Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Brandin Lilly fit expo accident

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
No way to do that with the squat stands they used. Usapl uses them to I think. Maybe even IPF.

I didn't watch the vid but I'm guessing they used a weastcarry or a forza. And yes, the IPF uses the forza comp squat rack. I've trained using one and you have to set something up free stading from above but you can create support strap set ups.

USPA also uses them.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
More than anything - safety straps/stands/whatever - it shows the importance of good spotters.

I know the meet director and I trust that he did his best to get the best guys he could to spot on the platform, but they were too inexperienced to help.
We spot for 1000+ squats nearly every week and from that experience you can tell when a lifter is in trouble. A 300lb squat goes wrong differently than a 500, 700, or 1000..... you have to know what to watch and how close to stay.

It's way harder to stay close for the raw/single ply guys who descend fast but it can be done. We had a guy blow out both knees ( like Brandon did) with a 920 squat and that bar didn't budge more than an inch because we could see that something went wrong and reacted quickly.

Nothing could have stopped the blowout, but better spotters could have prevented it from snowballing in to something so bad.

Again, I trust that the meet director found the best guys he could and that the spotters did their best. Just saying that a quality spotter is worth their weight in gold.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I need to preface this with:

I don't like Brandon. He's always been nice to me but he's done some selfish, horrible stuff that made me lose all respect for him. I won't get in to it, because it's not relevant here though.

With that said, I wouldn't wish this on anybody. I hope he has a good recovery and comes back to compete again. Those spotters had no idea what they were doing and after that I'm honestly impressed with how well he handled the whole thing. Hopefully it's a sign of a change in character.

It's ironic after I read your post and then posted how we agreed about Brandon being shady, out comes a shit storm about allegedly him posting that his insurance would not pay for a "pro powerlifter" and he had $100,000 in medical bills. So up pops a donation page. Some say Chad Wesley Smith did it. Some say Corey Hayes, from Iron Mafia. Honestly, I think Brandon was in the background. Needless to say he got some donations. Not sure how much. Then came lifters like Dan Green and Sam Byrd calling bullshit on the insurance denial and then asking why he is above being responsible for his own medical bills. Sam even went as far to post that Brandon made more than he did this year and Sam is a frickin attorney. The dude gets paid for Crossfit seminars. Paid by Animal. Paid for his Cube Method and 365 Strong training manuals. Paid for several other appearances. So his claim of not having any money is bullshit. He has capitalize on a lot of things and stepped on the backs of many to get where he gets. Hell, he even had issues getting everyone t-shirts from his "Cube Method". Several never got their shirts. Part of me says this is karma, but I don't wish this on anyone, BUT I also don't agree capitalizing on others sympathy by spinning quite a web of lies. Ironic after some backlash, I saw on the Juggernaut Training System site that they ceased the fundraiser and will allegedly return to money to all donators. My thoughts is I have even lost more respect from Brandon from this last little scam. IF he is a "pro powerlifter" that's great, but let's realize that even though he claims pro status, that means he gets paid or accepts cash prizes. Super, BUT until you sign a six figure contract and have benefits, powerlifting is a hobby not a job. The rest of us have to have a job and benefits. Why not him. Furthermore, we all take a chance of taking our last attempt and ending our career and even potentially losing our job due to any injury incurred while competing or training. Shit happens. Again, I don't approve of Brandon's tactics and behavior, but I wish him the best in his recovery. Maybe some off time will give him some time for soul searching to become a better person.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Dan greens wife sparkle posted a comment on Facebook that was pretty nasty but deserved IMO about Brandon's fundraiser. Then suddenly there are over 700 comments about every scumbag thing he has done from stealing equipment at wsb to stealing the cube to stealing dan's program and calling it cube boss, domestic violence and infidelity. It went on and on.

Then miraculously his insurance covers his medical expenses? At least there were allegedly refunds made.

Looks like he was caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Dan greens wife sparkle posted a comment on Facebook that was pretty nasty but deserved IMO about Brandon's fundraiser. Then suddenly there are over 700 comments about every scumbag thing he has done from stealing equipment at wsb to stealing the cube to stealing dan's program and calling it cube boss, domestic violence and infidelity. It went on and on.

Then miraculously his insurance covers his medical expenses? At least there were allegedly refunds made.

Looks like he was caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

Yea..... she posted something today about how they talked about it and buried the hatchet.

I completely agree with you and Hawkeye - it really sucks that he got hurt. It sucks that now's the time when all this came out. But, when you burn enough people eventually it'll come back to you.
Hopefully he makes a full recovery both physically as well as spiritually and can get his life on track.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Yea..... she posted something today about how they talked about it and buried the hatchet.

I completely agree with you and Hawkeye - it really sucks that he got hurt. It sucks that now's the time when all this came out. But, when you burn enough people eventually it'll come back to you.
Hopefully he makes a full recovery both physically as well as spiritually and can get his life on track.

I've chatted with Dan a few times, IMO they did what they needed to do as public figures within our community. After knowing what I know now from several sources; I've lost a ton of respect for BL.

In the end, I hope that he comes back as a smarter coach and a humble man.....but I think I'd have a better chance at wishing upon a penny thrown in a fountain.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
As for for Adan burning the hatchet, Dan did it for the sake of powerlifting, I'm betting Brandon won't be on the Green's Christmas card list. It was done to try to unify powerlifting and quash things for the sake of RUM and powerlifting. He ****ed Dan over pretty bad when Dan was doing a fundraiser too. Promised to show. Booked a ticket and cancelled an hour later and used some lame excuse. If I can post a big email that exposes Bramdpn I will to paste it. I know Lilly amd when the Cune came out he sought me out and had me try it out for free with feedback. He is personable and comes of as a nice guy but if you look a little deeper you find a flawed individual. Sad because he had a good thing going for him and had powerlifting on the upswing. I, again wish no injury or bad to come of him, but besides his physical healing, he needs to work on himself as a person. Besides his nuttswingers, he has lost a lot of respect in the powerlifting community. Sad thing is, you only get so many second chances. I wish him the best in his recovery but I pray he finds a way to rights the wrongs he has done and the people he has screwed.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
And it's not just Dan Green, Sam Byrd took exception to his lil donation stunt. I believe Paul Carter did as well. Many have just chosen to not involve or pile on but share the same sentiment. Whether or not Brandon actually started the fundraiser, he started the wheels rolling by playing the "poor me" card with some of his friends. So he manipulated them as well. As Byrd put it "I am an attorney, and he made way more than me." So ol Brandon isn't swimming in poverty. The biggest obstacle for Brandon is walking again and then working on rebuilding the bridges he burned and people he screwed.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic