock Lesnar the beating of his life, is an absolute knock-out artist. Safe to think that he has a lot to pass on to his trainees in the house, both standing and on the ground.

But what about Lesnar? An accomplished wrestler and a freak of a human being, Brock Lesnar ground and pounded his way to the UFC heavyweight title after losing his first fight in the UFC to Frank Mir.

A lot of people feel Lesnar was exposed by Shance Carwin (who exposed himself in turn) at UFC 116, and Cain Velasquez just made good on people's suspicions about Lesnar.

Can Lesnar really handle a completely well-rounded MMA athlete? Is Lesnar a well-rounded MMA fighter?

The answer to those questions: No, no he couldn't and no he isn't.

Lesnar will pose a threat to any fighter he opposes because of his massive size and veteran wrestling skills, but as true as he was beat at UFC 121, he can't hang with the true MMA fighters.

Now coaching TUF is a lot more than a marketable image and a fan-drawing, mass-moving machine. It's a lot more than watching the two coaches taunt each other, it's about the fighters in the house.

So, what about the fighters in the house? What if most (not to say all) share the popular opinion about Lesnar having nothing much to teach them other than wrestling? What about the striking and submission defense?

Do you think the fighters picked by Lesnar will feel like they are getting the short end of the deal? After all, to be a coach you need a lot more than a polarizing, charismatic image, right?

On the other hand, do you think JDS language barrier will be an obstacle? Well, I asked a very good friend of mine and fellow MMA writer, Lacey Neher, owner and lead writer of Real Women & Men's MMA, who has met JDS and says "he spoke pretty good English" when they met.

Maybe we just get some subtitles when the accent gets too thick, but judge for yourself—the following is an interview with dos Santos after the Lesnar-Velasquez fight.

We can only wait and see what comes out from this match-up as coaches and the fight.

All I really know is...

I can't wait!

Thanks for reading.

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
Love that show. Lesnar will one day be a great well rounded mma fighter he has a great base to start with. Just needs to expand his training. THe guy is an animal no getting arond that and one day he will hold the belt again...just not soon though

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
He really needs to hire a good boxing coach and learn to take a shot in the face

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
I think that author has a few things mistaken. Brock -has- handled well rounded mixed martial artists before in Mir, Herring and Couture. As far as submission defense goes, Brock also has a high submission defense percentage, he escaped several attempts before he was submitted. I also don't know if the author has ever seen a single season of the ultimate fighter, but each fighter can bring in coaches to teach specific things. Also, the Mir vs Lesnar rubber match made absolutely 0 sense to most of the fans, even Dana himself said that his twitter blew up with people telling him it wasn't the match they wanted. This guy doesn't keep up on MMA Very much if at all.

He talks about Brock being exposed, which he was, on the flip side of things, JDS who he calls an absolute knockout artist didn't finish his last opponent because the stylistic difference. A fighter who is concerned about being taken down is going to have their weight shifted differently to protect against the shot.

M

muaythaifighter

Jan 21, 2011
He really needs to hire a good boxing coach and learn to take a shot in the face

HAHAHA..he hired Peter Welch as a boxing coach..LOL....I hope Brock is not doing Welch's F15 fighters work out..LOL..sorry...
I just dont like Brock..

D

DIEZEL

MuscleHead
Jan 26, 2011
Brock needs coaching himself but i still like to watch him fight. With the boreing last season of GSP they need to get the ratings up, and who else better then brock. He brings in the crowd and the money, him and GSP brought in more revenue then any other fighter as of lately, and also got payed more then any other fighter.

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
HAHAHA..he hired Peter Welch as a boxing coach..LOL....I hope Brock is not doing Welch's F15 fighters work out..LOL..sorry...
I just dont like Brock..

are you actually in muay thai or just a fan. curious cuz I have been in martial arts for roughly 15 years

G

GOAL200

Jan 15, 2011
Brock's main issue is lack of experience. When he gets overwhelmed by strikes, he turtles up/doesn't advance position/doesn't know what to do/gets lost. He's more ATHLETIC than anyone else in the world at that weight IMO, but the other big boys who know how to bully him into a corner WILL BEAT HIM until he humbles himself enough to train hard with strikers who put him in that position over and over and over until he doesn't flinch in the pocket. The Carwin fight was crazy how he literally flinched while striking then covered his head and somehow made it out of the round. Taking a beating and not being knocked out is not "advancing your position"

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
Well, anyone would flinch from getting punched by Shane Carwin and he made it out of the round because he was intelligently defending himself and had blocked about 50 of the shots that were thrown at him. Really there are only two guys in the entire division that can force Brock to stand up, he can likely take any other fighter down to the ground and put them away.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic